Thread: Aw1 compared to Nikon D5100

Default Aw1 compared to Nikon D5100

Hi guys

Am thinking of switching to AW1 but not sure whether it's a good idea...
    Thou I wanted a more sturdy camera like the AW1...

I currently have a Nikon D5100 n love using my 35mm prime lens...

Mostly for travel shooting, street shots...

Anyone has any suggestion to share about the quality or usage diff of them?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Aw1 compared to Nikon D5100

Google gives something like this;
    http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-1-aw1
    http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...rorless+rugged
    Maybe you want to share a few more of your thoughts why the D5100 is not sturdy enough? Many people do travel photography and streets with D5100 without issues. What makes you think that the camera can't do that?
    EOS

Hmmm... Unless you intend to take your camera underwater or for water/snow sports a fair bit, you'll be paying for features (water sealing/gaskets, shockproof design, etc) that you won't actually use much (and you end up carrying excess weight of these features too, compared to cameras without).

I suspect you might miss what you can get with your D5100 + 35mm prime wide open, as well as the wide variety of lens choices. That would be the biggest difference to me anyway. From what I've read, the key features of the AW1 like waterproof/shockproof/freezeproof are applicable only when used with the two lenses developed for it so far (1 NIKKOR AW 11-27.5mm f3.5-5.6 and 1 NIKKOR AW 10mm f2.8), so options seem to be limited for now.

The AW1 seems to be the kind of camera that you get to complement an existing system, not to replace it totally, unless your needs are indeed specifically mainly in the area of underwater and/or water/snow sports use.

Thanks both for the thoughts!

Yes, I am afraid to miss my D5100 ... But I do also do water sports n I do have another simpler waterproof camera...
    So wanna explore whether to change to one body entirely or to still have 2 instead...

I do agree the lens choices are not ALOT for the AW1 but I heard we can also use a adaptor for the prime lens...

Quote Originally Posted by Nnodmax View Post
    Yes, I am afraid to miss my D5100 ... But I do also do water sports n I do have another simpler waterproof camera...
    So wanna explore whether to change to one body entirely or to still have 2 instead...
    Actually, at the current rate of $400 for body+kit lens, I'd just keep it.

I do agree the lens choices are not ALOT for the AW1 but I heard we can also use a adaptor for the prime lens...
    That's true! Note that your 35mm will give you a 94.5mm equivalent field of view due to the 2.7x crop.

Keep in mind that this would result in losing the water sealing and other features. In addition, the effects of the smaller sensor kick in: deeper Depth of Field.
    EOS