Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: White elephants

Default Re: White elephants

Quote Originally Posted by dkw
    Oh great! Degenerated to personal attacks, have we? Guess you have run out of ideas then. Lets see, from your profile you own a D70 (+ some lenses I guess), and list travel as your interest, but I guess its too much for you to take if SMRT makes some profit so that they can pay their staff (most of whom could not dream of owning a DSLR) properly and won't be a burden on the taxpayer right? May I ask how much you are "suffering", since you are making so much noise on the behalf of the downtrodden and oppressed?
    Usually i take taxi, sometime i take MRT. I am just plain not happy, that's all and i won't suffer even if they increase another 50% but there are thousand and thousand that are suffering, if your main interest is photography i think chances of you seeing thing happen around you are greater than those who sit in the office and TCSS and i don't give a **** about other country profit or losses because i am concern about my own country fellow here that why when thing are going the wrong direction i am not happy.

I said you will be a great person to run a company but if you are to run a country and profit is the main thing than the people will suffer.( I am sorry if this hurt ) Nothing personal..

Quote Originally Posted by Hommie
    You are asking for volunteers for Charitable Organisation here not public services.

Even charitable organisation like NKF, is paying peanut to their CEO.

Quote Originally Posted by soma
    Usually i take taxi, sometime i take MRT. I am just plain not happy, that's all and i won't suffer even if they increase another 50% but there are thousand and thousand that are suffering, if your main interest is photography i think chances of you seeing thing happen around you are greater than those who sit in the office and TCSS and i don't give a **** about other country profit or losses because i am concern about my own country fellow here that why when thing are going the wrong direction i am not happy.

I said you will be a great person to run a company but if you are to run a country and profit is the main thing than the people will suffer.( I am sorry if this hurt ) Nothing personal..
    Soma,
    one of the ways to help the poor is to make sure the economy stays competitive and efficient. That way, there will at least be jobs. For those who are really poor, directed and focussed aid is the way, not an in-efficient system like fare control, which benefit all in general but the poorest only a little. I think the so called TCSS are doing a great job. I am all for helping the poor, but you must help them the right way!

Lightbulb Re: White elephants

well, the 'white elephants' did served its purpose. it got a response from the MoT's minister. hurray for residents here!

Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    So... if they built the station... and dont use it... it generates zero $$$ from it but suffers from depreciation..... how can it be justified... not considering public or private company.... instead, you end up increasing fares across the board... what gives?

Sounds like poor planning....

Btw, anyone notice that the NE line build quality is worst the than the original MRT... not so precise, when the train stops, the gap between the station and the train is quite wide.

Just my useless 1/3 f-stop...
    North East line , NE2 << enuff said.

I have an idea, learning from the ERP scheme and taxi companies.
    Maybe the MRT can introduce a "surcharge" for passengers who enter or alight at these "not-so-profitable" stations, like $2? Everybody happy?
    (Pls dont throw eggs at me, I feel bad...)

Zplus,
    if you were building infrastructure like roads and train lines, it makes sense to plan ahead and forecast usage, and if possible, build redundancies into the system. If you notice, on some of our expressway flyovers, you get weird little extensions hanging out into nowhere. Then suddenly, 5 years later, it all comes together when new road extensions are built.

Take the case of the Dover MRT station. When they eventually built it they had to build AROUND the track, disrupting service to a small degree and no doubt much more inconvenient to construct than having built it in the first place.
    Of course, I agree totally that redundencies are a good idea if it makes sense..... We all bring spare DSLR bodies as a redundency for important shoots....

But.... if this is the case with MRTs... why was there no redundency for Dhoby Ghaut.... which crosses NE line... a couple of years later...

Oh Ok... so we forgot...

Or redundency for CTE when its serving so many new / old HDB towns...

Yikes... why didnt we think that there would be so many users... nevermind lets stick an ERP there and see what happens.....

Next thing you know, you'd be building stations in ulu places just in case. How do you justify Marina South MRT station?? I bet there are 400 passengers there. Hahaha!
    Well, maybe last month during the 7th month... but confirm not the rest of the year....

In the case of Buangkok, no doubt they had anticipated that it would be open eventually due to forecast urban planning, so it would have made great sense to have put up the physical structure in the first place when building the line rather than post-hoc, and much cheaper too. However, if they were to open without the requisite critical mass of population, far from generating $$$, they would probably be losing money from operating the place, with electricity cost, staffing, maintenance etc. Currently, if they don't have electronics in place, the maintenance is minimal and so is the depreciation, at least in relation to what it would cost to operate the place.
    Hehehe... well, only if the calculations are shown that it takes X dollars to run a station and predictably Y number of passengers needed to cover it. But, how was it determined that there will be Y number of people using that station. Was a survey carried out to surrounding households? Or its just some guy's idea when he isn't even staying there.....

Dont get me wrong... I am a happy citizen of Spore. Nice place and most things work. And we all get relatively cheap cameras to play with... But sometimes you get a couple of "what gives"??

But you gotta admit it... a lot of people prefer MRT to buses which are never on time and have cranky bus drivers...

Just my useless 1/3 f-stop...
    Last edited by Zplus; 30th August 2005 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    But.... if this is the case with MRTs... why was there no redundency for Dhoby Ghaut.... which crosses NE line... a couple of years later...

Oh Ok... so we forgot...

Or redundency for CTE when its serving so many new / old HDB towns...

Yikes... why didnt we think that there would be so many users... nevermind lets stick an ERP there and see what happens.....
    What can I say, they got it wrong for the CTE (although they can widen that by another 3 lanes and I don't think it will solve anything) and Dhoby Ghaut I guess. Retrospection is 20/20 vision, isn't it. Too easy to sit in our armchairs and throw brickbats. As you say, most things run well, so i guess the planners are "usually" right, but not always. Important to benchmark against other people/countries too, i.e. how good is our hit rate.

Zplus,
    if you were building infrastructure like roads and train lines, it makes sense to plan ahead and forecast usage, and if possible, build redundancies into the system. If you notice, on some of our expressway flyovers, you get weird little extensions hanging out into nowhere. Then suddenly, 5 years later, it all comes together when new road extensions are built.
    talk about redundancies

do u know how many exits are there for little indian MRT? There are as much exits as raffles place MRT!

The exits for raffles place MRT are spreaded out and extends to reach many other buildings.

but for Little Indian MRT, 4 of the exits are facing each other across the road, some of them are closed because no one use it...it is not only a waste of land, but also $$ to build so many MRT exits.

Lightbulb Re: White elephants

the police are investigating into complaint about the 'white elephants' placards. i do not see the fuss at all. yes, the police are doing their work. i hope nothing serious comes out of its investigation. i support charles chong's position on this.

Who? the Gestapo?

"Von Smallhausen... my coat please.... Let us find where the resistance have hidden the painting of the Fallen White Elephantes with the Long Noses..."

I jest of course.... its monday.

heard that the Police are investigating who the culprits are man!

Well good luck to whoever placed it up..... better clear up his or her stuff and all so that nothing to incriminate him or her.... and can be sure that a background checked will be done to see if he or she is opposition supporter or a threat to "national security" by ISA.

The excuse, investigating because there is a complaint..... who will complain!!??? Unless its the minister himself or a member of his delegation that feel..."How can anyone be allowed to challenge the govt??" Anyway everytime someone gets called up for questioning for political stuff, the official press release by the police is that they are investigating a complaint..... haizzzz

Typically I think its more of the middle management guyz who got a talking-to by the Minister for inefficiency. Got very agitated and decided to lodge a complaint since the white elephants basically ruined his plans to clean up the estate and make the place look nice for the Minister.

The white elephants came most unexpectedly. Subtle and sharp enuff to hit the vital point thus the complaint to police was in vengeance.

Some ppl still have this mentality of 'throwing flowers to welcome Ministers' and anyone who dares upset this plan will suffer swift retribution.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

The police investigation could also be a subtle warning to all.. we might be getting more liberal but dont think that we are allowing you monkeys to climb over our heads. When we tell you that the MRT cant be opened due to this and that reasons, you accept it. You can complain about it but we will just give you more official reasons. However overstep the line and face the wrath.....

Well, I guess this might be a possibility too. Who knows? The complainant might even be the Minister himself!

Ahh~~~ Conspiracy Theories. Don't u just love them?
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Im not surprised there is no complaint at all. Police equals Home Affairs equals ISD which reports straight to minister which equals ruling party. The minister might laugh in front of the press about the white elephants and maybe he did take it in a nice way. But to other ministers Im sure, its a slap in the govt's face. If you dont curb this resistance now, it is inviting for more dissent. Hence a warning to all.... remember your place in society and stop nagging about a MRT station.

Nah... the Gestapo is more descrete....
    Its probably the roadsweeper who kenna OT to clear away the elephants that complain....

Or some Greenpeace activists.... who thinks these are polluting the environment...

Or some kid who wanted to keep the cute elephants but found them missing and wants the uncle who made them to make somemore for him.... only to make them in pink his time...\

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123