Thread: Lightroom preset for user defined picture styles

Default Lightroom preset for user defined picture styles

Hi everyone,

I have just moved over from Adobe Camera RAW to Lightroom 5.7 for the processing of my RAW images. I have been reading extensively and trying out the various new features that Lightroom offers.

One part that has intrigued me is the ability of Lightroom to set a preset to all the RAW files during the Import phase. And I have a question about that aspect.

I shoot using a Canon 6D, and while light room offers the basic picture styles (faithful, natural, stars, portrait etc) to be applied to the RAW images upon import, I'm specifically looking to create a preset for a particular USER DEFINED picture style that I use to shoot. (Sharpness 7, saturation +1, Contrast +2, colour tone 0)

We all know that what we see on the LCD is the in-camera processing of the RAW image that was shot using whatever picture file and this the image looks nice on the LCD. But when imported without any preset, the RAW file looks flat. So I would like to know what would be the lightroom equivalent settings so that the RAW file looks very similar to what is seen on the LCD.

Apparently cannons's proprietary software DPP, allows for this to be done. Can anyone share how this can be done using Lightroom?

Thank you very much!

Default Re: Lightroom preset for user defined picture styles

don't know how Lightroom can interpret Canon picture style.
    but what you can do is process the photo in Lightroom to your liking, than save the adjustment as user define preset, than apply this preset when you import your photos into Lightroom.

thread move to digital darkroom.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    don't know how Lightroom can interpret Canon picture style. but what you can do is process the photo in Lightroom to your liking, than save the adjustment as user define preset, than apply this preset when you import your photos into Lightroom. thread move to digital darkroom.
    Thanks for the advice Mr Catchlights. I shall do that then. I was hoping for a more accurate equation/translation of the user defined picture style in the hopes that someone else who might have encountered a similar challenge would be able to give. (Eg: a saturation of +2 in the 6D would give the same result as +12 of saturation in lightroom on a calibrated monitor) But I guess this will have to do for now.

After trial and error, just wanna share that what works for me (at the moment) are these values in lightroom that I've set as a preset.

Process 2012
    Camera Faithful
    Exposure and white balance unchanged and left open for each photo
    Contrast +20
    Highlights -25
    Shadows +10
    Whites +10
    Blacks -40
    Clarity +10
    Vibrance +25
    Saturation -5

Some sharpening added. (Still figuring out how much is good)

Lens calibration correction applied
    Choramatic aberration correction applied

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by NormanSelvaraju View Post
    I was hoping for a more accurate equation/translation of the user defined picture style in the hopes that someone else who might have encountered a similar challenge would be able to give. (Eg: a saturation of +2 in the 6D would give the same result as +12 of saturation in lightroom on a calibrated monitor) But I guess this will have to do for now.
    Not familiar with the Canon picture styles personally. Found this article that suggests that one approach is to stick with the default pictures styles (not apply any custom adjustments). I can see how this kinda makes sense if you really want to know for sure what you see on the LCD is what you will get in LR. I suppose then you can add your preferred adjustments via another preset.

Whichever Picture Style you pick, I would suggest to stick to it if you want to see consistent colors in your images. And do not worry about modifying custom adjustments within picture controls, since those might also indirectly affect your RAW images as well (for example, setting high values for Contrast, Saturation and Color Tone).

https://photographylife.com/how-to-g...s-in-lightroom

Hi Kandinsky. Thanks for the reply. This is one of the articles I came across too. The fact that adobe has gone through the trouble of getting these 6 picture styles as close to the jpg displayed on the LCD kinda confirms the fact (which I was hoping that it won't) that the translations of the user defined picture styles aren't as straightforward as I thought it would be. I guess I would have to be satisfied with this now. Shall consider switching from my user defined picture style to the stock ones that canon has provided. But I don't think that I will cos I am very happy with the jpg output on my LCD. Instead, I think I'll take the approach that catchlights suggested and get my lightroom settings to come as close to the LCD display and save that as a preset. Thanks!

I'm not sure whether you are talking about how to create a preset in lightroom. Anyway, you can create a custom preset in

lightroom. Here it goes: In "Develop module", after you have made adjustment to a RAW file, Let's say exposure+0.5, Highlight

-20, Saturation +15. so you want to save this setting to apply to other photos, Still in "Develop module"> At left pane you'll

see a preset with a small "+" sign, click on it a "New preset dialog box" will pop up> Key in a name for your new pret, check

or uncheck the settings that you want to keep for this preset > finally click create.

You'll see a new preset has created under the name that you given. Now you can apply it to any photos or applying it on imported

photos. Hope this help.

Quote Originally Posted by flame angel View Post
    I'm not sure whether you are talking about how to create a preset in lightroom. Anyway, you can create a custom preset in lightroom. Here it goes: In "Develop module", after you have made adjustment to a RAW file, Let's say exposure+0.5, Highlight -20, Saturation +15. so you want to save this setting to apply to other photos, Still in "Develop module"> At left pane you'll see a preset with a small "+" sign, click on it a "New preset dialog box" will pop up> Key in a name for your new pret, check or uncheck the settings that you want to keep for this preset > finally click create. You'll see a new preset has created under the name that you given. Now you can apply it to any photos or applying it on imported photos. Hope this help.
    Thanks for the hint light angel. I managed to figure out how to create presets. But the issue here is creating a preset that will make the raw file in lightroom look exactly(or as close to as possible) to the jpg images that are produced in the LCD screen of the camera after a certain user defined picture style is applied to it. Any idea how you can do that?

Your approach seems somewhat unusual to me, but good if it works for you

I personally find the camera LCD useful for image composition & rough review? Like histogram, highlight warnings, etc. Colour, a little bit, but I take it as just a rough reference. By virtue of their small size, I don't find it reliable for judging and making accurate/critical adjustments.

Given that it can't be calibrated or colour managed to match your computer monitor, I imagine there's no real 'standard' or objective way to do it. I think it can probably only be done by your own eyes? E.g., If you asked someone else to try to match it for you, either their own colour perception will be different, or their camera LCD (even if they own a 6D) may render colours differently. Even if we assume their LCDs (both camera LCD and monitor) render exactly the same as yours, things might look different to them depending on their LCD settings, ambient light that they are viewing it in, etc. Feels like way too many subjective variables to account for?

Yeah. I get what you mean.

The thing that I was hoping for was a preset for an exact replica that would turn the RAW image to look like the jpgs that come along with each raw file.

The reason for this is as follows.

I shoot in raw+jpg. And generally the jpgs (as viewed from the camera LCD or even on the monitor) are good to go. Unfortunately, there will always be a relatively large number that would require minor tweaking. For these files I would prefer to work on the RAW image. Hence, I figured that if I could get a preset to make it resemble the jpg. I have a good starting point to work on the RAW file and not worry about these RAW files looking too different from the other unedited jpgs. I was hoping to achieve a higher consistency amongst the images.

And so, as of low, I guess I'll settle for the two workarounds that are presently available.

1. Find the closest lightroom setting for the raw file that would match the jpgs. And apply that setting upon importing all the dngs. Edit the ones that need editing while I leave the others untouched and then export all as the finished jpgs.

2. Shoot in one of the 6 canon defined picture styles and use the camera calibration function of lightroom upon import.

Thanks again Kandinsky. Pls do advise if you think if there is a better way. Totally appreciate you input!

I would use the manufacturer supplied software to process the RAW but instead of outputting to JPEG, process it as a loseless 16-bit TIFF for import into LR
    IXY 810 IS | EOS-M | D3200 | D7100 |Df | X100T

Quote Originally Posted by Nehalem View Post
    I would use the manufacturer supplied software to process the RAW but instead of outputting to JPEG, process it as a loseless 16-bit TIFF for import into LR
    Whoa. Smart idea! Shall give it a shot.

It's gonna be a pain with the workflow. But I guess it's a valid workaround.!

Thanks for the sharing!!

Quote Originally Posted by NormanSelvaraju View Post
    Whoa. Smart idea! Shall give it a shot.

It's gonna be a pain with the workflow. But I guess it's a valid workaround.!

Thanks for the sharing!!
    previously I use Capture NX2 to process my Nikon raw files as I like the results compare to lightroom, but it is so slow and really a pain to use.

I suggest you compare the outputs of a same image from two software, to see whether the gain of quality justify the time and effort spent.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Thanks catchlight. I decided to not use the canon DPP as well. Shall just work purely with lightroom and photoshop. Here is another issue I'm facing that I hope I can get some advice on. Don't know if I should start a new thread.

Issue: mismatch is colours in lightroom and photoshop

Elaboration: after making some enhancements in lightroom, some images require a touch up in photoshop. To do that I use the "edit in photoshop cs6" option. A new window appears saying that I need to upgrade the adobe camera raw to 8.6 as my camera raw is only the 7.0.0 version. I click on render using lightroom settings. After making the necessary edits (healing brush, cloning etc without adjusting any colours) in photoshop, I save as a .jpg.

The eventual result is quite alarmingly different in terms of colours/saturation.

Concerns:
    1) is the workflow wrong? Should I just click on save in photoshop and then export to jpg in lightroom?
    2) I chose to work with prophoto RGB colour space for both lightroom and photoshop. Is this causing the trouble and I should just stick to adobe RGB?
    Edit : after some reading up I realize I should use prophoto RGB during my workflow(between lightroom and photoshop) and when I am finally ready to publish on the web, I should use sRGB.

3) is the version of camera raw that I am using causing the problem? Please advise. Thanks.
    Last edited by NormanSelvaraju; 17th December 2014 at 01:37 PM.