Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Light Fall

  1. #1

    Smile Light Fall

    (Click on image for true photo.)


    Hi all,

    I took this photo in a shophouse along Neil Road, 157 Neil Road to be exact. We were there for a architecture project. I noticed the light filtering in from the air well lighting up the dark room and the textures and the roughness of the floorboards.

    Any comments and opinions are more than welcome!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Light Fall

    A nice pic there. Can even crop to square format for better feel. Just my another no brainer suggestions again.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Light Fall

    I think the stubtle colours, patterns and shades on the wooden roof and the plastered walls are OK - a consistent theme. To me the only thing that dont fit is the littered floor. Maybe if it was swept, and u have an immaculately clean floor with regualr patterns, which I am sure will have interesting textures, then it would balance the theme, irregular vs regular, 'dirty' vs clean ... just my thoughts ...

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,916

    Default Re: Light Fall

    so the school used the 'bat cave' as a project site afterall, hehe ...

    i think it's a rather normal shot of the rundown place. nothing too interesting. the decaying structures, peeling walls and broken windows ... and then the open space. architecturally interesting, but photography wise it's just another shot of the place for me, probably because i've been documenting this place for more than a month already. try to work the story behind the building into the pictures, may spark some interesting perspectives ... the master bedroom at level 2 is much more interesting IMHO, any shot of that?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    3,532

    Default Re: Light Fall

    u have good eyes for shadow , light and detail ! I think this is an example of a gd photo where they say " the light meets dark "

  6. #6

    Default Re: Light Fall

    spectrum/s11loop: thank you for the kind comments. hope to be able to improve more

    espion: this was a off the cuff shot not a organised photoshoot so quite impossible to clean up the floor, whats more if I cleaned up the floor, it would disturb the so called originality of the shop and by the way a lot of bat crap on the floor. ^ ^

    eikin: wow you sound like you know this buildling very well! You are right, it IS a bat cave. bats were flying all over the main room on the 3rd floor. I have a shot of the master bedroom at lvl 2 but its quality is not as good as no tripod was used. a pity though, i feel i could have got more good photos with a tripod but it was a site visit not a photography outing T.T

  7. #7

    Default Re: Light Fall

    I my own very humble opinion, I think the bulb and the beam is distracting. if it was cropped out, the photo may become better. Then, the window would become the main focus with the lines on the wall leading to it. But, i may be wrong.....
    Nice photo nonetheless, with good play of lights.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Light Fall

    lovely..... but would much prefer a white background on which to mount the image as the image seems a little dark already.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,916

    Default Re: Light Fall

    Quote Originally Posted by Gosu_John
    eikin: wow you sound like you know this buildling very well! You are right, it IS a bat cave. bats were flying all over the main room on the 3rd floor. I have a shot of the master bedroom at lvl 2 but its quality is not as good as no tripod was used. a pity though, i feel i could have got more good photos with a tripod but it was a site visit not a photography outing T.T
    know this building? you bet man, i even know where the 'missing portrait' is, had to take a picture of that, quite scary too bad my photos are for docu purposes, so should not be posting unnecessarily. yes you definitely need a tripod for this building. then again, you shouldn't stay inside too long, the bat droppings are poisonous. there was one session when i was inside for almost 2 hours, almost died of suffocation, was already puking the moment i got to the front court

  10. #10

    Smile Re: Light Fall

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    know this building? you bet man, i even know where the 'missing portrait' is, had to take a picture of that, quite scary too bad my photos are for docu purposes, so should not be posting unnecessarily. yes you definitely need a tripod for this building. then again, you shouldn't stay inside too long, the bat droppings are poisonous. there was one session when i was inside for almost 2 hours, almost died of suffocation, was already puking the moment i got to the front court
    How exciting! Where is the missing portrait? I saw in pictures presented by Peter Lee in his book where the HUGE portrait is but when we were on site, there was only ONE portrait. Where is the other one?

    Puking?? hahaha that bad ah? We are discussing whether the 3 storey block including the stacked toilets are a later addition onto the shophouse.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Queenstown
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: Light Fall

    Quote Originally Posted by espion
    I think the stubtle colours, patterns and shades on the wooden roof and the plastered walls are OK - a consistent theme. To me the only thing that dont fit is the littered floor. Maybe if it was swept, and u have an immaculately clean floor with regualr patterns, which I am sure will have interesting textures, then it would balance the theme, irregular vs regular, 'dirty' vs clean ... just my thoughts ...
    au contraire.. IMO, the litter adds to the feel of the pic..

    YES.. a square crop would enhance the picture..

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,916

    Default Re: Light Fall

    Quote Originally Posted by Gosu_John
    How exciting! Where is the missing portrait? I saw in pictures presented by Peter Lee in his book where the HUGE portrait is but when we were on site, there was only ONE portrait. Where is the other one?
    wouldn't exactly call it exciting, it's the 7th month, quite the portraits aren't that big either, the frames made them look big



    Quote Originally Posted by Gosu_John
    We are discussing whether the 3 storey block including the stacked toilets are a later addition onto the shophouse.
    that's up to your 2+ years of architectural training to decide the answer is pretty obvious ... btw it isn't exactly a shophouse, more of a row house. this house is somewhat related to Tun Tan Cheng Lok btw ... research abit and you should be able to get information
    Last edited by eikin; 30th August 2005 at 08:16 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •