Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Please Help Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Keong View Post

Thanks brapodam! I shall reconsider the E-M10, EOS 70D and the EOS 7D again.
    I tried the E-M10 at the Olympus Showroom today at low light. Sometimes the focus may fail to lock on the green square properly.
    Given all your posts, sounds like u prefer to go for DSLR especially Canon. Time to help your friend to offload his DSLR for whatever reasons he wants to sell it.
    Last edited by sin77; 4th December 2014 at 10:35 PM.
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

Default Re: Please Help Me!

Thanks brapodam! I shall reconsider the E-M10, EOS 70D and the EOS 7D again.
    I tried the E-M10 at the Olympus Showroom today at low light. Sometimes the focus may fail to lock on the green square properly.
    Fail to focus normally is due to these reasons, the contrast at the square area is small, af illuminator not on to assist (red beam light), square is too big (yes, EM10 can change to a smaller AF box, which helps quite a bit).

It looks something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by wonglp View Post

Fail to focus normally is due to these reasons, the contrast at the square area is small, af illuminator not on to assist (red beam light), square is too big (yes, EM10 can change to a smaller AF box, which helps quite a bit).

Or when the subject is too close to the lens, not meeting the minimum working distance.
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

Quote Originally Posted by sin77 View Post
    Given all your posts, sounds like u prefer to go for DSLR especially Canon. Time to help your friend to offload his DSLR for whatever reasons he wants to sell it.
    Thanks sin77! Currently I am leaning towards Canon as it has video capability. Most probably I would offload his Sigma lens and use the remaining Xmas budget for remaining stuff should I consider to get EOS 70D.

Quote Originally Posted by wonglp View Post

Thanks wonglp! I focus a dark corner and switch on my handphone LED before the green square can lock on.

Thanks sin77! Currently I am leaning towards Canon as it has video capability. Most probably I would offload his Sigma lens and use the remaining Xmas budget for remaining stuff should I consider to get EOS 70D.

Hi all the cameras have video capability

For video I use a Sony SLT because I like the fast phase detect autofocus and the focus peaking

It is like a mix of DSLR and mirrorless and shoots very good also

Thanks wonglp! I focus a dark corner and switch on my handphone LED before the green square can lock on.
    This is very sad that you need to do this

I never needed to do this with my cameras

If you use a camera with a good EVF it can be like sseing in the dark, the camera will show you what your eyes cannot see anymore

wow...complete darkness focusing or low light...hmmm...well think thats a real problem...now half drunk like when i took the shot below, around 3am i guess, with EM10 and kit lens EZ14-42mm, handheld...but not so ambitous in no light situation...think that EM10 is not for you...you need something thats probably more omnipotent...i don't what, but good luck...

P9070079

straight off JPEG without editing...in photography, the 1st word one should learn is light...and not darkness...
    Last edited by ckwomdem10; 5th December 2014 at 02:58 AM.

in my humble opinion, the cameras mentioned in this thread are good cameras, the only variable is the user and you need to start somewhere and where its most comfortable and conducive...the continual comparison of systems/cameras is not going to get anywhere...

any camera can take the best and the worst of any given situation and i always think that with the most limited of resources, creativity will strive...and this is what you should aspire towards, not the equipment. so, i always advocate, to train the eye and mind 1st...good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ckwomdem10 View Post
    wow...complete darkness focusing or low light...hmmm...well think thats a real problem...now half drunk like when i took the shot below, around 3am i guess, with EM10 and kit lens EZ14-42mm, handheld...but not so ambitous in no light situation...think that EM10 is not for you...you need something thats probably more omnipotent...i don't what, but good luck...

P9070079

straight off JPEG without editing...in photography, the 1st word one should learn is light...and not darkness...
    Did u use art filter or HDR? How long is the exposure?

Strange way of testing a camera/lens. Maybe u are macro shooter, but such shooter usually use manual focusing.

Bro... if you are leaning towards video capability... why don't you consider the Panasonic GH4? From what I understand, it's video capability at present is consider the best in the market (even better than 5D's video capability at the moment)... and it had the DSLR form factor, with very fast and accurate AF. Plus you get to use Oly lenses on it too (m4/3 mount). Plus I think it is smaller than most DSLR out there, and lighter too.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Did u use art filter or HDR? How long is the exposure?
    i used dramatic tone to bring out the red, no HDR, aperture priority at F3.5, cannot remember the shutter speed as i don't have my camera or computer with me, but its around 1/30 or slightly slower.

Quote Originally Posted by ElCarnicero View Post
    Hi all the cameras have video capability

For video I use a Sony SLT because I like the fast phase detect autofocus and the focus peaking

It is like a mix of DSLR and mirrorless and shoots very good also
    Thanks ElCarnicero for the Sony recommendation! Currently I am leaning towards the Canon.

Quote Originally Posted by ElCarnicero View Post
    This is very sad that you need to do this

I never needed to do this with my cameras

If you use a camera with a good EVF it can be like sseing in the dark, the camera will show you what your eyes cannot see anymore
    I tried doing without the handphone LED for 10 times. It is able to focus 7 out of 10 times. So I tried with handphone LED switched ON.
    Actually the Olympus digital viewfinder scope is cool, it is able to add in automatic 'lightup' in the scope even though the spot was dark. Don't think the Canon optical viewfinder scope can do this.

Thanks ckwomdem10!

this picture looks like the outram park MRT corridor near Eu Tong Seng / Chinatown?
    what you say is true, maybe I should be spend the Xmas budget on books rather than on hardware.

in my humble opinion, the cameras mentioned in this thread are good cameras, the only variable is the user and you need to start somewhere and where its most comfortable and conducive...the continual comparison of systems/cameras is not going to get anywhere...

any camera can take the best and the worst of any given situation and i always think that with the most limited of resources, creativity will strive...and this is what you should aspire towards, not the equipment. so, i always advocate, to train the eye and mind 1st...good luck!
    totally agree. I shall reconsider again this weekend and conclude on the hardware and spend more time and resources on books.
    the eye and mind is more important than the hardware.

thanks a lotz!

Strange way of testing a camera/lens. Maybe u are macro shooter, but such shooter usually use manual focusing.
    Haha, I just tried my newbie way of testing the low light capability.
    The Olympus lens is cool! Just pull the ring up and down the lens and it will go into manual focus.

Stylo man!

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Bro... if you are leaning towards video capability... why don't you consider the Panasonic GH4? From what I understand, it's video capability at present is consider the best in the market (even better than 5D's video capability at the moment)... and it had the DSLR form factor, with very fast and accurate AF. Plus you get to use Oly lenses on it too (m4/3 mount). Plus I think it is smaller than most DSLR out there, and lighter too.
    Thanks rhino123! my friend recommended Panasonic GH3 but told me that the GH3 do not have In Body Image Stabalise technology that the Olympus have and the Olympus lens do not have the In Lens Image Stabalise technology that the Panasonic have.

I shall reconsider and conclude by this weekend. Thanks and sorry if I waste your time and advice.

I would like to thanks everyone for the time, recommendation and advice given.
    I shall reconsider and conclude by this week and spend more time on books instead to train the eye and mind.

Hope I did not waste your time and effort. Thanks everybody!!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast