Thread: still life: ipod

Default still life: ipod

harlows all! my try at shooting ipod! do give me comments yeah?

Default Re: still life: ipod

frankly, i would shoot against a black background as this would enhance the metallic aspect of the iPod. and also, try to shoot in f/5.6 and above if you have not already done so. there are some blurred edges (done on purpose?)
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

Quote Originally Posted by drumma
    harlows all! my try at shooting ipod! do give me comments yeah?

I don't think it qualifies as a still life. It looks more like a product picture. As mentioned by others, the depth of field is very shallow and the contrast to the background is poor. The shine on the metal plate is also a bit strange at the edges, as if there were fingerprints.

okie! all points noted! i too agree that there isn't enuff DOF. i will try again this week. also will clean the metal plate before shooting!! i didn't realise until i saw the photos!!

didn't know what to classified under. was thinking of naming it product shot but seems like my photo of this ipod don't seem to be that appealing yet.. but anyway, any comments on the lighting? i couldn't find a black background.

my setup was just 2 pieces of white paper and a table lamp. shot with a 10D+50mm lens with flash. other than the DOF and background, any other comments to help me improve this photo?

appreciate those who gave me tips!

cheers

noticed something... just above the iPod, there's this grey colored area. is this shadow? if yes, then you need to pay attention to it. get rid of it in your next shot.

oh, if you need black background, can always go to Popular Bookstore and get the black vanguard sheet. not expensive.
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

Well at least you did give it a try! Now I'm also tempted to something about my 3 day old iPod ...

Quote Originally Posted by mohgui
    noticed something... just above the iPod, there's this grey colored area. is this shadow? if yes, then you need to pay attention to it. get rid of it in your next shot.

oh, if you need black background, can always go to Popular Bookstore and get the black vanguard sheet. not expensive.

yup! now with more experience, i would want to go and try!! actually it's a shadow. u are right. i don't know how to eliminate it with my lighting lei.. i tried to find an angle i can shoot without the shadows as minimal. the grey coloured area was blue colour and i didn't know how it became blue colour. i tried to do some PS here and there to get rid but failed.. that's why i converted this image to black and white.

was thinking of naming it product shot but seems like my photo of this ipod don't seem to be that appealing yet
    My take is, a product shot shows the work of someone else (i.e. the industrial design of the iPod). To me, a still life involves an arrangement of objects that comes from your own creativity.

.. but anyway, any comments on the lighting? i couldn't find a black background.

my setup was just 2 pieces of white paper and a table lamp. shot with a 10D+50mm lens with flash.
    It's hard to say much about the lighting. The picture is quite bright (I can hardly make out the edges and grooves of the white plastic (?) case), so some things may not show up. The tricky part is usually to get rid of ugly harsh shadows, but retain enough shadows to show the texture (e.g. the grooves in the plastic) and make the object look 3-D. I think using only one light + diffuse reflectors as you do is a good way to go -- it avoids a lot of pitfalls of multiple light sources, like crossing shadows.

One way of getting a darker background is to move the background far away from the object, so that it doesn't get illuminated. This also eliminates shadows of the object on the background, and gets the background out of focus (surface texture of background materials could be distracting). Of course, this requires an "invisible" way to suspend the object. Also, in the age of photoshop, the background can be easily changed as long as there is enough contrast to the object (think of "blue boxes" in video/TV).

Or, one can turn the problem into a feature and place the object e.g. on a reflective surface (glass, ceramic) and make the reflection part of the picture.

Just use your creativity.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Goi
    Well at least you did give it a try! Now I'm also tempted to something about my 3 day old iPod ...

wah!! faster go shoot before it gets disfigured!!! :P it was quite a fun time shooting my ipod. cos i have 2 hours to spare yesterday and i thought why not i shoot my ipod since i have a lamp and white paper! and yup.. actually, i'm quite happy with the results cos it's my first try.

any ideas on the lighting how u guys usually setup?

the grey coloured area was blue colour and i didn't know how it became blue colour.
    Chances are, you illuminated with incandescent light (red), but the shadow got brightened up by ambient daylight (blue) - so you have light sources of different colour illuminating the same picture.

wah!! alot of things for me to absorb!! thanks for teaching me all these littlewolf! any where on the net i can read? any links?

Deregistered

wah!! alot of things for me to absorb!! thanks for teaching me all these littlewolf! any where on the net i can read? any links?
    It's obvious this ipod was shot landscape, but you tilted it to portrait I can see the shadows caused by the light source

Try resting it on a dock or something to make it stand up If I have the time tomorrow, I'll shoot my mini

okie!!! show me how u guys do it!! me want to learn!!! i'm very inspired by terence's works. that's why i wanted to have a try on my ipod as well..

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=146987

here it is. one of his series. hope he doesn't mind.

any where on the net i can read? any links?
    I don't have good links (I never bother to bookmark things), but I'm sure if you search you will find tons of good articles. There's a good book by Andreas Feininger called "Light and Lighting in Photography" (or similar), but it may be a bit dated. I think you'd gain most from looking at others' pictures and experimenting yourself.

With digital cameras you get instant feedback on how changes in the lighting arrangement affect the pictures. The camera records a lot of details that the eye/brain filters away when you look at the "live" setup (like the blue shadow you observed), which is great for learning.

Deregistered

I'm not an exactly product/still life person, but anyway, just for fun

wah!~!~ cool lei! i like the colours! care to share ur lighting? i'm very bad at it.

Deregistered

wah!~!~ cool lei! i like the colours! care to share ur lighting? i'm very bad at it.
    Well, I used 2 flashes, one was used as filling in the shadows, whilst the other was used to illuminate the subject

where do u put it?

Deregistered

One was on the camera, the other was the direction where I think the shadows will be and remotely triggered it

wah! okie..thanks for all the tips! appreciate it alot!