Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 36789 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 171

Thread: Please Help Me!

  1. #141

    Default Re: Please Help Me!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ah Keong View Post
    Thanks Nehalem. Think my primary aim is to shoot street (with people) and secondary shoot food and shoot travel.
    My Xmas gift budget think is not enough for Olympus E-M1, Fuji XT-1 or Sony a7. At most EOS 70D or EOS 7D.

    I was told to get multiple cards with smaller size (say 4 x 8GB or 2 x 16GB) rather than one big size card.
    I really think that for your purposes, a mirrorless camera would be a lot better. It makes people take you less seriously, which is good for street photography especially if you're not good with people (even if you are, it still helps). It's also ideal for travel since mirrorless is a lot lighter and smaller. Canon mirrorless doesn't seem like it's going anywhere though, so if you really must have a Canon, I guess the 70D it is then.
    Last edited by brapodam; 9th December 2014 at 06:03 PM.

  2. #142

    Default

    He seems to be inclined towards DSLR.

    I guess later he will go one big round and buy a mirrorless as second camera.
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

  3. #143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post

    I really think that for your purposes, a mirrorless camera would be a lot better. It makes people take you less seriously, which is good for street photography especially if you're not good with people (even if you are, it still helps). It's also ideal for travel since mirrorless is a lot lighter and smaller. Canon mirrorless doesn't seem like it's going anywhere though, so if you really must have a Canon, I guess the 70D it is then.
    Agree... Feel mirrorless would suit him more.
    Why pixel-peep? Go out and shoot more!
    Kon's Flickr

  4. #144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sin77 View Post
    He seems to be inclined towards DSLR.

    I guess later he will go one big round and buy a mirrorless as second camera.
    Most people who are new into photography still have the mindset that DSLR is the best...
    Why pixel-peep? Go out and shoot more!
    Kon's Flickr

  5. #145
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Please Help Me!

    Quote Originally Posted by sin77 View Post
    He seems to be inclined towards DSLR.

    I guess later he will go one big round and buy a mirrorless as second camera.
    It's a "vicious" cycle... At the end of the day, we can only recommend based on what we experienced *which contains loads of time grumbling about the 9+kg load of equipment killing the mood to shoot anything*
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  6. #146
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    265

    Default Re: Please Help Me!

    why is it that when you take on a photography job most companies would want you to use a dslr instead of a mirrorless. just curious

  7. #147
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    77

    Default Re: Please Help Me!

    Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    I really think that for your purposes, a mirrorless camera would be a lot better. It makes people take you less seriously, which is good for street photography especially if you're not good with people (even if you are, it still helps). It's also ideal for travel since mirrorless is a lot lighter and smaller. Canon mirrorless doesn't seem like it's going anywhere though, so if you really must have a Canon, I guess the 70D it is then.
    Quote Originally Posted by sin77 View Post
    He seems to be inclined towards DSLR.

    I guess later he will go one big round and buy a mirrorless as second camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by KonTrol View Post
    Agree... Feel mirrorless would suit him more.
    after buying the DSLR + 1 lens (and some accessories) think not much spare cash left for a second camera...even if a brand new EM10 + kit lens + 25mm + 45mm would have cost around $1400.

    Quote Originally Posted by KonTrol View Post
    Most people who are new into photography still have the mindset that DSLR is the best...
    think its because newbies have not much knowledge about present camera technology and layman perceptions, as I mentioned here or somewhere before that, to them, DSLR is a 'proper' camera and the rest of smaller cameras are known as compact.

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    It's a "vicious" cycle... At the end of the day, we can only recommend based on what we experienced *which contains loads of time grumbling about the 9+kg load of equipment killing the mood to shoot anything*
    yup, been there done that and never want to do it again.

  8. #148
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    77

    Default Re: Please Help Me!

    Quote Originally Posted by xjosephtbr View Post
    why is it that when you take on a photography job most companies would want you to use a dslr instead of a mirrorless. just curious
    think the perception is changing with many pros turning to mirrorless. i guess its more important, to show your portfolio than your equipment. no point showing the most impressive DSLR system but the portfolio looks at most ordinary.

    have read many acticles on DSLR vs mirrorless, and mirrorless surpass DSLR in many areas, though not enough to completely replace them. it depends largely on the usage. but, mirrorless are catching up fast and furious, and i predict within the next 5 years, they will take over enthusiast market and becoming a mainstay in pros' bags.

  9. #149

    Default

    Actually DSLR vs mirrorless got differences, and below are benefits of DSLR.

    1. Sensor dynamic range.
    2. Dedicated buttons.
    3. Phase detection.
    4. Better developed flash system, variety of lenses and accessories.

    These are the reasons I still use mainly my DSLR for shooting fast pace events.

    But then mirrorless nowadays are catching up. Even I am aiming E-M1.
    Last edited by sin77; 10th December 2014 at 06:42 AM.
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

  10. #150

    Default Re: Please Help Me!

    Quote Originally Posted by sin77 View Post
    Actually DSLR vs mirrorless got differences, and below are benefits of DSLR.

    1. Sensor dynamic range.
    2. Dedicated buttons.
    3. Phase detection.
    4. Better developed flash system, variety of lenses and accessories.

    These are the reasons I still use mainly my DSLR for shooting fast pace events.

    But then mirrorless nowadays are catching up. Even I am aiming E-M1.
    Actually current mirrorless cameras from Olympus and Fuji have higher dynamic range than current Canon DSLRs at base ISO. Canon DSLRs only catch up at high ISOs (1600 onwards). I don't know about 7D2, but it's way out of the price range anyway.

    Many mirrorless cameras (the higher end ones like E-M1 and Fuji X-T1) also have dedicated buttons which are also a lot more customizable (most DSLR buttons cannot be customized).

    PDAF is in E-M1, and I'm sure there are other mirrorless cameras that have it as well. But according to reviews, the PDAF in mirrorless doesn't work as well as in DSLRs (which is probably true).

    The thing about flash system is true. As for lenses, I think m4/3 is quite mature already, and has all the important lenses for pros (14-28, 24-70, 70-200 equivalent).

  11. #151
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Please Help Me!

    Quote Originally Posted by sin77 View Post
    Actually DSLR vs mirrorless got differences, and below are benefits of DSLR.

    1. Sensor dynamic range.
    2. Dedicated buttons.
    3. Phase detection.
    4. Better developed flash system, variety of lenses and accessories.

    These are the reasons I still use mainly my DSLR for shooting fast pace events.

    But then mirrorless nowadays are catching up. Even I am aiming E-M1.
    Not true.

    1) Sensor dynamic range depends on the sensor and many mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras are using the same sensor as their DSLR counterpart.

    2) Dedicated buttons, mirrorless camera had as much dedicated buttons as DSLR, unless you are looking at smaller system like GM1, GF series, EPM2, etc. Look to GH4/ GH3, EM1, EM5, Sony's various mirrorless camera such as A6000, Fujifilm various cameras, NX1, NX30, etc, all these have as much dedicated buttons and dials as the DSLR.

    3) Phase detection is getting more and more redundant, the Sony, Olympus and Panasonic all feature focusing as quick or in some cases, quicker than traditional phase detection AF speed. And they are equally accurate.

    4) As for flash system... again not too accurate. Some of the mirrorless camera could use their extensive DSLR flash system too... like Olympus and Panasonic mirrorless system can use older Olympus DSLR flashes. As for the lenses, Olympus and Panasonic had a wide range of lenses that are almost as extensive as Canon and Nikon. Sony had this capability too, plus with adapter, it could use Sony DSLR lenses with almost no lose in AF speed and accuracy.

    All in all, the technical difference between mirrorless system and DSLR are getting lesser and lesser, it all boils down to the handling of the camera as perceived by individuals and in some cases, digital viewfinder vs optical viewfinders... which was argued till death between the two camps of people.

    My take (as I used both Canon DSLR and Olympus mirrorless camera + using of Nikon DSLR and some Sony camera system), the digital viewfinder, no matter how quick it refreshes after each shot, still have a little bit of lag... not noticable by many people, but I do feel it... whether that is important of not, is up to oneself, for me, it is a non-issue, just a little bit difference.

    As to which camera I like best, I owned the OM-D EM5 with battery grip that gave you a deeper grip, I find it good enough for holding for long period of time, but somehow I still like the beefier grip I get with my Canon 7D and my bro's Nikon D90 and D800E. I have handle the Sony A6000 before, the grip is also okay, but not as comfortable (in my opinion) as full fledge DSLR... in another word, I like the older A77 type of camera grip.

    As to their image quality, all of them are excellent, I can't tell much differences... sure the Canon is lagging behind in term of dynamic range in base ISO for their APS-C sensor, but for my uses (and I can vote for many other people's uses) this differences are really not that significant... or Canon would already have close shop by now.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  12. #152

    Default Re: Please Help Me!

    Guys guys.. let's try to refrain from extra debates / info that don't really help TS

  13. #153
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Please Help Me!

    There are differences between mirrorless (m43, FF) and traditional DSLRs (APS-C, FF), but for the average consumers that just want to shoot abit of anything and everything, I really really doubt much of the differences matters.

    I think let's not get too into the debate of mirrorless vs dslrs.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  14. #154
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    84

    Default Re: Please Help Me!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ah Keong View Post
    Thanks Nehalem. Think my primary aim is to shoot street (with people) and secondary shoot food and shoot travel.
    My Xmas gift budget think is not enough for Olympus E-M1, Fuji XT-1 or Sony a7. At most EOS 70D or EOS 7D.

    I was told to get multiple cards with smaller size (say 4 x 8GB or 2 x 16GB) rather than one big size card.
    E-M1 with the PRO 12-40/2.8 sometimes is inside your budget
    Just need to slow down and look closer.
    IXY 810 IS | EOS-M | D3200 | D7100 |Df | X100T

  15. #155
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Please Help Me!

    the discussion topics are all over the place in this thread and the thread title is too general.

    it won't help much to members in providing useful info unless they have to read from first post, and follow closely.

    I suggest TS you take a step back, close this thread.
    think carefully what you really want and start a new thread with proper thread title for further discussion.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  16. #156

    Default Re: Please Help Me!

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Can still consider models like E-M5 or E-M10. Both are still excellent choices.

    Personally, I have a mixture of 16 and 32gb cards (still sceptical about 64gb cards). 8gb is abit too small for me.
    Thanks SkyStrike! I am considering between E-M10 and EOS 70D.
    I shall look for 16Gb cards then.

  17. #157

    Default Re: Please Help Me!

    Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    I really think that for your purposes, a mirrorless camera would be a lot better. It makes people take you less seriously, which is good for street photography especially if you're not good with people (even if you are, it still helps). It's also ideal for travel since mirrorless is a lot lighter and smaller. Canon mirrorless doesn't seem like it's going anywhere though, so if you really must have a Canon, I guess the 70D it is then.
    Thanks brapodam! I was doing a weight comparison and the Canon is heavier than the Olympus. If I add things like tripod, think need extra baggage cost.

  18. #158

    Default Re: Please Help Me!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nehalem View Post
    E-M1 with the PRO 12-40/2.8 sometimes is inside your budget
    Just need to slow down and look closer.
    Thanks Nehalem.
    But because my xmas gift budget is limited as I need to purchase a tripod also thats why I drop the E-M1 PRO kit.

  19. #159

    Default Re: Please Help Me!

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    the discussion topics are all over the place in this thread and the thread title is too general.

    it won't help much to members in providing useful info unless they have to read from first post, and follow closely.

    I suggest TS you take a step back, close this thread.
    think carefully what you really want and start a new thread with proper thread title for further discussion.
    Thanks catchlights. I should have rename it to "E-M10 vs EOS 70D"
    I will close this thread by this sunday after concluding on the choice.

    Sorry!

  20. #160

    Default Re: Please Help Me!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ah Keong View Post
    Thanks catchlights. I should have rename it to "E-M10 vs EOS 70D"
    I will close this thread by this sunday after concluding on the choice.

    Sorry!
    2 very different cameras you are comparing here.

    My vote goes to the EM10!!
    - 3 axis IBIS
    - Great primes...light, small in size and affordable
    - Fast and accurate autofocus (during live view no less)
    - Retro design
    - Superb image quality
    Why pixel-peep? Go out and shoot more!
    Kon's Flickr

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 36789 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •