Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: any1 travelled to vietnam for phototalking b4?

  1. #1

    Default any1 travelled to vietnam for phototalking b4?

    Hi

    Jus like to koe if any1 does travelled there b4 for photo-taking (yup, everyone takes photos during travels actually), is it safe to lug camera systems around over there and yes, especially throught their customs? Travel guide books details how customs confiscate electronic items at their fancy, sounds.. scary.

    Another side question here. Singaporean travelling there are supposed to be exempted from applying for visas, for travels under 30 days. But official websites note there a tourist visa to be applied for. This is kind of confusing to me. So is visa needed or not prior travelling there? Or is it something like china where visa entry form given at passport control to fill in on the spot?

    Pls advise. Thks

  2. #2

    Default Re: any1 travelled to vietnam for phototalking b4?

    Quote Originally Posted by marvel_ctl
    Hi

    Jus like to koe if any1 does travelled there b4 for photo-taking (yup, everyone takes photos during travels actually), is it safe to lug camera systems around over there and yes, especially throught their customs? Travel guide books details how customs confiscate electronic items at their fancy, sounds.. scary.
    I think if you don't bring in things like GPS jammers, frequency hopping HF sets, encrypted satellite phones, laser targeters, electronic eavesdropping devices, etc., you should be just fine

    Quote Originally Posted by marvel_ctl
    Another side question here. Singaporean travelling there are supposed to be exempted from applying for visas, for travels under 30 days. But official websites note there a tourist visa to be applied for. This is kind of confusing to me. So is visa needed or not prior travelling there? Or is it something like china where visa entry form given at passport control to fill in on the spot?
    No visa is needed.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    377

    Default Re: any1 travelled to vietnam for phototalking b4?

    No need visa for less than 30 days stay.

    No problems with the customs also for bringing in my camera system. But then I travel light and don't carry much gear with me. One med format & one 35mm.

    Safe or not probably depends on where you are travelling or moving about. I guess this would be same for other countries. I had no problems when I was there.

    Very good place for street photography.

  4. #4

    Default Re: any1 travelled to vietnam for phototalking b4?

    sometimes overly cautious i'm. True, what there to fear if espionage definately not on my travelling agenda. Thanks frds for the assurance and fast replys to my enquires. I'l be travelling to Hanoi alone jus couple of days, 3 wks later actually. Hope to get good pics & be postin them if do.

  5. #5

    Default Re: any1 travelled to vietnam for phototalking b4?

    Quote Originally Posted by marvel_ctl
    sometimes overly cautious i'm. True, what there to fear if espionage definately not on my travelling agenda. Thanks frds for the assurance and fast replys to my enquires. I'l be travelling to Hanoi alone jus couple of days, 3 wks later actually. Hope to get good pics & be postin them if do.
    It should be quite hot and humid in Hanoi at this time.

    FWIW, Hanoi is generally safer than HCM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: any1 travelled to vietnam for phototalking b4?

    I jus came back from a 10 day trip to hanoi. Photo taking is generally okie. But a word of caution, do not shoot the men in uniform eg, policeman and soldiers. It was a word of advice by a frd who ran into some probs when he was over there. Din verify this myself though Other then tat, all is alrite.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: any1 travelled to vietnam for phototalking b4?

    And carry ur tripod wherever u go.

    Dun sling it. Place it on ur shoulder.
    Hooligans would think twice about approaching u.
    Between a knife and a 2kg tripod ready to swing, most ppl wun take chances.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Land of the woods........
    Posts
    1,360

    Default Re: any1 travelled to vietnam for phototalking b4?

    I went for a shoot in Vietnam (including Hanoi) earlier this yr. No problems shooting around.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    West of S'pore
    Posts
    999

    Default Re: any1 travelled to vietnam for phototalking b4?

    me went on family holiday for a few days..spent three rolls in HCMC..over a few days! street photography will suck you in..even in bustling HCMC, parents tell me its S'pore abt 20 years ago..heh. i took a late afternoon trip on the Saigon River..nice pictures definitely..if i did scan my negs i wouldev posted by now!!
    plus had some nice pics of Cu Chi too..heh heh.

    security-wise, travel simple n be urself. ah, as with any other photogr adv when going overseas: like we still need to attract more attention ( esp from hankypanky people ) when we already cannot speak the native language, bargain over counter n stuff...! just be urself n know where n what ur stuff are..
    oh if u shoot film, bring ur own.. i think its more ex there. abt S$1-2 more..

    regards
    Douglas

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •