Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help, complete noob needs to buy a cam for my daughter.

Default Re: Need help, complete noob needs to buy a cam for my daughter.

and i got my first camera with my life savings and my dad just bought me dry cabinet to store it ..
    Last edited by xjosephtbr; 28th November 2014 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    You are asking for a smack left right center?
    This is newbies corner, not Kopitiam. Be helpful.
    Joking la.

TS, ask her what type of system she want n why. Then u let us know then we can propose lo.
    D800E / Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 / 150-600 Tamron

Hi bro ,

For starters , TS = thread starter.

I won't go into camera recommendations here as the friends here will be most helpful but just 2 reminders

1. Do consider a dry cabinet for the camera to protect it from fungus etc. Storing the camera is an often forgotten important step to consider. A 30 liters should do.

2. When buying pre-owned, do get a friend along who knows how to check. Especially when u are new.

Canon 1200D cheap cam? Heck it can achieve almost everything as with a Canon 1D, nothing is cheap, perhaps the receiving end's mindset and skill is. I've seen people with L lenses and high end system taking photos with angles and standard of a compact! Just tell me what a 1200D is lacking to justify it's cheap and inadequate for your daughter

Get the Olympus EM10, currently on offer at Sitex. Come with 45mm lens free gift

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2580275&type=1

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindevil View Post
    So i pretty much a complete noob in camera since the day i got my first digital camera. Well till now, i still using only my phone and a cheap sony camera to take picture (last night i found out that this camera is a type call compact).

actually last evening, my daughter, 15 this year, come up to me and asked if i can buy her a camera, since she started developing interest in photography( went for those 3 or days workshop, go out take some pictures and such). She is asking for a Canon EOS 1200D. she dont even know the price clearly, obviously thinking that i should give up one month saving because she done well in exam. Anyway, i didnt agree. i try looking online and in the forum, realised it can cost anywhere between 600-800, depending on the lens.

Anyway, as i know peanuts about camera, i tried to do some search online. I do know that it is a DSLR, entry level, and consider cheap among DSLR. Further digging pop up 2 terms that seems to be hybirds and crossbreeds of DSLR and compact:
    CSC, to me its something like a compact with extra lens
    Bridge, to me its something like a smaller DSLR without extra lens
    i seriously dont know how true is my understanding, but generally, except on rare case, DSLR>> hybirds>>compact

The thing about my daughter is, i know her characteristics. she started an online shop and closed it 6 months after that. she tried to join me for mountaineering but gave up after 4 hikes. she also learned ballet and played badminton for her primary school, but she isnt doing any of them anymore.

so i wonder if it is even worth buying her an 800 dollars camera just for her to play for 6 months. the design of CSC seems to caught me because it seems possible for ordinary usage.

so any recommendation?
    Get 2nd hand for her, whatever model it is

Free lens! Can't be bad!

Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post
    Get the Olympus EM10, currently on offer at Sitex. Come with 45mm lens free gift

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2580275&type=1
    Sean

For a beginner like myself, entry level DSLR like 1100D(which i am using) is good enough.

can check marketplace got several good deals on second hand entry level dslr like 5xxD or 6XXD series with lens going for about 500-600 which seems pretty decent.

just my 2 cents sharing.
    View my shots @ https://www.flickr.com/photos/zcapture/ and drop me some comments!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12