Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will ManU thrash anyone 5-0 - split from "How many of you here snap for a living?"

Originally posted by zhapchit

hmm... i wonder why
    I dunno. Please tell me...

Originally posted by NitroTech

I dunno. Please tell me...
    nevermind

Originally posted by maddog
    so many teams beat man u. but none except arsenal has won the cup in recent years.
    Huh? What talk you?#

The most recent team to win the European Cup was Man Utd, Arsenal haven't won it in donkeys (have they ever? No doubt some Arsenal fan will tell me emphatically they have...).

Last English club to win the UEFA Cup were Liverpool a couple of seasons back.

Last English club to win the FA Cup were Arsenal, but Liverpool beat them the season before that.

I've completely forgotten who won the Worthington Cup, but it wasn't Arsenal.

So how did you get that lovely statement of yours?

I believe maddog ws refering to the Premier League.

For the record, Arsenal has never won the Chanpions League or its predecessor European Cup before.

Last year's not-so WORTHYington Cup was Blackburn, I think. Really not too sure about this one.

Originally posted by Jed

Huh? What talk you?#

The most recent team to win the European Cup was Man Utd, Arsenal haven't won it in donkeys (have they ever? No doubt some Arsenal fan will tell me emphatically they have...).

Last English club to win the UEFA Cup were Liverpool a couple of seasons back.

Last English club to win the FA Cup were Arsenal, but Liverpool beat them the season before that.

I've completely forgotten who won the Worthington Cup, but it wasn't Arsenal.

So how did you get that lovely statement of yours?
    I think Maddog phrased the "lovely" statement wrongly.... Think what he meant was that no other team has won the Barclay card PREMIER LEAGUE besides Man Utd and Arsenal........ but come to think of it.... Blackburn won it once too when SAS were playing for them......

As did Leeds. Except of course, no one has won the Barclaycard Premiership except Arsenal, because before that it was the Carling Premiership.

And at any rate, winning the Barclaycard Premiership can be called winning the league, winning the title, winning the championship, winning the Premiership, etc. But really, the cup?

Maybe he was talking about the Auto-Windscreens Trophy (which I also believe has been renamed actually). But then again, that's a trophy, not a cup...

Originally posted by Jed
    As did Leeds. Except of course, no one has won the Barclaycard Premiership except Arsenal, because before that it was the Carling Premiership.

And at any rate, winning the Barclaycard Premiership can be called winning the league, winning the title, winning the championship, winning the Premiership, etc. But really, the cup?

Maybe he was talking about the Auto-Windscreens Trophy (which I also believe has been renamed actually). But then again, that's a trophy, not a cup...
    Oh did Leeds?? I did not know that. Pardon me. I only thought they won it (with Cantona) the season before the Premier League started. It was Division One before that? Please correct me if i'm wrong...

I thought it was the Prem already, I might well be wrong.

Originally posted by Jed

only a fool would not get it. seems like everyone else did.

As far as I can remember, cups are cups, premier leagues are premier leagues, 2 different entities altogether. That was how I know when I studied in UK 14 years back (During that time was still referred as Division 1 format). Since Jed is based in UK, he does have his point.

http://www.observer.co.uk/Print/0,3858,4346106,00.html

Yup, confirmed..... Leeds won the last Division One title (3rd paragraph). The Premiership have only been won by Man Utd, ARSEnal and Blackburn Rovers.

No, only a fool would call something by the one thing it's not known as. Like I illustrated, there are at least four Cups, and one Premier League. It takes a good amount of misfortune to hit the wrong one out of the five...

And as to calling me a fool, how personal was that? You know, I'm tempted to call you a blithering idiot. Who cannot type properly and then makes personal attacks on people when they cannot read his mind through his imperfect syntax.

But I won't.

maddog, I got what you meant but this statement a bit ......agressive. No ofence, just an opinion.

Relax people; it's just a game!

It's a long season, let's just enjoy it over beer and peanuts!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaam seng!

sorry lah. its just that everyone else understood except mr moderator who's so picky about syntax.

Jed I believe was speaking in his capacity as a forumer, not as a moderator. What is the problem with people having an attitude towards those in positions of authority? Also I didn't get it initially, everyone who has a bit of footy knowledge would think you were referring to a competition other than the EPL. Only after reading your statement again then I did get it, because of the reference to Arsenal and Man U winning the competition. Sure, people got what you meant eventually, but people also knew you got it wrong. What's wrong with being picky about syntax anyway? Maybe you're just sloppy in your attitude, but most of us hold ourselves up to much higher standards than that.

maddog, Jed didn't quite say it out outright, but I will. You're a blithering idiot who refuses to accept that you're wrong and then makes personal attacks as well as insulting comments in a pathetic attempts to prove you're right. You might think rather highly of yourself, but frankly quite a few people I know think otherwise, myself included. Get your head out of the sand.

This will be my first and last post in this thread, as well my last post addressed to maddog.

Oh man...stop it already guys...we're not doing anyone good here...

sorry lah. its just that everyone else understood except mr moderator who's so picky about syntax.
    Yes, I was speaking as a forumer. No, I wasn't being picky about syntax. Picky is when I'm splitting hairs. I wasn't exactly splitting hairs. There happens to be a fundamental difference between what you were intending to talk about and what you actually typed. A bit like saying that your wife has just given birth to a boy and expecting me to understand that she'd given birth to a girl.

It's only through everyone else's careful examination of your statement, realising that she cannot have given birth to a boy because they were at her bedside and she was holding a girl, that they realised what you were talking about.

If you want me to quibble, here it is. That's the second time you've said everyone else understood it. Clearly, your idea of everyone is everyone, minus whoever didn't understand it. Such as Goondu and Zhapchit for example.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12