Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: lending of cameras...

Default Re: lending of cameras...

I dun think this uncle is so rich to afford 1DsMkIII for his nieces when he can barely afford a 20D himself.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    I dun think this uncle is so rich to afford 1DsMkIII for his nieces when he can barely afford a 20D himself.
    By the time your nieces grow up , camera price will drop liao

20D by that time should be cheap.
    寒冰不能斷流水 枯木亦會再逢春

Quote Originally Posted by alechim
    DIE!!!!! if my family even think of touching my camera! I only lend those who knows about DSLR!

Since she do not know about photpgraphy then advise her to use a PnS loh...tell her by not understanding a DSLR will result in getting lousy photos, definitely she do not wanna come back home without a single nice shot
    You mean you die or the camera die ?
    寒冰不能斷流水 枯木亦會再逢春

Quote Originally Posted by DarkForce
    You mean you die or the camera die ?
    whoever touches my camera at home!

Quote Originally Posted by azul123
    If you feel that by not lending, it will cause friction between your families then go ahead, but try giving her the cheaper zoom lens and keep the good lens at home, if she don't know the difference then all should be ok.
    have to look from another angle as well. if after lending the camera comes back in bad shape, will it cause friction between your families?

my take is...if you are willing to lend it, must be prepared for it to come back in worse shape, if it comes back at all.

once i lent my relative my very first slr (manual) and a non-original lens. the set took months to come back to me and when it did the lens had lots of fungus growing. 2nd time he again requested for it. i thought ok lah relative... lend him same cam with original lens. again took months to come back and now original lens got fungus also. sent both cam and lens for cleaning and now its waiting to be loaned out to him again. in the mean time it keeps the rest of my collection safe from him

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao
    How about setting up some conditions for the loan? Kekeke...

Seriously, talk to her about how precious you DSLR is to you lor...drill into her skull that this camera is PRECIOUS to you and only out of goodwill you lend it to her - if she's the careless kind then make it clear to her that she's responsible for any scratches or damages to your "precious".
    you mean "i treasure this dslr more than i treasure our relationship" kind of thing ah?

Using DSLR does not mean better pictures, you must remind her of that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bluz
    camera = "material" which is replaceable
    cousin = family (loved ones!)

i just lost my cousin and no amount of money could get her back. if you love your cousin lend it to her.

**do you know that there is an Award winning Clubsnapper who would lend his DSLR (then it was a Nikon D2H) to other clubsnappers?
    Hi Bluz, haven't seen you for quite awhile here. sorry to hear about your cousin. Agree with you on that about family.

Take care

PE

i know i know! put a very small memory card for her, once she run out of space she will not shoot anymore, if someone will to borrow a camera most likely they will not buy a memory card and europe will cost much more. She will keep the camera lan lan!

otherwise load the most biggest lens, battery grip so that it will tire her before she could use it 24-28mm 2.8 thereabouts or put a weird focal length for her, eg a fisheye or a prime 50mm or 100mm macro and say my camrea cannot zoom one.

photography is all about being creative!
    Last edited by Belle&Sebastain; 29th August 2005 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chngpe01
    Hi Bluz, haven't seen you for quite awhile here. sorry to hear about your cousin. Agree with you on that about family.

Take care

PE
    Hi Chngpe01, long time indeed. Busy bringing up little one who is now 4+. Hope all is well your end.
    As for this thread--our perspectives are possibly from that of a different generation. It is still amusing to see how people are attached to "things" that are replaceable.

Quote Originally Posted by alechim
    whoever touches my camera at home!
    Wah fierce lah...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkForce
    By the time your nieces grow up , camera price will drop liao

20D by that time should be cheap.
    We're looking like... 10yrs?

Ah well, lets hope full-frame DSLRs get more affordable by that time or u'll still see me on my 300D. *sob-sob*

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    i know i know! put a very small memory card for her, once she run out of space she will not shoot anymore, if someone will to borrow a camera most likely they will not buy a memory card and europe will cost much more. She will keep the camera lan lan!

otherwise load the most biggest lens, battery grip so that it will tire her before she could use it 24-28mm 2.8 thereabouts or put a weird focal length for her, eg a fisheye or a prime 50mm or 100mm macro and say my camrea cannot zoom one.

photography is all about being creative!
    Try a 400mm DO on the body.

Will put off anyone instantly.

An ex friend of mine borrowed a mint Minolta9000, and returned it with crack LCD + numerous scratches and dents.

Quote Originally Posted by Benign
    An ex friend of mine borrowed a mint Minolta9000, and returned it with crack LCD + numerous scratches and dents.
    now is an ex friend,or fiend......

Quote Originally Posted by Benign
    The 'ex' must has been added after the incident..

Quote Originally Posted by bluz
    camera = "material" which is replaceable
    cousin = family (loved ones!)

i just lost my cousin and no amount of money could get her back. if you love your cousin lend it to her.

**do you know that there is an Award winning Clubsnapper who would lend his DSLR (then it was a Nikon D2H) to other clubsnappers?
    This is the biggest crock of baloney. Cousin is NOT family. Family can push a bit, relatives, absolutely not. If by not lending the camera, the relationship will be damaged, it is not a relationship that is worth saving.

Using your lost of your cousin as a comparison is low. Lending camera has absolutely nothing to do with life and death!!! Lending camera has nothing to do with love. In the first place, ibite's cousin should not have asked.

Another apple and orange comparison, and that happens all too oftern, lending a D2H to another CSers, the camera stays in Singapore, the period it was lend out is much shorter, and the person borrowing it knows who to handle a camera! We are talking about lending a camera for a week or two, maybe longer, to someone who has no idea how to handle the camera, "play play, try try" as ibet said herself, and to be taken on a trip to Europe.

My advise to ibite, bid farewell to your DSLR, when it comes back, if it comes back, it will never be the same again!
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Blood thick or not, end of the day, if the camera returns in damaged state, the blood will sure dilute one so avoid that situation, say no right from the beginning.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    Make a "DSLR" label and stick it on your cute little camera. He/She won't notice.
    hahahaha....

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet
    This is the biggest crock of baloney. Cousin is NOT family. Family can push a bit, relatives, absolutely not. If by not lending the camera, the relationship will be damaged, it is not a relationship that is worth saving.

Using your lost of your cousin as a comparison is low. Lending camera has absolutely nothing to do with life and death!!! Lending camera has nothing to do with love. In the first place, ibite's cousin should not have asked.

Another apple and orange comparison, and that happens all too oftern, lending a D2H to another CSers, the camera stays in Singapore, the period it was lend out is much shorter, and the person borrowing it knows who to handle a camera! We are talking about lending a camera for a week or two, maybe longer, to someone who has no idea how to handle the camera, "play play, try try" as ibet said herself, and to be taken on a trip to Europe.

My advise to ibite, bid farewell to your DSLR, when it comes back, if it comes back, it will never be the same again!
    That's the problem you see.

People tend to use the 'family' word to pull strings and get away with stuff which would have resulted in a murder case for others.

To put it in a nasty word 'Emotional Blackmail'.

If dat's the case, I ought to be shot there and then for telling my aunt that I'm going to charge her $800 for full day wedding photography for my cousin. Both of which I had never seen before in my entire life.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast