Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which brands of Desktop computer is better?

Default Re: Which brands of Desktop computer is better?

get a DIY if u have PC know how knowledge, else it would be better to get from some shop or dell/hp as you mention.

and if u get a diy from sim lim, better to get some one who know these hardware stuff to go with you. sim lim is not really a place for zero know how ppl in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonstone
    Hi all, I am planning to replace my aging Desktop computer and was stuck between HP and DELL. Which one is better in terms of performance and value. A 17" LCD panel better or CRT type? My usage are mainly for Photoshop, emails and office documents. Budget around S$2,000. Thanks in advance.
    If you don't like to meddle with PC hardware, HP Helpdesk is better than Dell when it's comes to 'helping' you find the fault. So get a 3 year warranty to cover parts and labour and you stay hassle free to troubleshoot yourself.

If you do... go DIY.

Thanks again for such a great help here. I am impressed.

Wink Re: Which brands of Desktop computer is better?

WAIT!

Hope you manage to see this reply before its too late. If you are looking for a desktop, then you should look for a computer freak. Sad to say, here's one in front of the screen.

Well, not much of a "cleverer" advice I can give to you. Just the usual, so bear with me.

The first thing that came into my head is:

Execute command: Go to Wheelock Place.exe
    Execute command: Go to Apple Showroom.exe
    Execute command: Go to Cashier.exe
    Execute command: Give Plastic Card.exe
    Execute command: Take G5 Home.exe

hehe, quite a betrayer here. But looking at the specs, design, stability and "idiot- proof" system, its definitely worth its every cent.

If you can spare the time, please allow Steve Jobs to brain-wash you. http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/wwdc05/

"Wah G5 Card going to be replaced by Intel Processors somemore!"
    "Wah so many others using Apple!"
    "Wah so many apps can be used on Apple too!"

Disadvantage?
    That is if you can afford to fork out 3,000+ for a computer. *glass breaking.

Well, there's always a Bill Gates behind.

Windows is running up the steep-est slopes ever with Windows Vista (*longhorn) too!
    Don't wait. If you need a computer thats stable, forget the rumours and get an XP. It seems to be at its most stable now.

And, HP is the choice. HP has a better design (*definitely) than Dell, Dell is catching up on everything but the HP company has one of the best computers. They may seem to be similar in comparison to each other on the outside (*and even on specs) but I can tell you that a HP computer packs more surprises than Dell, one of which, when I turn on my new laptop and check the hardware that is in my computer half a year ago from now, and found that there are "branded" hardware that even a Fujitsu one does'nt have. (Like Fujitsu HDD, or harman/ kordon speakers.)

Its service is definitely excellent. They're there whenever I need help with my computer, like on the web and even on your desktop they're always trying their best to provide you with the nessesary advices and drivers that your computer may need. Although they are not the best at warranty (*Acer can give 3 1/2 hours support.) HP can give you what you really need.

I was once stuck in the middle between HP and Dell too. So, I think this might be helpful to you.

I confess that I am a HP laptop user, so I have a tenancy of "supporting" them, but I will not advertise for them unless they give me satisfaction. I can say I have never regretted my choice.

Btw, HP and Compaq are merged, so look out for compaq too for more choices.

So, choose HP/ Compaq.

wow. Thats a whole lot I have said. hehe. too agitated.

From my experience.... problems you see in Dell usually does not manifest itself in HP/Compaq, Problems you see in HP/compaq usually does not appear in Dell. Another point is HP employees usually encourages pple to buy Dell and Dell employees usually encourages pple to buy HP... why cos when you work in that company you kow a little too much about the product... Bottom Line, Buy Dell.....

Quote Originally Posted by benjaminteo
    [SIZE="3
    I confess that I am a HP laptop user, so I have a tenancy of "supporting" them, but I will not advertise for them unless they give me satisfaction. I can say I have never regretted my choice.

Btw, HP and Compaq are merged, so look out for compaq too for more choices.

So, choose HP/ Compaq.
    For laptop, I won't choose HP/Dell. Toshiba/Fujishu/IBM will be better and DO get longer warranty for it.

my company used to buy compaq (now hp), but they recently change to ibm.

hp support sux! (all from india) good if you understand their indian-english.

ibm even worst. it takes one full month (sometime more) for their pc to come to us, from placing order to seeing the pc.

no experance with dell yet, but heard that their spare parts is super expensive.
    Nikon D5000, D70; Nikon 18-55, 18-70, 70-300; Sigma 18-250, 50-500.

jus to share something wit u...

like wat others has say, DIY give u more things with less money and more freedom to expand rather than with DELL, etc..

go to upper lever, tell them wat u wan and add $20 as a installation fee.. and they will do everything for u in 2 hr... if u buy Original OS they will install for u... with $2k, i think a lot of things can be done..

for me, i did mine 1 month ago with this shop..
    P4 3.0
    1 gb RAM
    2 x 80 SATA
    Pioneer DVD writer
    gigabyte motherboard
    256mb graphic
    plus floppy, Logi keyboard, mouse etc..
    all these = 1.5k without LCD cos i have liao

but BEWARE, althru it sound nice.. DO see carefully the items they give u... cos i ask for 2 SATA but they give 1 SATA and 1 IDE without telling me.. after making lot of nice, they change it..

Good luck..
    Stress Man @ work... :bigeyes:

Quote Originally Posted by coldman
    ibm even worst. it takes one full month (sometime more) for their pc to come to us, from placing order to seeing the pc.
    I concur with IBM taking long to arrive, but when received... you know the notebook works great without problems on parts or the service after delivery.

I ordered 2 sets and my colleague's set had a faster DVD drive response, meaning when click open the response was much faster than mine, called them and they replaced it. Not that it is not working just that it was a wee bit slower only. If that is not good service I don't know what is.

Using IBM T42 1Gb RAM for 8months already, only thing I don't like about it is the colour, black easily dirty, should have different colours like what some brands are offering, more personalised taste.

But for my personal notebook I would get Fujitsu, also good machine.

P.S. Above pertains to notebooks user experience, desktop I don't know what brand is good, probably go with the shoe box design type MSI or something, not really sure if they are good hardware wise.

../azul123
    Last edited by azul123; 23rd August 2005 at 08:28 AM.

actually used a number of laptops before.... toshiba, whitebox, acer, ibm...

found that obm laptops still most reliable...
    acer gives great value for money..... support from acer also good.....

have friends who bought acer desktops before... also super value for money....
    if you looking at integrated systems, might wanna give acer a look....
    Hope to learn from everyone here....

I can agree that there's a whole lot of competition going on between the brands. But, still, my personal preference will be HP/ compaq.

1. HP/ Compaq looks at the most minute details in the computer they create, the best designs I have seen on the market. (Comparing ard this price range PCs)

2. They don't use "kucing kurup" brands for the inside. The best brands of HDD, DVD-RW drives, speakers etc. (Unlike Dell)

3. Sexy Indian voices in service centres. hahahaha... thats true. Recently, they got a whole lot of Indian Nationals to work as tech support.

Its really personal preference after all. Ibm has been using the same old design over and over again, reliability is a trademark for Ibm, but, if you're someone that not only wants reliability, but also something that expresses your personal ownership in the product, choose HP. So, choose a computer that you really feel that is suitable for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12