Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 81 to 100 of 100

Thread: Your camera 6 megapixels ONLY ah?

  1. #81
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default Re: Your camera 6 megapixels ONLY ah?

    Thanks all. The kit lens is the free Canon EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6. You can also get it cheap in B&S for around $80. Its built for EF-S mount on 1.6 bodies. I am sure the Nikon's kit lens is as good if not better too.

    Its possible to get good pics from the kit lens.

  2. #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default Re: Your camera 6 megapixels ONLY ah?

    Quote Originally Posted by scanner
    Err image sensor? Correct me if I'm wrong, thought it should be the sensitivity of the sensor (how much details the sensor can caputred), the dynamic range,noise level and etc....
    Try comparing 1Ds MkII and 20D or 5MP Digital Back vs 1DsMkII

    The larger the sensor size, the more details is capture. Right? Not just the sensitivity of the sensor.

    There is a certain limit to what a P&S 8MP camera vs a 6MP DSLR.

    Another is the lens a DSLR is using as well compare to a P&S.

    Actually image size is one of the factor only.

    If an 8MP P&S is better in terms of MP, I guess all commercial photographers would have save plenty of $$$$. No need to purchase 22MP digital backs.

  3. #83

    Default Re: Your camera 6 megapixels ONLY ah?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    Try comparing 1Ds MkII and 20D or 5MP Digital Back vs 1DsMkII

    The larger the sensor size, the more details is capture. Right? Not just the sensitivity of the sensor.

    There is a certain limit to what a P&S 8MP camera vs a 6MP DSLR.

    Another is the lens a DSLR is using as well compare to a P&S.

    Actually image size is one of the factor only.

    If an 8MP P&S is better in terms of MP, I guess all commercial photographers would have save plenty of $$$$. No need to purchase 22MP digital backs.
    Ok, I see your point.
    However, don't you agreed that the sensitivity of the sensor is another important factor as well? A 2MP DSLR image still perform better than a P&S 8MP right?

    Anyway, the most important thing is whether the owner is happy with what he/she have and whether the image offered could fit the bills. There is never ending to technology chase.

  4. #84
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default Re: Your camera 6 megapixels ONLY ah?

    Quote Originally Posted by scanner
    Ok, I see your point.
    However, don't you agreed that the sensitivity of the sensor is another important factor as well? A 2MP DSLR image still perform better than a P&S 8MP right?

    Anyway, the most important thing is whether the owner is happy with what he/she have and whether the image offered could fit the bills. There is never ending to technology chase.
    You are right on the sensitivity. Would agree with you.

    No doubt about it that sensitivity is one of the factors. Aiya, infact there is plenty of other factors. Cannot finish one comparing especially when it's all about IT Technology.....haiz!

    It will go on and on and on.........and on and on......hahaha!

    Going to do some shooting now!

  5. #85
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,922

    Default Re: Your camera 6 megapixels ONLY ah?

    Ditto...

  6. #86
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: Your camera 6 megapixels ONLY ah?

    Quote Originally Posted by eow
    not sure abt the old dslr will lose out to a newer P&s or vice versa..
    the only apparent advantages that the dslr had over the pns is the usabiity of the iso and the availability of wide selection of lenses.

    not all pns are the same ..technology really play a part imo
    the next coming pns from fujifilm with it usuable high iso and manual control function will be a force
    to reckon with..{f10 simply not my cup of tea expensive xd card and lack of control }

    and pls prove me wrong...and post some of yr best pics taken with kit lens
    to show any old dslr is better than a pns
    Not only the usability, the photosite's sizes, the dynamic range blah (scroll up and read my previous reply).

    Correct! If we're comparing PnS, it's definitely comparable since they're all apples. Even though the F10 has high ISO and manual control, they'll still lose out in image quality to a DSLR. D1, D30, etc.

    I'll try to get hold on a D1H and take some images with a 18-70 soon.

  7. #87

    Default Re: Your camera 6 megapixels ONLY ah?

    Quote Originally Posted by scanner
    Ok, I see your point.
    However, don't you agreed that the sensitivity of the sensor is another important factor as well? A 2MP DSLR image still perform better than a P&S 8MP right?

    Anyway, the most important thing is whether the owner is happy with what he/she have and whether the image offered could fit the bills. There is never ending to technology chase.
    this is where I get confused

    Sensitivity is related to the pixel size, correct? But it's inversely related to pixel density which captures the true resolution of the the photo,

    So a 2MP DSLR can have better DR then a 8MP P&S, but does it out-resolve the P&S?

    Also, will a 1MP P&S have better DR than 12MP DSLR (ie D2X) assuming the former does have larger pixel size?

    Am I missing something here?
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  8. #88

    Default Re: Your camera 6 megapixels ONLY ah?

    Haha..

