Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "MARRIAGE? laws are A RAW DEAL FOR MEN"

Default Re: "MARRIAGE? laws are A RAW DEAL FOR MEN"

Quote Originally Posted by furrycake
    ho lah ho lah.. i give up
    DONT get married, guys
    Hahaha! Don't worry... this is kopitiam after all... tee hehehe!
    Here have a cuppa and cheer up... like you said not all women are rotten and abuse the law and not all men gives up on marriage....

But.... Its Signing Your Life Away!!!

Kidding !

Just my 1/3 f-stop...

Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    Hahaha! Don't worry... this is kopitiam after all... tee hehehe!
    Here have a cuppa and cheer up... like you said not all women are rotten and abuse the law and not all men gives up on marriage....

But.... Its Signing Your Life Away!!!

Kidding !

Just my 1/3 f-stop...
    no lah.. i quite forgotten that this forum is dominated by guys. i dont want to go into arguments.. pts taken that marriage is bad for sg guys.. full stop

think in a crude way, the marriage cert means...
    official cheque book for the guys to sign, and the official license for guys to ahem their wives
    爱是要时间慢慢培养的。。

While one cannot choose his/her gender, one can choose who he/she marries. It's your choice, nobody can force you to get married. Bearing in mind all the legal implications for marriage, it just makes it more incentive to select your partner with greatest care.

Deregistered

Yeah, especially when you divorce her, she gets 1/2 your body, 1/2 of the len you have and 1/2 of your tripod too!!!

So... that seems to spell the end of man kind in singapore....
    There might not be any "man" left in Singapore. Everywhere you go only husbands can be seen in the island.

Time for Men Liberation Front?

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Yeah, especially when you divorce her, she gets 1/2 your body, 1/2 of the len you have and 1/2 of your tripod too!!!
    I think they take cash too

sign....IF ONLY they take HALF my expenditure..

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    To them these stuff are zilch net worth items. Bottomline is, spent all your money on bodies and lenses.....

i think it's fair if an uneducated woman who cannot find sustainable employment gets maintenance after divorce.... but increasingly, we see the pay of men and women equalise as a result of equality laws.

Now, laws that compel equal opportunities are justly reasonable... However, the current sociatal practices seem to indicate that too many women are whining about being the weaker sex with the same mouth that proclaims themselves as being an empowered equal...

the reasonable thing for the courts to do is, if the husband and wife are earning equal pay (or in some cases, the wife earning more than the husband...), to disqualify the wife from receiving maintenance... the current system reeks of ancient hypocrisy.

Hahahaha! Quite true... we are paying for it in our lifetime... sigh....
    So... when you wanna go for some desserts!?
    Short of bearing a child, house work like mopping the floor, cleaning the toilet and baby sitting sure made me a "better" person.

Desserts? Sure, next Wed which I had suggested to LW?

Quote Originally Posted by litefoot
    Short of bearing a child, house work like mopping the floor, cleaning the toilet and baby sitting sure made me a "better" person.

Desserts? Sure, next Wed which I had suggested to LW?
    Wed's fine...
    Will contact LW, the central man!

Quote Originally Posted by itisnottheendorg
    ...I love debacle even more!!

TODAY Newspaper, 26 August 2005

THE bold suggestion by reader Wilson Wong ("Time to replace marriage with a cohabitation contract?", Aug 23) that the physical element in fidelity can be decoupled from the emotional has generated the controversy he predicted it would.
    Why should the physical be de-coupled form the emotional?

...Also predictable, but most disappointing, was that none of the men whose reactions were published had any stomach to address the
    Disappointing because they don't conform to your point of view?

...far more significant point made by the same reader that marriage offers nothing to Singapore men.
    I see you have neatly side-stepped my reply to you in a previous post. May I ask why, despite your copious banality, you never replied to this --> http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...28#post1489328,

or this, -->http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...53#post1489353

Marriage benefits a man substantially, more than for a woman.

...Sexist double-standards apply even before marriage.

Women are seen as savvy for insisting that prospective husbands must earn enough to foot the bills, never mind that this reflects a materialistic, selfish and sexist mindset. Men who want wives who are docile are, on the other hand, derided for being insecure and sexist.

Upon marriage, men are expected to be the main providers. Naturally, then, the bigger share of nurturing and care-giving should fall on women.

Yet, men have had to put up with a female chauvinistic ideology that "spins" this division of labour as a manifestation of the oppression of women by men.

A man's role in providing is easily quantifiable, in terms of dollars and cents, with women having ready recourse in the form of the maintenance summons.

What, on the other hand, can a man do if his spouse is an indifferent wife or mother? What can he do if his spouse is seldom interested in physical contact but demands fidelity as a matter of right?

Beyond filing for divorce, Singapore men can do absolutely nothing.
    Incoherence. There are plenty of married women who give up flourishing careers to take care of their families, and there are many other women who struggle to juggle family and work, effectively working two jobs. Where is your accounting for these folk?

...Filing for divorce isn't easy for men, as the system and society are too ready to blame our gender for the breakdown of marriages. Given the general conditioning by female chauvinistic influences to see men as rogues, will such complaints by men get a fair hearing?
    Please quote your sources. Please highlight some cases where men have had unfair hearings because of this perception of men in general being "rogues". Or is this another unsubstantiated rant?

...Our division of matrimonial assets in divorce is sexist and unfair towards men.

Wives are primary care-givers and secondary providers, while men are main providers and secondary care-givers. In deciding on the division of matrimonial assets, the woman's financial contributions are rightly considered.

However, even the most indifferent wife and mother will be able to rely on a virtual presumption by the Courts that she had made substantial non-financial contributions.
    The point is, both spouses have borne the stress and sacrifice in discharging their roles, so why should a wife be awarded a premium for being the primary care-giver, when the husband gets none for faithfully discharging his role as main provider??
    The point in any divorce is the best protection of the family unit. Does it place an undue burden on men? In certain circumstances, I'd say yes. But look at it from the point of the greater good. It is impossible for an outsider to make a totally fair and accurate assessment of relative contributions of either party in running a household. Even for the involved parties a fair assessment is not possible! So, what do you expect the courts to do? Between being conservative and giving the primary care-giver a generous allowance to run a household, or holding back to be financially "fair"? I think the answer is obvious, as unpalatable as it may be, and it is the correct one.

...The practice of almost automatically awarding sole custody of any child of the marriage to the wife is also sexist, outdated and unfair to men.

The bond formed with a child by living with him or her daily is likely to be a lot closer than anything achievable with access only on weekends, no matter how hard a man tries. Effectively, divorce means that a man loses his children to his wife.
    I know many children who are more attached to their full time working fathers than to their full time housewife mothers. Your inexperience comes shining through on this one. As to the issue of sole custody....

...The much-welcome decision by a High Court judge to award joint custody will hopefully portend a more enlightened trend..
    ...you've just contradicted yourself.

...The question that men and the media in this country don't seem to have the guts to ask often enough is why the modern, confident, independent woman is not half as enthusiastic about removing what should be seen as a patronising provision of the law as she is about demanding equal benefits..
    I think its because many Singaporean men feel that the system works well as it is. Many modern, confident, independent women become un-modern, dependent housewives to look after their children, a very big sacrifice in my book. If the law is designed to protect these women, who are the majority by the way, well and good.

...Let's face it: For Singapore men, marriage stinks. .
    What can I say? I feel sorry for you if you think the main thing that matters in a marriage is the exit clause.

...And the gathering female chauvinist campaign that which forces men to do more housework while women retain the right to decide whether they want to reciprocate by paying more of the bills stinks to high heaven..
    This is almost too humorous! "The gathering female chauvinist campaign" that "Forces men to do more housework"! Gawd, the paranoia. Yoo hoo, the women out there, quick someone is on to your conspiracy!

...But it seems to me that unless Singapore men find the guts to stand up and demand fair treatment for themselves, they will deserve only the scraps the female chauvinists deign to give.
    What goes around, comes around. If you treat your wife and family fairly, chances are, you will get fairly treated in return.

pts taken that marriage is bad for sg guys.. full stop :
    No it isn't. Don't let these crusty cynical guys give you the runaround.

think in a crude way, the marriage cert means...
    official cheque book for the guys to sign, and the official license for guys to ahem their wives
    Again untrue, plenty of men and women who view marriage in an idealistic way, as it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by dkw
    No it isn't. Don't let these crusty cynical guys give you the runaround.

Again untrue, plenty of men and women who view marriage in an idealistic way, as it should be.
    no worries dude, they're just having fun. hehehe

i would think that, all these phobia or marriage jitters arise becos, people have been hearing too many scary things about it. tomb of love, imprisoned for life, women acting like typhoon (came in a rush and took away your assets in a drift), adultery, etc.

ive heard of marriages which have failed badly, and less numbers of marriage that are successful. cant blame people for being skeptical.
    爱是要时间慢慢培养的。。

Hmmm .... Well my friend always said ...

If you can get milk from the shelf, why bring a Cow home ...
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHahhahahahhaha

damn that's a good one, never heard it b4 tho..

ready for FS?

I heard another one..

why buy a pig home when you just want a sausage ?
    爱是要时间慢慢培养的。。

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG

FSing tonight? Wish I can join

Quote Originally Posted by jOhO
    MUAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHahhahahahhaha

damn that's a good one, never heard it b4 tho..

ready for FS?
    ya .. think go ard 7pm .. wanna join ?? then go eat frog legs togather ??
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast