Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 133

Thread: are you tired of IT line ?

  1. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by afiend
    Very interesting thread I must say...

    What are the prospects of a computer engineering graduate nowadays?
    I'd say, not good. Engineers are very cheap in places like China. And many companies are now hiring from there. A MCSE/MCDBA/MCSD certified engineer in China earns approximately 5k RMB there. The same person in SG probably earn S$4k and up.

    Regards
    CK

  2. #62

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang


    I'd say, not good. Engineers are very cheap in places like China. And many companies are now hiring from there. A MCSE/MCDBA/MCSD certified engineer in China earns approximately 5k RMB there. The same person in SG probably earn S$4k and up.

    Regards
    CK

    where got so much?? your company?? ask them to hire me leh.

  3. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by ninelives



    where got so much?? your company?? ask them to hire me leh.
    We have hiring freeze. Anyway, $4K is my estimate. Maybe overly optimistic, but you get the picture. (still no where like RMB 5k - no one will work as an engineer in SG for that amount)

    Regards
    CK

  4. #64

    Default

    Originally posted by afiend
    Very interesting thread I must say...

    What are the prospects of a computer engineering graduate nowadays?
    After the dot com, not very good i'm afraid.
    there's a trend towards India & China for technical people. 3 yrs experienced, very qualified technical person from these countries are only asking $2.2k ~ $2.5k.
    And they usually come with strings of certs like MCSE, DBA, CCNP etc...name them, the recruitment agency can find them for you.

  5. #65

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang


    We have hiring freeze. Anyway, $4K is my estimate. Maybe overly optimistic, but you get the picture. (still no where like RMB 5k - no one will work as an engineer in SG for that amount)

    Regards
    CK


    let us know when it is reopen again

  6. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    ClubSNAP East
    Posts
    1,702

    Default Re: are you tired of IT line ?

    Originally posted by ninelives
    for those who are in IT, are you tired and sian of it? For me, yes. As usual, we have to keep updating ourselves. Fighting for paper. My next course will be CCNA. Imagine when I am 45, I still fighting for paper/certification.
    Never get tired of it. Boredom do sink in sometime especially when you've been doing the same thing (project) over and over (ie, maintenance etc).

    When such time comes, for me, that means it's time to move on.

    :Later,

  7. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Alpha Centuari
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Originally posted by wildhoney
    yo junior boy shuy

    was from computing. am now in banking.

    so much for 'prospects'.
    u can switch careers like that?? hrm.... is it cos computing's a versatile degree??

    still leaves a bad taste in my mouth tho

  8. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by Shadus


    After the dot com, not very good i'm afraid.
    there's a trend towards India & China for technical people. 3 yrs experienced, very qualified technical person from these countries are only asking $2.2k ~ $2.5k.
    And they usually come with strings of certs like MCSE, DBA, CCNP etc...name them, the recruitment agency can find them for you.
    That's still a bit high, not as low as the ones I came across. Maybe they spoil market.

    Regards
    CK

  9. #69

    Default

    Originally posted by Shadus


    After the dot com, not very good i'm afraid.
    there's a trend towards India & China for technical people. 3 yrs experienced, very qualified technical person from these countries are only asking $2.2k ~ $2.5k.
    And they usually come with strings of certs like MCSE, DBA, CCNP etc...name them, the recruitment agency can find them for you.

    1.5k can get liao lo. they very "cheap". they willing to work 24/7 . you ??? lol.

  10. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by ninelives



    1.5k can get liao lo. they very "cheap". they willing to work 24/7 . you ??? lol.
    They spoil market. What's needed is to tell them how much they COULD be getting and SHOULD be getting.

    Regards
    CK

  11. #71
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Alpha Centuari
    Posts
    240

    Default

    wat's the local IT industry coming to?? seems like it's turning into construction work... dominated by 'foreign talent'. ugh y did i ever want to be part of this?

  12. #72

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang


    They spoil market. What's needed is to tell them how much they COULD be getting and SHOULD be getting.

    Regards
    CK

    well, at least u are not affected. I am still looking for a job. Engineer is so hard to look for a decent job this day.

  13. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by ninelives



    well, at least u are not affected. I am still looking for a job. Engineer is so hard to look for a decent job this day.
    YET. Who knows what's going to happen in the near future? Engineers are now easily replaceable, and cheap to get in places like China.

    Regards
    CK

  14. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default

    Hehehehe, cheap China & Indian IT techy men do have one little flaw.... don expect much initiative out of them....
    (imho quite rare to get one who can come up with ideas)

    OK, some observations (my opinion lar, so subjective to a certain extent)

    China/Indian Programmers
    Pros:
    1) cheap
    2) 24x7 (almost)
    3) can code
    4) do wat u tell them

    Cons:
    1) easily misunderstand requirements
    2) initiative rare

    But i admit, its flooded with these people willing to work real cheap and its affecting our local fresh grads job supply.

    Local Fresh IT Grads
    Pros:
    1) enthusiastic (at least initially ~ some genuine IT types can stay enthusiastic pretty long)
    2) initiative (most anyway)
    3) good ideas and think out of the box sometimes
    4) so so coding skills
    5) may not do wat u tell them

    Cons:
    1) may not do wat u tell them
    2) not 24x7 (reluctant to put this here coz I aso not 24x7)
    3) not cheap

    So shuy, juz be best at wat u do. If u can shine in ur field it does not matter which field u go to. I mean if u go to law and u hate it, then don't. Whereever u go jus be sure u have a passion for it, that is wat makes u lasts when the times are bad n the competition is tough.

    Hahaha! At least we all have a passion for photography!

  15. #75
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    @}-`--.--
    Posts
    129

    Default

    !
    yall talking about upgrading...

    and i'm not even there yet!
    to continue computing or venture into business?



  16. #76
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    North
    Posts
    20

    Default

    me too in IT. got quite a bit of foreign talent in my company. Some are fun and have initiative but most only got eyes for the screen - whole day.

    The certification just makes my life miserable.

  17. #77
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by Skeez
    me too in IT. got quite a bit of foreign talent in my company. Some are fun and have initiative but most only got eyes for the screen - whole day.

    The certification just makes my life miserable.
    Those without initiative, treat them as production workers. Give them mundane stuff (like coding data entry forms, HTML pages, backup etc). Give them specs, make sure they understand, give them a deadline then wait. Check on status regularly.

    Those with a bit of initiative can let them do more interesting stuff.

    Those with too much initiative, try to get rid of them. It's detrimental to your career.

    Regards
    CK

  18. #78
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    North
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang


    Those without initiative, treat them as production workers. Give them mundane stuff (like coding data entry forms, HTML pages, backup etc). Give them specs, make sure they understand, give them a deadline then wait. Check on status regularly.

    Those with a bit of initiative can let them do more interesting stuff.

    Those with too much initiative, try to get rid of them. It's detrimental to your career.

    Regards
    CK
    CK, which company you are in? Just hope that one day i don't end up in your work place.

  19. #79

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang


    Those with too much initiative, try to get rid of them. It's detrimental to your career.

    Regards
    CK
    welcome to the dark force.

  20. #80

    Default

    one thing that bugs me is why singapore do not appreciate technical talent. is becoming a manager the only way up in the corporate ladder?

    i find that the certifications mean nothing when the person knows nothing besides the answers to the frequently asked questions. Given an unknown situation, the person will not be able to solve anything. That is sad. It devalues the certification and now it's just become a necessity rather than an added advantage.

    hr in singapore has to treat people better or people will look for jobs elsewhere like in the states.

    just my 2 cents.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •