Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ckwomdem10 View Post

many newbies in photography only think that there are 2 types of cameras, DSLRs and compacts, other than phone cameras. they would think that lugging a huge DSLR is very pro and cool, anything smaller, like M43/mirrorless, would be classed as a compact, amateurish and uncool...sigh

with today's technology, DSLRs are slowly being sidelined and M43/mirrorless gaining traction with the masses as well as professionals.

in the end its what that comes out of the camera that counts, not whats in the hand that matters.
    I like it that people dun take me seriously when I'm out shooting on the streets using my m43 cameras. Lugging a huge dslr attracts unwanted attention to yourself.

But I also read somewhere on another thread whereby the user commented that he "hates" it when people dun look upon him as a "serious" photographer. So, he insists on using his big DSLR to give people the impression that he's a damn "serious" photographer
    Last edited by KonTrol; 30th November 2014 at 08:12 PM.
    Why pixel-peep? Go out and shoot more!
    Kon's Flickr

Default Re: Advice needed.

Quote Originally Posted by KonTrol View Post
    I like it that people dun take me seriously when I'm out shooting on the streets using my m43 cameras. Lugging a huge dslr attracts unwanted attention to yourself.

But I also read somewhere on another thread whereby the user commented that he "hates" it when people dun look upon him as a "serious" photographer. So, he insists on using his big DSLR to give people the impression that he's a damn "serious" photographer
    hmm...letting other people's opinion to get the better of oneself show a lack of confidence.

anyway, what does a 'serious' photographer mean? a person with a huge DSLR 'serious' camera but takes ordinary looking photos that someone with a camera phone can do better or a person with a not 'serious' non-descript looking camera but takes gorgeous photos that other people enjoy...go figure...

if people comment that i am not a serious photographer because of my M43, i'll jus tell them i am not one, i just enjoy taking photos.

hmm...letting other people's opinion to get the better of oneself show a lack of confidence.

anyway, what does a 'serious' photographer mean? a person with a huge DSLR 'serious' camera but takes ordinary looking photos that someone with a camera phone can do better or a person with a not 'serious' non-descript looking camera but takes gorgeous photos that other people enjoy...go figure...

if people comment that i am not a serious photographer because of my M43, i'll jus tell them i am not one, i just enjoy taking photos.
    Same sentiments...but I think we should shelf the big camera vs small camera talk for the time being.

We are here to help TS choose his first camera ya?

Choose the camera based on what pleases you and not based on what pleases your peers.
    Why pixel-peep? Go out and shoot more!
    Kon's Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Nikonzen View Post
    IMO body is important but glass trumps body. So I would research the best glass available within your budget for each brand/model of body you are interested in then go down to the store and find out which one feels the best in your hands.

I always feemed (crazy poison desire) for the venerable 105/2.5 Nikkor so I ended up primarily a Nikon shooter. I have Canon stuff too because I love virtually all camera gear and also because I have learned that it is myself that limits my growth more so than any particular camera brand I may operate.

I have always bought second hand partly because of my economic situation but mainly that is just how I roll. Cameras are just lightbrushes to me...a tool. Because I research stuff pretty thoroughly I have been pretty successful with this approach so far. You might oughtta take a gander at older pro level full frame used bodies too as prices are very fair for the amount of camera body you get. This is what I have been doing for a few years now anticipating the price drop on FX as the tech evolves. We are at that point now I think.

You must design your system with many things in mind so please do take your time!
    Hmm.. fiddle around with the 70D during Sitex and I kind of like the feel of it.
    And my budget is able to suit that too. Initially, as I mentioned, was comparing between 700D and 70D.
    Think up till now, am more interested in 70D as its a mid range, not really over my budget and also, might be able to get additional lens too.

And after researching, looking through video reviews, seeking opinions and stuff. In short, I came to the conclusion that everyone has their own personal preference, and its really hard for others to advise me. Except from the standard answers.
    So I guess, will be going with what I like, comfortable and one that suits my budget. Will help to keep things simple too.
    Also, I also learnt that it isn't entirely about the equipment but the skills too.

Why not consider the m43 offerings from Olympus and Panasonic?

Small body size with great image quality, affordable range of lens (small in size too) and if you choose Panasonic, you get great video capabilities too.
    Nah, just doesn't like what the other brand's design offer. Frankly, speaking I am biased towards Nikon, Canon, Samsung. Not that I am seeking attention for the design of the DSLR, just that I simply like the design. I know of friends that used these cameras but still came up with superb pictures too. But, guess it just ain't my cup of tea in the design department.

Quote Originally Posted by SeAnCoLd View Post
    Offering my 2 cents worth: Lenses determine largely how good the image will turn out. The camera does play a big part too, because the sensor cannot be changed. In film era, the camera doesn't matter as much. If the lens is good, you will get good photos since you're using the same light capturing media (film). That's why good compact cameras such as the Contax T2 and T3 were and are still worth so much. They offer a compact body with a very good lens. Now, when we buy a camera, we get a sensor that is fixed, and trust me, different sensors make a whole lot of difference. For one, the image quality of full frame sensors cannot be matched by smaller sensors (my word, and not everybody will agree). Even when the sensor is of the same size, they vary in terms of quality and characteristics of the images they capture. I was using a Canon 40D and I thought my friend's 550D with newer technology will allow me to capture better pictures. Thus, I borrowed it for a trip up Mount Kinabalu. The pictures were sharp and had low noise, but were disappointing nonetheless. I haven't really scrutinised them, but I just don't like how they looked.

Moral of the story: Prioritise your needs (weight, image quality, other useful functions like a tilty-swivelly screen), and get the best camera body you can afford. (My 40D is still serving me well after 5-6 years). EOS 70D is not too bad, but consider EOS 6D too. Like what other brothers have said, maybe skip the Samsung and consider Olympus and Fujifilm (my pick).
    Yep,I understand where they are getting from but as I mentioned, the design just isn't my cup of tea.
    Guess I will just take the plunge and learn from experience instead. lol

Weight is not really a concern, but definitely the lighter the better. Image quality I am not too sure though. And definitely functions like WiFi, tilting screens, touch screens etc. will definitely aid me.

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    Good advice, but don't forget that you need to get the best set of equipment you can afford, not just the best camera body. I know some people who get a 6D and only have enough money left for a 50/1.8. If that's what you can afford, I would rather you get a m4/3 body with a full set of lenses.
    I am definitely taking this advice. Thus eyeing the 70D with the S18-55 IS STM kit lens, and also maybe an additional lens. But I am not too sure which additional lens to get though.

For me, I don't give a damn what others think about. I will take inputs from others but at the end of the day, the choice is with me. I prefer having inputs to allow me to make a better decision. And no matter what you choose, there will always be people that opposes it.

Agreed, I enjoy photography, therefore I picked it up.
    Its the passion that is important.

Same sentiments...but I think we should shelf the big camera vs small camera talk for the time being.

We are here to help TS choose his first camera ya?

Choose the camera based on what pleases you and not based on what pleases your peers.
    , alright. All mentioned below.

So that's about it for now.
    Having my eyes on the 70D currently, will be going down to shops to have a feel and seek pricings.
    Which additional lens should I get?
    Anyone knows where can I go to, to experience the camera and also which shops will be ideal to purchase from.
    And also, what are the basic accessories required. E.g Tripod etc.

Anyway, really appreciate the numerous inputs by fellow Clubsnappers.
    Helped me to think through from different perspectives.
    Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by froztheart View Post

Having my eyes on the 70D currently, will be going down to shops to have a feel and seek pricings.
    Anyone knows where can I go to, to experience the camera and also which shops will be ideal to purchase from.

Thanks guys!
    The list of shops quoted from rhino123. You can consider to start shooting first then decide whether you need a tripod or not.

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    AP-F: Alan Photo, #02-07 Funan The IT Mall | 6883-0922 | alanfoto@singnet.com.sg
    AP-S: Alan Photo, #01-38 Sim Lim Square | 6336-0922 | alanfoto@singnet.com.sg
    CP-1: Cathay Photo, #01-11, 14 Peninsula Plaza (Main) | 6337-4274 | email@cathayphoto.com.sg
    CP-2: Cathay Photo, Peninsula (Printer Section) | 6338-7783 | email@cathayphoto.com.sg
    CP-3: Cathay Photo, Peninsula (Tripod Section) | 6338-0451 | email@cathayphoto.com.sg
    CP-M: Cathay Photo, #02-215, Marina Square | 6339-6188 | email@cathayphoto.com.sg
    JO: John 3:16, #05-37 Funan Digitalife Mall | 6337-2877 | 6337-1897 | j316ps@gmail.com
    MS: MS Color (Main), 711 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 8, #01-3501C | 6457-6380 | sales@mscolor.com.sg
    MS: MS Color (AMK Hub), 53 Ang Mo Kio Ave 3 #02-24 | 6452-2828 | sales@mscolor.com.sg
    OP: Orient Photo, #06-31 | 53 Sim Lim Square | 6339-1035 | sales@orientfoto.com.sg
    SLRR: SLR Revolution, #05-K7 Funan Digitalife Mall | 6336-8767 | slr.revo@gmail.com
    TK: T.K. Foto Technic, #02-14 Funan Digitalife Mall | 6292-4533 | www.tkfoto.com.sg

Send them an email to ask for quotation before going down. That way, you get to compare prices. Note that some shops sell some item cheaper than others but other items more expensive so you have quite a bit of shopping to do. Don't bet on just one shop.

Also one friend word of reminder... "Only buy items that you have done research and gotten e-quote on." Forget about buying filters and the such. Normally when you bought something, alot of salemen will ask you to buy UV filter too, it is up to you to take up the offer, but normally, I will just forget about it. So far none of my lens has any UV filter on, and I don't see the needs for it. Secondly... if you don't know that particular brand of filter, you might open up some chances for the shop to chop carrot.
    Last edited by renol; 3rd December 2014 at 07:21 PM.

Thanks guys!
    If you want to have a feel and maybe play with the camera a little more, go to megastore... but don't buy there. Just play play with it... and see if you really like it or not. Then go to other shops to get your camera.

As for where to buy your camera, look at our reputable shops. A short summary would be - SLRR, TKfoto, John3:16, Click!, Alan Photo - all found in Funan, Cathay Photo - found in Peninsula Singapore (next to Funan), MScolor - Ang Mo Kio.

Send them an email to request for availability of the camera and the price for it... then get down to the cheapest one and buy.

As to what lens to get... frankly speaking... nobody knows. I would buy a 55-250mm lens if I were you, but that is just me...
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Thanks guys!
    I'll say, play around with kit lens setup and see what you lack, then decide on additional lens.
    But for inexpensive "add-ons", for tele, you have EF-S 55-250, and wide angle: EF-S 10-18.

For tripod, I still find Sirui is quite value for money (go to TK to see the wide selections of Sirui tripods). Bring your heaviest setup to test the stability of the tripod.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

If you want to have a feel and maybe play with the camera a little more, go to megastore... but don't buy there. Just play play with it... and see if you really like it or not. Then go to other shops to get your camera.

As for where to buy your camera, look at our reputable shops. A short summary would be - SLRR, TKfoto, John3:16, Click!, Alan Photo - all found in Funan, Cathay Photo - found in Peninsula Singapore (next to Funan), MScolor - Ang Mo Kio.

Send them an email to request for availability of the camera and the price for it... then get down to the cheapest one and buy.

As to what lens to get... frankly speaking... nobody knows. I would buy a 55-250mm lens if I were you, but that is just me...
    Ahhh, I see. Alright then.

Oh, so couldn't find some of the ones you listed on the forum though.
    I've seen fellow ClubSnappers mentioning that, most of them don't reply online or take too long.
    Guess I will just head down instead.

May I know, why would you get the 55-250mm lens?

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    I'll say, play around with kit lens setup and see what you lack, then decide on additional lens.
    But for inexpensive "add-ons", for tele, you have EF-S 55-250, and wide angle: EF-S 10-18.

For tripod, I still find Sirui is quite value for money (go to TK to see the wide selections of Sirui tripods). Bring your heaviest setup to test the stability of the tripod.
    Good idea! Will head down to stores to fiddle around with the kits instead.
    Yep, still considering which lens to get. Will have to try first, before knowing which to get.

I meant, what's the standard accessories people will get along with their DLSR purchases?

I meant, what's the standard accessories people will get along with their DLSR purchases?
    Usually, the spare batteries, dry cabinet, tripod, shutter remotes...

then at a later stage for landscape lovers, filters. Or flashes for those who wants to explore lighting stuffs.
    Last edited by SkyStrike; 4th December 2014 at 09:36 AM.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Ahhh, I see. Alright then.

Oh, so couldn't find some of the ones you listed on the forum though.
    I've seen fellow ClubSnappers mentioning that, most of them don't reply online or take too long.
    Guess I will just head down instead.

May I know, why would you get the 55-250mm lens?

Good idea! Will head down to stores to fiddle around with the kits instead.
    Yep, still considering which lens to get. Will have to try first, before knowing which to get.

Sorry, the list I listed before is kind of old. I just got some experience very recently with Click and it was pretty positive, so I decided to include that as one of my recommended shops.

As to why I get the 55-250mm, it was because it complement the 18-55mm very well. 18-55mm + 55-250mm lens would cover most of the focal range that I need from a bit of wide angle to telephoto, supporting all my needs from landscape to wildlife (or zoo shots). I have the old 55-250mm lens, it focus pretty quickly and accurately in good lighting and is very sharp (in my opinion). The lens is also light enough that I find the weigh almost negligible.

Another lens that I would recommend is the 18-200mm or 18-135mm, these lens can also be kit lens for the 70D, they are very convenient more convenient than the 18-55mm + 55-250mm combo.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Usually, the spare batteries, dry cabinet, tripod, shutter remotes...

then at a later stage for landscape lovers, filters. Or flashes for those who wants to explore lighting stuffs.
    Noted! Thanks a lot!

Sorry, the list I listed before is kind of old. I just got some experience very recently with Click and it was pretty positive, so I decided to include that as one of my recommended shops.

As to why I get the 55-250mm, it was because it complement the 18-55mm very well. 18-55mm + 55-250mm lens would cover most of the focal range that I need from a bit of wide angle to telephoto, supporting all my needs from landscape to wildlife (or zoo shots). I have the old 55-250mm lens, it focus pretty quickly and accurately in good lighting and is very sharp (in my opinion). The lens is also light enough that I find the weigh almost negligible.

Another lens that I would recommend is the 18-200mm or 18-135mm, these lens can also be kit lens for the 70D, they are very convenient more convenient than the 18-55mm + 55-250mm combo.
    Haha, no worries.
    I see...
    In that case, I will definitely need to go down and experience the lenses myself and also check whether it's within my budget~

Erm, anyone knows what is the market price for 60D lens 50mm f/1.8 II lens
    Basic stuffs like box etc. included except the charging cable.

Erm, anyone knows what is the market price for 60D lens 50mm f/1.8 II lens
    Basic stuffs like box etc. included except the charging cable.
    You want to buy with box but no charging cable?

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    You want to buy with box but no charging cable?
    As in, the person states that he lost the charging cable mah.
    So was thinking if that's the case what is the market price for a seldom used but new 60D.
    Anyone?

As in, the person states that he lost the charging cable mah.
    So was thinking if that's the case what is the market price for a seldom used but new 60D.
    Anyone?
    It's pretty hard to tell which set is seldom used or heavily used just be looking at text posts itself. It will be on inspection during the meetup that the impression of how heavily used it is. Regardless of how much it's used, it's been out for some years, so I wouldn't expect the prices to be too different from a seldom-used set.

It's pretty hard to tell which set is seldom used or heavily used just be looking at text posts itself. It will be on inspection during the meetup that the impression of how heavily used it is. Regardless of how much it's used, it's been out for some years, so I wouldn't expect the prices to be too different from a seldom-used set.
    The person quoted that its 9.5/10 though. I saw it on carousell and the person wants me to offer a reasonable price for it.
    Was thinking, if its cheap, why not?
    Therefore, seeking a rough estimate of the pricing.

The person quoted that its 9.5/10 though. I saw it on carousell and the person wants me to offer a reasonable price for it.
    Was thinking, if its cheap, why not?
    Therefore, seeking a rough estimate of the pricing.
    Check Buy & Sell, take maybe $50 off for the charger (assuming this is meant with 'charging cable'). Make sure the seller has a charged battery at hand. Otherwise you won't be able to check anything.
    EOS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12