    Lighten up everyone...
    This thread is meant to be a joke. Not for serious discussions.
    Have a kopi on me, I make.




    .

  9. #89

    Default Re: Your camera 6 megapixels ONLY ah?

    Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Haha..

    Lighten up everyone...
    This thread is meant to be a joke. Not for serious discussions.
    Have a kopi on me, I make.




    .
    expresso ?
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  10. #90

    Default Re: Your camera 6 megapixels ONLY ah?

    Quote Originally Posted by CYRN
    expresso ?
    Finished already.
    Only bought 1 pack from Italy. U too late..

  11. #91
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NTU and Wdls
    Posts
    2,622

    Default Re: Your camera 6 megapixels ONLY ah?

    I know image sensor counts. But i also know the limitations of 2MP of pixels. Up till about 4 + years ago, it stood the absolute truth that the speed of the processor matters. then AMD came along and introduced another truth. These "absolute truths" will change as technology improves.

    I really really don't think that 2MP pixels can output that much details as compared to a current age 7mp image. As far as I know, the cmos/ccd technology at that time was sorta limited to the higher end CCD/CMOS being able to distinguish different blades of grass and the lower ones giving you a green mush. That was the difference 4 years ago between highend and lowend..
    Methinks a D70S will definitely thrash a D1H.
    Also, methinks that a pro body from 4 years ago CAN be compared to a newly released 6mp or 7mp PnS and lose.

    I, being a tech person, don't follow urban myths of all dSLR being 100% better than PnS. At least, not a 4yrold dSLR vs a current PnS.
    Tech wise - the absolute cheapest CPU commonly available on market now is faster than the absolute top of the line commonly available CPU 4 years ago. and at less than 2% of the cost. I would say only a non tech person does not recognise the advancement of tech.

    Hmmm so does anyone have a 1DH? would u mind if we do a comparison with a 7mp point n shoot (i can get hold of a panasonic FX8 immediately) @ ISO 100, similarly framed images? purely comparing image detail + quality and 8 or 12R print out. I'd pay for the cost of print out etc (i hope not too much).

    splutter => Mars exploration camera costs a million to build? heh I'm sure you know that NASA were the ones who got charged $1k usd for a simple screw, $50k for a normal phillips screwdriver ya. the 1 million cost is like hmmmmmmm. LOL
    Last edited by unseen; 22nd August 2005 at 09:18 AM.

  12. #92
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: Your camera 6 megapixels ONLY ah?

    Quote Originally Posted by unseen
    Methinks a D70S will definitely thrash a D1H.
    MUAHAHAHAHAH... You remind me of the part where digital life mentioned D70 would outperform a D2X.

  13. #93
    Senior Member jnet6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    not here often anymore
    Posts
    8,169

    Default Re: Your camera 6 megapixels ONLY ah?

    Quote Originally Posted by unseen
    I really really don't think that 2MP pixels can output that much details as compared to a current age 7mp image. As far as I know, the cmos/ccd technology at that time was sorta limited to the higher end CCD/CMOS being able to distinguish different blades of grass and the lower ones giving you a green mush. That was the difference 4 years ago between highend and lowend..
    Methinks a D70S will definitely thrash a D1H.
    Also, methinks that a pro body from 4 years ago CAN be compared to a newly released 6mp or 7mp PnS and lose.

    I, being a tech person, don't follow urban myths of all dSLR being 100% better than PnS. At least, not a 4yrold dSLR vs a current PnS.
    Tech wise - the absolute cheapest CPU commonly available on market now is faster than the absolute top of the line commonly available CPU 4 years ago. and at less than 2% of the cost. I would say only a non tech person does not recognise the advancement of tech.

    Hmmm so does anyone have a 1DH? would u mind if we do a comparison with a 7mp point n shoot (i can get hold of a panasonic FX8 immediately) @ ISO 100, similarly framed images? purely comparing image detail + quality and 8 or 12R print out. I'd pay for the cost of print out etc (i hope not too much).

    splutter => Mars exploration camera costs a million to build? heh I'm sure you know that NASA were the ones who got charged $1k usd for a simple screw, $50k for a normal phillips screwdriver ya. the 1 million cost is like hmmmmmmm. LOL

    __________________________________________________ __________________

    ESPN
    scanner


    Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Haha..

    Lighten up everyone...
    This thread is meant to be a joke. Not for serious discussions.
    Have a kopi on me, I make.
    Is already goin quite far... so need someone to "stop".

  14. #94

    Default Re: Your camera 6 megapixels ONLY ah?

    Quote Originally Posted by CYRN
    this is where I get confused

    Sensitivity is related to the pixel size, correct? But it's inversely related to pixel density which captures the true resolution of the the photo,

    So a 2MP DSLR can have better DR then a 8MP P&S, but does it out-resolve the P&S?

    Also, will a 1MP P&S have better DR than 12MP DSLR (ie D2X) assuming the former does have larger pixel size?

    Am I missing something here?

    not necessarily true.
    a sensor with 2 million photosites may not totally occupy the whole surface area. There may be some gaps in between each sites. It depends on how the sensor is designed & manufactured.

  15. #95

    Default Re: Your camera 6 megapixels ONLY ah?

    Dude

    People who make such remarks normally don't know what to ask. So just to look smart they ask such qs or make such remarks. So don't worry. If your cam does the job for u, nothing else matter rite??

  16. #96
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NTU and Wdls
    Posts
    2,622

    Default Re: Your camera 6 megapixels ONLY ah?

    hee anyway i wun say i know anything..
    it's all a series of methinks.. I'd really like someone to disprove it though..

    i'm comparing a 4 yr gap in tech. can anyone here back up what they say about d1h > new PnS image qualitywise? with hard evidence? I'd like to be proved wrong. I'm using a dSLR too because i feel the limitations of a PnS, but I've nvr had experience with a OLD (4 years or more) dSLR. I stress again, not against current crop of cameras.

    Instead of laughing at me.. can someone back up their bag of air? Otherwise it's just like the emperor's new clothes. No one can see anything, but no one dares to admit it for fear of being called a fool. Right now I'm gonna be the fool pointing it out. Can anyone prove that I'm actually a fool (I would love to be proved wrong)? Or are you all just blind sheep following and hiding "common knowledge"?
    Last edited by unseen; 22nd August 2005 at 01:47 PM.

  17. #97
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: Your camera 6 megapixels ONLY ah?

    Quote Originally Posted by unseen
    hee anyway i wun say i know anything..
    it's all a series of methinks.. I'd really like someone to disprove it though..
    Yep yep. Methinks the same way too.

    Quote Originally Posted by unseen
    i'm comparing a 4 yr gap in tech. can anyone here back up what they say about d2h > new PnS image qualitywise? with hard evidence? I'd like to be proved wrong. I'm using a dSLR too because i feel the limitations of a PnS, but I've nvr had experience with a OLD (4 years or more) dSLR.
    Shucks. I don't have a D2H

    Quote Originally Posted by unseen
    Instead of laughing at me.. can someone back up their bag of air? Otherwise it's just like the emperor's new clothes. No one can see anything, but no one dares to admit it for fear of being called a fool. Right now I'm gonna be the fool pointing it out. Can anyone prove that I'm actually a fool (I would love to be proved wrong)? Or are you all just blind sheep following and hiding "common knowledge"?
    Ok ok, 7mp PnS will win a D2H in image quality CoolPix 7900 vs D2H = CoolPix 7900 win



    Ady6: Yep... I guess the thread starter's feeling a bit bugged over these useless comparisons I also kena before, why 6, not 8. I just try to avoid the topic because it goes nowhere.

  18. #98
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NTU and Wdls
    Posts
    2,622

    Default Re: Your camera 6 megapixels ONLY ah?

    hee sorry, D1H not D2H.. paiseh..
    I'm nt out to win, I'm out for the truth..

  19. #99
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,464

    Default Re: Your camera 6 megapixels ONLY ah?

    Quote Originally Posted by synapseman
    I want to get a DSLR. Am eyeing a particular model. Someone asks me (and I have no doubt more people will ask in the future), "Why you want to buy 6 megapixels? Nowadays got 8 megapixels already what...."

    Is there a convenient/easy way to explain the differences between a DSLR and a compact/prosumer camera? I'm kinda tired having to explain the concept of sensor sizes to laypeople every time they ask me the same question (which usually follows "your camera how many megapixels?").

    What would you do/say?
    u have an easier problem than mine.....

    sometimes pple see my camera, and ask "how come ur camera so weird one.... no screen behind? no LCD screen how to take picture?!??"

    i've been asked to demonstrate at airport customs that this black box i have is really a camera and not an improvised explosive device :P simply cos there's no LCD screen behind to "prove" it's a camera.....

    amazing...
    Last edited by Red Dawn; 22nd August 2005 at 03:01 PM.
    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

  20. #100
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,922

    Default Re: Your camera 6 megapixels ONLY ah?

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dawn
    u have an easier problem than mine.....

    sometimes pple see my camera, and ask "how come ur camera so weird one.... no screen behind? no LCD screen how to take picture?!??"

    i've been asked to demonstrate at airport customs that this black box i have is really a camera and not an improvised explosive device :P simply cos there's no LCD screen behind to "prove" it's a camera.....

    amazing...
    Hehe, thats a good one.

    My last trip to Australia, the customs officer asked me why I brought films for my digital camera because I asked whether the X-ray machine is film-safe. He assumed that I had a digital camera with me and I told them I brought a film camera. Suddenly, two officers came to 'assist' him and verified, certified, approved and chopped it was a real camera. Film is dead. I think.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •