Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 G IF-ED to be released in November 2002

  1. #1
    ClubSNAP Admin Darren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,493
    Blog Entries
    2

    Exclamation AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 G IF-ED to be released in November 2002

    Grays of Westminster has a news item that the AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 G IF-ED will be released (available?) in November 2002.

    http://www.graysofwestminster.co.uk/newsitem.php?id=30

    Most interesting is the price - quoting directly from the webpage -

    "This exciting new lens costs 1499.00 inc. VAT."

    No indication of US$ or S$ cost yet.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,411

    Default Re: AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 G IF-ED to be released in November 2002

    Originally posted by Darren
    Grays of Westminster has a news item that the AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 G IF-ED will be released (available?) in November 2002.

    http://www.graysofwestminster.co.uk/newsitem.php?id=30

    Most interesting is the price - quoting directly from the webpage -

    "This exciting new lens costs 1499.00 inc. VAT."

    No indication of US$ or S$ cost yet.
    I'm not sure how much you can deduct due to VAT but its probably going to be more than 3k.

  3. #3

    Default

    Darren, r u getting the WHITE one?

    The current AFS is about S$2800, so more than S$3k for the AFS VR should be possible...hope the AFD can still maintain in production.
    DR KOH KHO KING

  4. #4
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,411

    Default

    Ok, VAT is 17.5%.

    Had a look at the price list for other stuff. The F5 is 5 pounds cheaper. So for this lense, maybe you'll be looking at almost the same price as the F5.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    In Paradise
    Posts
    546

    Default

    Originally posted by Kit
    Ok, VAT is 17.5%.

    Had a look at the price list for other stuff. The F5 is 5 pounds cheaper. So for this lense, maybe you'll be looking at almost the same price as the F5.
    that is expensive.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,411

    Default

    Originally posted by NitroTech


    that is expensive.
    Yeah, last time I checked, the F5 is about 3.4k.

  7. #7

    Default

    The current AFS would be the most cost effective buy as it is not limited to cameras with G compatibility. Wonder why the strange positioning of the 70-200 G price.

  8. #8

    Default

    No, the most cost effective is the AF-n. :P

  9. #9

    Default

    Not so fast. I have it and agree its very good value for money.

  10. #10

    Default

    Yep, have to agree with yslee's choice... AF-n is still the best buy in terms of a quality lens for a realistic and affordable price!

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,913

    Default

    Heh. Definitely.

    On a more serious note, the price quoted from Grays is very very reasonable. Very very very reasonable. From what I'm getting, it sounds ever so slightly more than the current version.

    But then again, Nikon might have made some compromises in quality then too...

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,464

    Default

    70-200 range?

    f2.8?

    with image stabilisation?

    *yawn*

    AFS with image stabilisation together?

    *big yawn*

    lens compatibility issues?

    *tsk tsk*

    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

  13. #13

    Default

    Originally posted by Jed
    On a more serious note, the price quoted from Grays is very very reasonable. Very very very reasonable. From what I'm getting, it sounds ever so slightly more than the current version.
    In addition to that, Nikon Owners Club Members also get a 10% members discount when we buy new equipment from Grays. That brings the price down to 1349.10 inc. VAT. In the case of a company purchase, the VAT will be claimed back, making it 1113.00!

  14. #14

    Default

    like the design

    at least there's some diff from the current AFS 80-200
    may be nikon is moving towards 70-200 range liao?

    well as for canon EF 70-200IS, still looks the same as the current one



  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,913

    Default

    Originally posted by Red Dawn
    70-200 range?

    f2.8?

    with image stabilisation?

    *yawn*

    AFS with image stabilisation together?

    *big yawn*

    lens compatibility issues?

    *tsk tsk*

    And here I was thinking you really coveted that Leica. Now I know you're like all Canon users out there, the more bells and whistles, the better.

    Besides, you're better off sticking to the joys of TTL flash metering with your M6 or M7 or whatever it is you've bought now... especially since neither Nikon nor Canon have it on their 70-200.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,464

    Default

    Originally posted by Jed


    And here I was thinking you really coveted that Leica. Now I know you're like all Canon users out there, the more bells and whistles, the better.

    Besides, you're better off sticking to the joys of TTL flash metering with your M6 or M7 or whatever it is you've bought now... especially since neither Nikon nor Canon have it on their 70-200.
    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    5,499

    Default

    the link and specs are already available on the Nikon SG site...

    http://www.nikon.com.sg/PRODUCT/LENS...M-70-200mm.htm

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •