Thread: kelong like, fishing farm?

Default kelong like, fishing farm?

Hi guys, i flied to philippines once, and when the plane is near to manila, i saw a lot of 'cross' all over the coastal sea, it looks like kelong or something of fishing farm, i am not really sure, anyone know what is that? what you call that? i have tried to search through internet without any results. Please help.
    Thank you

Default Re: kelong like, fishing farm?

Quote Originally Posted by LENS
    Hi guys, i flied to philippines once, and when the plane is near to manila, i saw a lot of 'cross' all over the coastal sea, it looks like kelong or something of fishing farm, i am not really sure, anyone know what is that? what you call that? i have tried to search through internet without any results. Please help.
    Thank you
    i believes what you saw are those wooden stick cross that were built away the coast line for the fisherman to stand on top and do their fishing there. those villagers are poor people and not everyone can own a boat. so the boatman with others villagers will gang up together to do fishing in this way. boatman will drop one by one at the cross and let them do their fishing. the boat will go round and round just to collect fishes. this way they can cover a greater fishing area and get more fishes.

Quote Originally Posted by jesser
    i believes what you saw are those wooden stick cross that were built away the coast line for the fisherman to stand on top and do their fishing there. those villagers are poor people and not everyone can own a boat. so the boatman with others villagers will gang up together to do fishing in this way. boatman will drop one by one at the cross and let them do their fishing. the boat will go round and round just to collect fishes. this way they can cover a greater fishing area and get more fishes.
    Yeah, i saw it on Discovery Travel before. A tough balancing act. Butt hurts too.

Quote Originally Posted by jesser
    Hi Jesser, that's sound interesting, that's what u saw in philippines?
    anyway, i attached the photo i took.
    Someone may have an idea, it is a kelong ??

Are they prawn farms or some kind of fish farm?