Thread: Have you checked the market price before selling your items?

Deregistered

Default Have you checked the market price before selling your items?

Hi,
    Recently I sold several lens on CS. I always check the market price before set my price.
    But I'm really surprised that some people sell their no-more-warranty item even higher than the brand new one.

Last time a guy post a WTB Sigma 17-50 len at 500$.
    I SMS him that the BN one is sold 530$ in TK Foto.
    He thanked me and said another guy just offered him 550$ for an used len.

You also can find easily some guys sell EF 40mm f2.8 pancake for 220$, but Cathay sells new one for 200$ only.

What do you think? People either don't know the market price, or they just want to take advantages from poor beginner?

I want to hear from you.

Thank you very much for reading.
    Last edited by txn929; 18th December 2014 at 04:25 PM.

Default Re: Have you checked the market price before selling your items?

Buyer willing.... Seller willing....

Up to individual to do their own homework....

Scuba & Father... For Life

Deregistered

That's true.
    But I feel very sorry for buyer when they can buy a better item with lower price.
    You know photography is an expensive passion. It's a pain when you keep thinking about an item that you cannot afford
    I just hope (yes, hope) if seller also can do "homework" before selling, so both sides would be happy
    Last edited by txn929; 18th December 2014 at 04:28 PM.

Not only on camera stuffs, other purchase also must do homework. Esp online store can offer better rate than you went to the shop itself, esp during promo n on same stuffs. I recently saves $100+ on a graphic card, plus free delivery to my house. One stone hits 2 birds.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    Not only on camera stuffs, other purchase also must do homework. Esp online store can offer better rate than you went to the shop itself, esp during promo n on same stuffs. I recently saves $100+ on a graphic card, plus free delivery to my house. One stone hits 2 birds.
    Yah, my first (and only up to now) lesson is to buy my DSLR from Harvey Norman instead of other shops like Cathay, Alan, TK...

Quote Originally Posted by txn929 View Post

....People either don't know the market price, or they just want to take advantages from poor beginner?
    I think those people who can afford to pay a second-hand lens more than new market porice is not a poor beginner.

They are a rich, generous and kind-hearted beginner.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I think those people who can afford to pay a second-hand lens more than new market porice is not a poor beginner.

They are a rich, generous and kind-hearted beginner.
    Ha ha, may be. I think these buyers only saw the listed price on official website.
    Last edited by txn929; 18th December 2014 at 05:25 PM.

Blog Entries

Sometimes it is really hard to know. Like a tamron long lens i advertised. Only recently found out that market price has just dropped.

Hi,
    Recently I sold several lens on CS. I always check the market price before set my price.
    But I'm really surprised that some people sell their no-more-warranty item even higher than the brand new one.

Last time a guy post a WTB Sigma 17-50 len at 500$.
    I SMS him that the BN one is sold 530$ in TK Foto.
    He thanked me and said another guy just offered him 550$ for an used len.

You also can find easily some guys sell EF 40mm f2.8 pancake for 220$, but Cathay sells new one for 200$ only.

What do you think? People either don't know the market price, or they just want to take advantages from poor beginner?

I want to hear from you.

Thank you very much for reading.
    You have to pay more to those second-hand sellers the time they spent testing the lenses for you.

New lenses from the shop haven't undergone such rigorous and extensive testing in actual field condition.
    Last edited by Sion; 18th December 2014 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Sometimes it is really hard to know. Like a tamron long lens i advertised. Only recently found out that market price has just dropped.
    That's right, market can be quite fast and homework is mandatory. I just got a Tamron 70-300. I saw the original receipt (6months old, from AP in SLS), compared what I just got as e-quote and I felt a bit sorry for the seller. Either he got overcharged or the street price dropped by 20% ..
    EOS

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    That's right, market can be quite fast and homework is mandatory. I just got a Tamron 70-300. I saw the original receipt (6months old, from AP in SLS), compared what I just got as e-quote and I felt a bit sorry for the seller. Either he got overcharged or the street price dropped by 20% ..
    Means homework is needed for both sides. I would suggest to open comment for classifieds forum, so it good for both seller (can sell faster when someone tell them the market price) and buyer (can buy at a reasonable price).

Blog Entries

Means homework is needed for both sides. I would suggest to open comment for classifieds forum, so it good for both seller (can sell faster when someone tell them the market price) and buyer (can buy at a reasonable price).
    The reason why BnS threads are restricted is due to the fact the.some posters have nothing to better to do than to thrash talk other sellers. In the end, only serious buyers need to contact seller to.let them know prices.has changed.

Deregistered

The reason why BnS threads are restricted is due to the fact the.some posters have nothing to better to do than to thrash talk other sellers. In the end, only serious buyers need to contact seller to.let them know prices.has changed.
    This is understandable.
    However, some buyers always state like "low baller keep away", so serious buyer (e.g. me) even dont want to nego and inform them the market price.

Just my 2 cents.

Yes, that is actually what happen many years ago, there are many thread crashers eat too full got noting better to do, going around thrashing other people threads.
    If restore this, it will need FULL TIME moderators to look after the personal classified section, so who is going to pay for their salary?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

This is understandable.
    However, some buyers always state like "low baller keep away", so serious buyer (e.g. me) even dont want to nego and inform them the market price.

Just my 2 cents.
    Just let them died from natural causes lar if the offer price is not realistic, there is not left only one camera or one lens selling in this world.
    Last edited by catchlights; 19th December 2014 at 11:43 AM.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Yes, that is actually what happen many years ago, there are many thread crashers eat too full got noting better to do, going around thrashing other people threads.
    If restore this, it will need FULL TIME moderators to look after the personal classified section, so who is going to pay for their salary?
    I see.
    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Just let them died from natural causes lar if the offer price is not realistic, there is not left only one camera or one lens selling in this world.
    Yes, just leave it. I just feel sorry for buyers (like the guy I mentioned before).

Think can close topic here.

I see.

Yes, just leave it. I just feel sorry for buyers (like the guy I mentioned before).

Think can close topic here.
    Don't have to feel sorry about for anyone.

we all made mistakes before, the higher the "price" we paid, the better we will learnt.
    if we still don't learnt from past experience, is just we have not pay enough for the "tuition fee".