Thread: newbie (naive?) question on photoshoots: why hotel not studio

Default newbie (naive?) question on photoshoots: why hotel not studio

Why are so many photoshoots booked in hotel rooms instead of studios? Aren't studios about the same cost or even cheaper, especially if you are only going to use for a few hours. Plus they have lots of lighting equipment, extras, and are just plain better for shooting? Maybe this is a dumb newbie question, but what exactly is the benefit of a hotel room over a studio rental besides cramped space and poor lighting?
    Last edited by pablosg; 26th December 2014 at 05:07 PM.

Blog Entries

Good question... let.us know too if you manage to find the answer...

Default Re: newbie (naive?) question on photoshoots: why hotel not studio

Haha. I've wondered the same thing too. Always assumed it's because they want to use it as a built-in decorated set? In a studio, you'd have to build the entire set if you want it to look like a hotel room?

OK, I thought it was just me finding it weird, thanks...

Given the theme of many of the shoots arranged to take place in hotel rooms, I would have to say that Kandinsky has a point. It's the setting. Plus perhaps even the added option of a bathtub and shower scene photos become a possibility too.

Never been to one. Just postulating.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Good question... let.us know too if you manage to find the answer...

lol...
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

so you tell me, what the most popular photoshoot themes nowadays?

what kind of setting best depict such theme?

Sorry, No prize for the correct answer!

anyway...

from a photographers stand point.
    book a hotel room is so convenient, and there are existing furniture available, other than chairs, bed, counter top, you can shoot beside the windows (if there is any), in bath tub, and shower place too.

does any studio offering these?

and please don't tell me you just want to shoot the model in plain black, white, blue, red or whatever color background available, is so, than why don't just shoot at HDB void deck? it is free and you can photoshop whatever backgrounds you fancy on later.

and from a studio owner stand point, they don't want any possible hanky panky things take place in their premisses, sorry!! strictly business! unless they know the people are trustworthy, else they just turn them down.

and also, talk about lighting, if it is studio strobes set up, how are you going to let photographers take turn to shoot?
    everyone will tell you this; "NO WAY!, I paid money liao, I want to bang till all my memory cards are full!!"
    remember this, no strobes can take such abuse too.

so to let everyone fire at own free will like a firing squad, is either use available light, or set up continuous lighting, or just let photographers use their own hotshoe flash.

Just go and join a photoshoot and see what is your finding.
    Btw, I don't join or ever join such shoots.
    Last edited by catchlights; 26th December 2014 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post

anyway...

book a hotel room is so convenient, and there are existing furniture available, other than chairs, bed, counter top, you can shoot beside the windows (if there is any), in bath tub, and shower place too.

and please don't tell me you just want to shoot the model in plain black, white, blue, red or whatever color background available, is so, than why don't just shoot at HDB void deck? it is free and you can photoshop whatever backgrounds you fancy on later.

and from a studio owner stand point, they don't want any possible hanky panky things take place in their premisses, sorry!! strictly business! unless they know the people are trustworthy, else they just turn them down.

and also, talk about lighting, if it is studio strobes set up, how are you going to let photographers take turn to shoot?
    everyone will tell you this; "NO WAY!, I paid money liao, I want to bang till all my memory cards are full!!"

so to let everyone fire at own free will like a firing squad, is either use available light, or set up continuous lighting, or just let photographers use their own hotshoe flash.

Firing squad? Now I'm intrigued... lol.

anyway...

After reading your reply, I'm actually very curious now

My suspicion: None of these GWC (Guys With Camera) is able to make the bed properly.
    In a studio they would need to clean up, a hotel the room service will clear up...
    EOS

Catchlights summed it up well.

Catchlights gave the best answer Liao , ahem. It's really more for a specific type of shot where somehow the aim is to grab as many shots as possible

Ya Uncle Ben, remember last time I Pm-ed you a question about a couple who approached me to shoot a theme in a similar vein!
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    Ya Uncle Ben, remember last time I Pm-ed you a question about a couple who approached me to shoot a theme in a similar vein!
    so isn't it the most convenient way is just use hotel?