Thread: What 'f' Stop For Group Photos

Default What 'f' Stop For Group Photos

To take indoor or out door group photo, what 'f' stop to use?
    Thinking if f2.8, will it affect the group if got 2nd roll or not in
    straight line due to DOF?
    Or use smaller stop like f4.0?
    Thanks.

Deregistered

Default Re: What 'f' Stop For Group Photos

Depending on the glass you use, the focal length, your focusing distance and the size of the group

If say 17-35, I would do it at f/4-5.6 with about 1m apart. If 28-70, say f/8. One good way is to turn the focusing ring to infinity and shoot, confirm get it sharp If at infinity, your image is blur... stand further back.

For a magic setting (which I discourage), f/8 would be good, but that's like a group of 10-15 people...

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Depending on the glass you use, the focal length, your focusing distance and the size of the group

If say 17-35, I would do it at f/4-5.6 with about 1m apart. If 28-70, say f/8. One good way is to turn the focusing ring to infinity and shoot, confirm get it sharp If at infinity, your image is blur... stand further back.

For a magic setting (which I discourage), f/8 would be good, but that's like a group of 10-15 people...
    Said if using 28-70mm lens and group of 4 to 10 persons, f/8 at 28mm & if using
    the kit lens 18-70mm at f4-5.6 at 18mm?

Quote Originally Posted by donchua
    To take indoor or out door group photo, what 'f' stop to use?
    Thinking if f2.8, will it affect the group if got 2nd roll or not in
    straight line due to DOF?
    Or use smaller stop like f4.0?
    Thanks.
    Use DOF preview for any setting. You can use the lens marking to determine depth too. I dun think there is any guideline.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by donchua
    Said if using 28-70mm lens and group of 4 to 10 persons, f/8 at 28mm & if using
    the kit lens 18-70mm at f4-5.6 at 18mm?
    there's no one particular setting for grp pics. all depends on the size of the grp.

wat i normally do is to shoot at f8 (f11 if i can get away with it outdoors sans flash), then manually focus to get everything sharp. mebbe its me lah. when i leave it to the cam's AF, i kinda notice the people at the extremes a little OOF.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed.” ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    there's no one particular setting for grp pics. all depends on the size of the grp.

wat i normally do is to shoot at f8 (f11 if i can get away with it outdoors sans flash), then manually focus to get everything sharp. mebbe its me lah. when i leave it to the cam's AF, i kinda notice the people at the extremes a little OOF.
    I have to concur with nightwolf75, I've actually done this believe or not, I don't think it is specific to any lens, to get sharp photos from center to edge F8 shooting around 10-15 feet will get you that.

So if you need to adjust for low lighting have to use flash lah, but try to keep it at F8 for that distance if you want clear edge to edge, hehehe newbie giving his 2 cents.

../azul123

Quote Originally Posted by litefoot
    Use DOF preview for any setting. You can use the lens marking to determine depth too. I dun think there is any guideline.
    Sorry bro, D50 no DOF preview..

Noted all the replies.
    Thanks to al.

use f5.6 and smaller

wat i read from book is to use f8 and smaller stops
    Panasonic G3 | Minolta X700 | Minolta X370 | Pentax Asahi Spotmatic | Pratika MTL 3 | Panasonic Lx3

you can get a book about group photos (yes there is such a book) to read up. If you're afraid of ppl falling outside your DOF, you can arrange them in a slight concave (curve) so each will be equi-distance from your camera.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

f5.6 f8 f11...depends on how many rolls u are talking about....and the perspective u are using...and the distance u are away from the subjects......

if u using a wide and standing far away....5.6 should be alright...buten if u are using a wide and u are v close to the subjects .... then 5.6 may not provide enough DOF....

another thing to note is the usage of flash...normally there is problem in illuminating the third roll and beyond in big spaces..... if u underexpose tt.....shoot at wat f stop also pointless...

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    you can get a book about group photos (yes there is such a book) to read up. If you're afraid of ppl falling outside your DOF, you can arrange them in a slight concave (curve) so each will be equi-distance from your camera.
    wouldn't that make it worse? lens focus is planar; a concave arrangement would theoretically displace the ends from the plane of focus (assuming focus on the middle of the curve).
    eyes | head | feet | flickr | APAD: straight from camera

Quote Originally Posted by espn

ESPN mind explainng abt this infinity how to do this.... u set it to AF/M before adjusting?

Google for online Depth of Field Calculators, there is even one for Palm, play with them a little bit and you get an idea of how much CoC u get from using each f-stop, relative to camera to subject distances.....