Thread: The Flower Peddler

Arrow The Flower Peddler

Newbie shot taken sometime back. Will a tighter crop work in this case?

Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "...I've never considered myself a fast guitar player..."

Default Re: The Flower Peddler

Quote Originally Posted by icarus
    Will a tighter crop work in this case?
    I do find the composition more pleasing if one cuts a bit away from the top. I don't mind the background as such, but the distribution of foreground/background (bottom half vs. top half of the picture) is a bit too uneven for my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf
    I do find the composition more pleasing if one cuts a bit away from the top. I don't mind the background as such, but the distribution of foreground/background (bottom half vs. top half of the picture) is a bit too uneven for my taste.
    yah ... i think cropping away the top works better, remove the top 1/5 will do just nice

I find the bucket of flowers in front and too close to her face is quite distracting as the purpose and focal of the pic is the old lady, maybe cropping tighter might have a bigger impact. again, it's a newbie comment to another newbie(not)
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

kinda agree with eikin on cropping 1/5 ... leaving the crowd behind actually works for me, thus creating a 'crowd vs alone' kinda feeling. My newbie 0.02cent to a newbie(not)

technically, its is a good picture. Maybe the lotus is a bit washed out but thats is ok with me. The DOF is great. Brings out the old lady's face as she waits for her next customer.

the thing that is bothering me is the umbrella pole sticking out of the old lady back. Perhaps a few step left or right might do the trick. (I am not too sure abt the location where u r in)

nice shot overall!

Newbie comments. Different from the others (maybe that's y I am a newbie), I kind of like the colors at the top too (umbrellas), and at least with the top 1/5th, I can know that the stick behind the woman is for an umbrella. If crop away the top 1/5, I will be wondering why there is a stick behind the woman.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by icarus
    Newbie shot taken sometime back. Will a tighter crop work in this case?
    my newbie (in relation to your newbie status) pov is no a tighter crop will not work, in fact i think that it would be easlier to reshoot this pict, the composition does not work for me, the foreground does somewhat add to the story but it distracts and spoil a nice picture. if only it wasn't there....

Composition wise, i agree with ortega that there's no need to crop. In fact, more should be included with the flowers not cropped away. Ideally, it shd be reshoot with the old lady selling the flower and facing the camera instead of back facing....