Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 101 to 114 of 114

Thread: You are the reason I smile...

  1. #101

    Default Re: You are the reason I smile...

    Quote Originally Posted by NormanSelvaraju View Post
    Hi ONEEYE

    Thanks for the sharing!

    I think you make some absolutely valid points about the need to align the purpose of the image (portrait) with the execution of the shot.

    I think I pigeon-holed myself a little too quick by saying portraits when I should have described my vision for the shot. It was to portray a slightly dark and somewhat moody scene of a girl contemplating. Just like I had mentioned, the inclusion of the other elements in the scene was intentional. Based on this description, as a viewer, how successful do you suppose I was in achieving that?
    Ok so you are trying to create a scene or story. It's still about the girl right? One thing you should know is how the eye sees. It will automatically see the brightest part of a picture first.So in this case the lampshade at the upper right corner is distracting.Ideally the girl should be the brightest relative to the surrounding.Either you reduce the light on the red curtains or use the light of the lampshade or simulate it.

    Oh, and to address the parts about shoot straight on and having flat images, that's the reason I depend quite heavily on lighting. To create shadows for depth. Does it work?
    Now I have to warn you that you are shooting models so straight on is not a problem because they are
    small/thin but what if it's like the malay couple earlier in the series.A straight on shot would make her look broader/fat and no woman likes that. Thats' where shadows come to play to reduce/hide the apparent size or thickness. Cheers! Yes shadows for depth/3D is great.

  2. #102

    Default

    Hi ONEEYE

    The red curtains! That's what was distracting from the image. I can't believe I didn't notice it till you brought it up! Good point!

    I understand where you are coming from about shooting (or not shooting) head-on. I believe it works for some images and not so for others.

    I have photos of the model facing the side and pronouncing the S curve with triangles to boot. I want to make it work for this photo (since we are taking about this photo and not one of the precious ones with the Malay lady). How do you propose I do that? (Btw, I would prefer to not have to use your proposed idea of introducing a cleavage to accentuate a head in shot)

    Cheers

  3. #103

    Default Re: You are the reason I smile...

    Quote Originally Posted by NormanSelvaraju View Post
    #49 - Putri Casual Studio (Blue)

    Putri Casual Studio Blu 1 by Above Norm, on Flickr
    Hi ONEEYE

    The red curtains! That's what was distracting from the image. I can't believe I didn't notice it till you brought it up! Good point!

    I understand where you are coming from about shooting (or not shooting) head-on. I believe it works for some images and not so for others.

    I have photos of the model facing the side and pronouncing the S curve with triangles to boot. I want to make it work for this photo (since we are taking about this photo and not one of the precious ones with the Malay lady). How do you propose I do that? (Btw, I would prefer to not have to use your proposed idea of introducing a cleavage to accentuate a head in shot)

    Cheers
    Aiya..it depends on what kind of look you want not neccessary cleavage if you want an elegant classy image.Still a woman want to look classy,powerful and sexy (super woman,desired/admired) as well.The problem is if shoot head on her chest look flat!(unless client don't/not interested but don't think like a man) Can you improve on this angle? Yes! if you play with the lighting.Remember shadows give depth? It also give or SHAPE or FORM too!

    As far as I can see the girl is lit from above as the shadows under chin/arm shows.If you want to accentuate her chest side lighting is the way or at slight angle but also the face will be in shadow so may need additional light.Use the modeling light on studio flash or tungsten lamps to get the look you want then switch off.Walk around the model to survey the lighting until you get the right look by moving lights.Same goes for the background it should not be brighter than the model (say by 1 stop or more).Here's where an incident/flash exposure meter becomes useful until you are so expert you can judge by looking and experience.

    Worse to worst can use photoshop to darken curtain background, lampshade ,antique record player and part of sofa I think it's called dodging.Then it becomes moody. Cheers.

    Edit: Also notice the highlights on the sofa can be distracting as eye will see the brightest areas first.
    Last edited by one eye jack; 3rd November 2017 at 09:56 AM.

  4. #104

    Default Re: You are the reason I smile...

    Quote Originally Posted by one eye jack View Post
    Aiya..it depends on what kind of look you want not neccessary cleavage if you want an elegant classy image.Still a woman want to look classy,powerful and sexy (super woman,desired/admired) as well.The problem is if shoot head on her chest look flat!(unless client don't/not interested but don't think like a man) Can you improve on this angle? Yes! if you play with the lighting.Remember shadows give depth? It also give or SHAPE or FORM too!

    As far as I can see the girl is lit from above as the shadows under chin/arm shows.If you want to accentuate her chest side lighting is the way or at slight angle but also the face will be in shadow so may need additional light.Use the modeling light on studio flash or tungsten lamps to get the look you want then switch off.Walk around the model to survey the lighting until you get the right look by moving lights.Same goes for the background it should not be brighter than the model (say by 1 stop or more).Here's where an incident/flash exposure meter becomes useful until you are so expert you can judge by looking and experience.

    Worse to worst can use photoshop to darken curtain background, lampshade ,antique record player and part of sofa I think it's called dodging.Then it becomes moody. Cheers.

    Edit: Also notice the highlights on the sofa can be distracting as eye will see the brightest areas first.


    Roger That!

    Thanks for the pointers. Will keep em in mind.

    Cheers

  5. #105

    Default Re: You are the reason I smile...

    #50 - BleuBlanGeisha 1

    BeauBlancGeisha-82-Edit by Above Norm, on Flickr

  6. #106

    Default Re: You are the reason I smile...

    #51 - BleuBlancGeisha 2

    BeauBlancGeisha-239-Edit by Above Norm, on Flickr

  7. #107

    Default Re: You are the reason I smile...

    Quote Originally Posted by NormanSelvaraju View Post
    #50 - BleuBlanGeisha 1

    BeauBlancGeisha-82-Edit by Above Norm, on Flickr
    Straight on again! Colours are nice but photo don't quite speak if you know what I mean.In hindsight you could ask model to move to slight angle as that will present an aesthetic view again 3D rather than straight on 2D.Although exposure is spot on for model but umbrella is slightly over exposed but I guess you have to make a compromise in a good way.I feel the makeup is a bit too wayang/operatic vs classic japanese geisha style.In fact the lips will be drawn much smaller,more like a smootching look.

    The hands could do some reposing as fingers should be close together rather than spread out like a bunch of bananas.Again it's the details that get you.Again shooting straight on makes her face broader hence use of angular perspective is more pleasing.Also note since umbrella is brighter than subject it distracts from the model.(The eye is led away).


    Keep them coming bro.
    Last edited by one eye jack; 9th November 2017 at 02:50 PM.

  8. #108

    Default Re: You are the reason I smile...

    Quote Originally Posted by NormanSelvaraju View Post
    #51 - BleuBlancGeisha 2

    BeauBlancGeisha-239-Edit by Above Norm, on Flickr
    Notice when model is brighter than surrounding the eye automatically zoom in on model?
    Fingers pointing away from body to negative space look better I think.
    Last edited by one eye jack; 9th November 2017 at 02:55 PM.

  9. #109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by one eye jack View Post
    Straight on again! Colours are nice but photo don't quite speak if you know what I mean.In hindsight you could ask model to move to slight angle as that will present an aesthetic view again 3D rather than straight on 2D.Although exposure is spot on for model but umbrella is slightly over exposed but I guess you have to make a compromise in a good way.I feel the makeup is a bit too wayang/operatic vs classic japanese geisha style.In fact the lips will be drawn much smaller,more like a smootching look. The hands could do some reposing as fingers should be close together rather than spread out like a bunch of bananas.Again it's the details that get you.Again shooting straight on makes her face broader hence use of angular perspective is more pleasing.Also note since umbrella is brighter than subject it distracts from the model.(The eye is led away). Keep them coming bro.
    Heya. Thanks for being an ardent visitor!

    I see that you have an issue with the use of a head-on composition here. I see your point of view (head-on. Haha). But upon reflection, I wouldn't recompose the shot or reposition the model in this case. This is the vision I wish to express.

    Oh yes. The details about the fingers. My bad. Good eye!

    Ah... Umbrella should have been toned down. That escaped me during post processing too.

  10. #110

    Default Re: You are the reason I smile...

    Quote Originally Posted by NormanSelvaraju View Post
    Heya. Thanks for being an ardent visitor!

    I see that you have an issue with the use of a head-on composition here. I see your point of view (head-on. Haha). But upon reflection, I wouldn't recompose the shot or reposition the model in this case. This is the vision I wish to express.

    Oh yes. The details about the fingers. My bad. Good eye!

    Ah... Umbrella should have been toned down. That escaped me during post processing too.
    I respect your artistic vision. That's how you create your own style!

  11. #111

    Default Re: You are the reason I smile...

    #52 - BeauBlancGeisha 3

    BeauBlancGeisha-101-Edit by Above Norm, on Flickr

  12. #112

    Default Re: You are the reason I smile...

    #53 - BeauBlancGeisha 4

    BeauBlancGeisha-19-Edit by Above Norm, on Flickr

  13. #113

    Default Re: You are the reason I smile...

    #52 and #53
    Congrats bro now you are getting to the Tao of portraiture. The model pops!

  14. #114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by one eye jack View Post
    #52 and #53 Congrats bro now you are getting to the Tao of portraiture. The model pops!
    Thanks OneEyeJack

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •