Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Sigma Lens Second Hand Help

  1. #1

    Default Sigma Lens Second Hand Help

    Hi everyone,

    I am here again to ask for help.
    I would be getting a second hand Sigma Lens and would like to ask for help.

    Other than the Cheat Sheet I have found here. Are there other points to look out for when buying second hand lens?

    www-digitalcameraworld.com/2013/02/15/dslr-lenses-7-questions-photographers-must-ask-about-their-next-piece-of-glass/2/

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Sigma Lens Second Hand Help

    Quote Originally Posted by Ah Keong View Post
    Hi everyone,

    I am here again to ask for help.
    I would be getting a second hand Sigma Lens and would like to ask for help.

    Other than the Cheat Sheet I have found here. Are there other points to look out for when buying second hand lens?

    www-digitalcameraworld.com/2013/02/15/dslr-lenses-7-questions-photographers-must-ask-about-their-next-piece-of-glass/2/

    Thanks in advance

    Its all here.

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311048

    If still not confident, it would be good to bring a bro who know how to check lens along.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  3. #3

    Default Re: Sigma Lens Second Hand Help

    Cosmetic:
    - Well.. see it yourself.
    - Shake the lens (carefully please) to listen for any weird sound or loose parts inside
    - Rotate the zoom & focus ring. Make sure the distance mark (if any) moves accordingly.

    Optics:
    - Bring a small torch, your phone camera flash or any light source to help you check the lens optics.
    - Do test shots using long shutter speed & small aperture (say.. 30 seconds, f/16) & see the result on the camera LCD. It's easier to find optic imperfections this way.
    - Perhaps Google & find image sample of lens fungus so you can easily spot & recognize one.
    - Old lens might be dusty upon checking, but this is usually OK.
    - Check for glass separationm, haze etc - this is uncommon for modern lens but juuuust in case.

    Mechanical:
    - Test in AF & MF mode. Check if manual focus override works (only in Sigma HSM model - or usually those with ultrasonic ring focus motor)
    - Test the aperture blades - shoot in normal mode, burst mode, or perhaps bulb mode as well.
    - Test for the optical stabilizer if any. There's usually a small humming noise and you can see from the viewfinder (or LCD) that your hand shakes are dampened.

    That's all I can think of for now.

    Edit: Since you mentioned Sigma, do check for:
    - Lens decentering issue (Google for more info)
    - AF accuracy - on some cases you might need to micro-adjust your lens.

    I mentioned those based on personal experience. Sigma were quite lacking in their QC, at least before their Sigma Global Vision era.
    Last edited by SilentSeth; 16th December 2014 at 10:45 AM.

  4. #4
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: Sigma Lens Second Hand Help

    Which lens are you looking at?
    Feed Google with the model of the lens and add 'problem', see what pops up. Do read carefully whether this is a general issue or valid only for a certain batch. In case of the latter, check how to identify affected copies (usual serial number).
    Dust in lens: you can safely dismiss this part. Especially zoom lenses suck in dust sooner or later. I does not do any harm. But if any of the dost inside starts looking like a little spider web then be careful. That's how fungus starts. Google for 'lens fungus' and have a good look at the images.
    EOS

  5. #5

    Default Re: Sigma Lens Second Hand Help

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Its all here.

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311048

    If still not confident, it would be good to bring a bro who know how to check lens along.
    Thanks rhino123. Learnt something new.
    Shall read up more on lens.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Sigma Lens Second Hand Help

    Quote Originally Posted by SilentSeth View Post
    Cosmetic:
    - Well.. see it yourself.
    - Shake the lens (carefully please) to listen for any weird sound or loose parts inside
    - Rotate the zoom & focus ring. Make sure the distance mark (if any) moves accordingly.

    Optics:
    - Bring a small torch, your phone camera flash or any light source to help you check the lens optics.
    - Do test shots using long shutter speed & small aperture (say.. 30 seconds, f/16) & see the result on the camera LCD. It's easier to find optic imperfections this way.
    - Perhaps Google & find image sample of lens fungus so you can easily spot & recognize one.
    - Old lens might be dusty upon checking, but this is usually OK.
    - Check for glass separationm, haze etc - this is uncommon for modern lens but juuuust in case.

    Mechanical:
    - Test in AF & MF mode. Check if manual focus override works (only in Sigma HSM model - or usually those with ultrasonic ring focus motor)
    - Test the aperture blades - shoot in normal mode, burst mode, or perhaps bulb mode as well.
    - Test for the optical stabilizer if any. There's usually a small humming noise and you can see from the viewfinder (or LCD) that your hand shakes are dampened.

    That's all I can think of for now.

    Edit: Since you mentioned Sigma, do check for:
    - Lens decentering issue (Google for more info)
    - AF accuracy - on some cases you might need to micro-adjust your lens.

    I mentioned those based on personal experience. Sigma were quite lacking in their QC, at least before their Sigma Global Vision era.
    Thanks SilentSeth, shall read up more and do a checklist.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Sigma Lens Second Hand Help

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Which lens are you looking at?
    Feed Google with the model of the lens and add 'problem', see what pops up. Do read carefully whether this is a general issue or valid only for a certain batch. In case of the latter, check how to identify affected copies (usual serial number).
    Dust in lens: you can safely dismiss this part. Especially zoom lenses suck in dust sooner or later. I does not do any harm. But if any of the dost inside starts looking like a little spider web then be careful. That's how fungus starts. Google for 'lens fungus' and have a good look at the images.
    Thanks Octarine! I am looking at buying a Sigma 18-35mm lens from my friend. It looks quite new (with box and plastic bag) and comes with a UV fiilter attached.
    Shall read up for more info on Sigma lens on the affected serial numbers and check against the lens serial number and lens fungus.

  8. #8
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Sigma Lens Second Hand Help

    Quote Originally Posted by Ah Keong View Post
    Thanks Octarine! I am looking at buying a Sigma 18-35mm lens from my friend. It looks quite new (with box and plastic bag) and comes with a UV fiilter attached.
    Shall read up for more info on Sigma lens on the affected serial numbers and check against the lens serial number and lens fungus.
    Do check the price for this lens. Note that price for this lens is around 1k+ (S$1068 - Technogadget) for grey market. So don't get it too expensive for second hand. Not that I don't trust your friend, but alot of people might not know the current price of the lens and charge slightly more expensive.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  9. #9

    Default Re: Sigma Lens Second Hand Help

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Do check the price for this lens. Note that price for this lens is around 1k+ (S$1068 - Technogadget) for grey market. So don't get it too expensive for second hand. Not that I don't trust your friend, but alot of people might not know the current price of the lens and charge slightly more expensive.
    Thanks rhino123. I am getting at S$688.
    Hope I can nego down to below $500.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Sigma Lens Second Hand Help

    Thanks rhino123, SilentSeth and Octarine for the help and advice!
    I have just got the Sigma Lens. Shall be looking for a replacement cap as the lens cap spring is kinda loose.

    Thank you!

  11. #11
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: Sigma Lens Second Hand Help

    Quote Originally Posted by Ah Keong View Post
    I have just got the Sigma Lens. Shall be looking for a replacement cap as the lens cap spring is kinda loose.
    Yes, my Sigma lens had the same issue. Get a third party cap with center pinch.
    EOS

  12. #12

    Default Re: Sigma Lens Second Hand Help

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Yes, my Sigma lens had the same issue. Get a third party cap with center pinch.
    Thanks Octarine. May i ask how much would a third part cap cost roughly?

  13. #13
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: Sigma Lens Second Hand Help

    Quote Originally Posted by Ah Keong View Post
    Thanks Octarine. May i ask how much would a third part cap cost roughly?
    Should be around $5. You can check online (ebay) or the usual shops. I got mine from Orient Photo.
    EOS

  14. #14

    Default Re: Sigma Lens Second Hand Help

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Should be around $5. You can check online (ebay) or the usual shops. I got mine from Orient Photo.
    Thanks Octarine!

  15. #15

    Default Re: Sigma Lens Second Hand Help

    thanks for the help!

    I shall close this thread!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •