Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: lending of cameras...

Default Re: lending of cameras...

Quote Originally Posted by bluz
    camera = "material" which is replaceable
    cousin = family (loved ones!)

i just lost my cousin and no amount of money could get her back. if you love your cousin lend it to her.

**do you know that there is an Award winning Clubsnapper who would lend his DSLR (then it was a Nikon D2H) to other clubsnappers?
    I agree with you totally!!! Family is the most important thing in this world. What's the use even if you have the most expensive camera but no one to share your love?

Family ties, once broken, is very hard to mend...

Quote Originally Posted by ibitemynails
    SIGH..

my cousin wants to borrow my camera...

and i have no (or little) choice but to lend..

then i'm so afraid that something will happen to my camera...

sigh!!!

i don't want to lend anyone my camera..

if it's my cute little camera i don't mind..

but not my dSLR.. yet.. that is the one she asked for....

*sob* *sob*

Hi ibitemynails,

Guess blood is indeed thicker than camera! .... How about renting one for her! That way both of you are happy!

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...highlight=rent

Quote Originally Posted by ibitemynails
    i mean if she wants to borrow when i am around i'm alright.. but she wants me to lend her to bring home to play and for her to bring to europe...

*sigh*

and i really can't say no...
    Wow!~
    You better get it insured, just in case...
    At least you can get some cash back if anything happens....

got a better solution get a cheap walkabt lens (28-200 - i can sell u my cheapo vivitar one) and cheap dslr body (canon d30) and loan it to her after that sell it off at a loss at least the relationship isnt stained my thoughts.

Lend her body but not the lens!

Quote Originally Posted by koolz
    Lend her body but not the lens!
    She has to drill a hole in the body cap to turn it into world's first digital pin-hole camera.

heheheh to rub salt to the wound... lending things to cousin.... when they damage it, your parents would usually say... if you wanna lend then you have to be prepared for this... hehehehe ~sigh~ in this world... good people always on recieving end.... its the way life is....

Quote Originally Posted by idor
    heheheh to rub salt to the wound... lending things to cousin.... when they damage it, your parents would usually say... if you wanna lend then you have to be prepared for this... hehehehe ~sigh~ in this world... good people always on recieving end.... its the way life is....
    I agree. I'm always a very straight forward person, I tell them if anything spoil in my camera they will pay for it, so if you cannot afford to pay for the camera, don't borrow from me. Rather draw the line now then be without a camera for 3-4 months because the people borrowing it refuse to pay.

Default Kinship or material possession?

Seems there is no way out for you to lend the camera to your cousin. So when she comes round to pick up the camera, show her this thread.

Tell her, 'These are the excuses, and 1001 reasons that fellow photographers suggested I give, in order to worm out of lending the DSLR to you. But I trust that you are not anything like that, and you will respect that this is my property, and take care of it as if it were your own. Have a good holiday, and take great pictures!'

If u know her skill, yes. Just go ahead.
    If u dunno her skill, no.

Doesn't mean she's your cousin asking for something, means that you have to do it.
    One of my relatives hoped that I would help them to do a free wedding shoot - sorry, no go.

Its ur camera, u have the last call. The rest of the stuff like ur parents nagging and stuff are just like pesky mosquitos. Either u swat them aside or u catch and crush them in ur hands.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

No one touches my DSLR, other than photographers that I know...not even my brother...
    eat. drink. shoot

Lend it to her.

If your two families are as close as it is, then I'm sure they'll be willing to pay for any repairs if the camera gets damaged.

If you want to lend but afraid of the potential damage to the camera then you should tell the parents of your cousin how much the dSLR costs. That way, they won't be that shocked when you have to ask for money for any repairs.

Sometimes, it's better to make things clear upfront but in a diplomatic way, of course. No matter how close both families are, certain things shouldn't be left to assumption.

This is all of course assuming that the parents/cousin is resonable.

If they are not reasonable and you have no choice in the matter then lend it and pray very hard or post a WTB now for a cheap dSLR and hope you can get one before she leaves.
    Last edited by radedward; 28th August 2005 at 01:13 PM.
    Work: PicasaWeb | Play: Animus3 | Mobile: Tumblr

maybe not so much to the extent of damaged or malfunctioning of the camera, but those minor dents and nicks that would otherwise spoil the cosmetic (possibly resale value) appearance of the body.

in such cases, the lender would be in a fix, whether to tell her if she caused a small scratch on the body or not (so what if she's being told? she can deny flatly or remark that that tiny dents didn't affect the performance of the cam). dun tell, one would feel unhappy, because the new cosmetic damages occured after the camera was returned and din exist when the cam is loaned out.

my 2 cent's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by radedward
    Lend it to her.

If your two families are as close as it is, then I'm sure they'll be willing to pay for any repairs if the camera gets damaged.

If you want to lend but afraid of the potential damage to the camera then you should tell the parents of your cousin how much the dSLR costs. That way, they won't be that shocked when you have to ask for money for any repairs.

Sometimes, it's better to make things clear upfront but in a diplomatic way, of course. No matter how close both families are, certain things shouldn't be left to assumption.

This is all of course assuming that the parents/cousin is resonable.

If they are not reasonable and you have no choice in the matter then lend it and pray very hard or post a WTB now for a cheap dSLR and hope you can get one before she leaves.

Personally, I have my reservations on lending things especially to my relatives since I noe all their 'pattern'.

When lend = swee-swee.
    After return = not swee.

Den when u demand an explaination, they'll say that ur camera crap, etc.

That's me. If u noe ur cousin and their family to be such 'bird-people', better dun.

Gaffer the whole cam up... as much as possible...

i pray for your camera............................
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar
    No one touches my DSLR, other than photographers that I know...not even my brother...

Same for me. My whole family do not even dare to open my dry cabinet. If they do ....
    寒冰不能斷流水 枯木亦會再逢春

It'll be the end of the road for them...

My 8yr old niece holds my camera. My 4yr old niece holds my camera...
    But not without extremely close supervision.

Full setup cam with flash weighs at apprx 1kg which is still a little heavy for them.
    I juz hold it gently and they'll take aim and shoot.

Well, maybe when they are a little older. When I can afford a 5D, I'll give my 300D to them.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    It'll be the end of the road for them...

My 8yr old niece holds my camera. My 4yr old niece holds my camera...
    But not without extremely close supervision.

Full setup cam with flash weighs at apprx 1kg which is still a little heavy for them.
    I juz hold it gently and they'll take aim and shoot.

Well, maybe when they are a little older. When I can afford a 5D, I'll give my 300D to them.
    "Well, maybe when they are a little older. When I can afford a 5D, I'll give my 300D to them"

By that time, they don't want your 300D and ask for 1DsMarkIII liao.
    寒冰不能斷流水 枯木亦會再逢春

DIE!!!!! if my family even think of touching my camera! I only lend those who knows about DSLR!

Since she do not know about photpgraphy then advise her to use a PnS loh...tell her by not understanding a DSLR will result in getting lousy photos, definitely she do not wanna come back home without a single nice shot
    Last edited by alechim; 28th August 2005 at 08:43 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast