Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your camera 6 megapixels ONLY ah?

Default Re: Your camera 6 megapixels ONLY ah?

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman
    I want to get a DSLR. Am eyeing a particular model. Someone asks me (and I have no doubt more people will ask in the future), "Why you want to buy 6 megapixels? Nowadays got 8 megapixels already what...."

Is there a convenient/easy way to explain the differences between a DSLR and a compact/prosumer camera? I'm kinda tired having to explain the concept of sensor sizes to laypeople every time they ask me the same question (which usually follows "your camera how many megapixels?").

What would you do/say?
    I suggest you read Ken Rockwell's article on the Megapixel Myth. Not too long ago, there was a Canon D30 having only 3Mp and it still beats those 8Mp digicams hollow.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

Slightly OT: These days I usually tell people that yah, my camera/tripod/lense sucks yours is much better and move on. I really find it quite difficult to understand why people, even strangers, feel the need to give unsolicited comments on equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by av98m
    Slightly OT: These days I usually tell people that yah, my camera/tripod/lense sucks yours is much better and move on. I really find it quite difficult to understand why people, even strangers, feel the need to give unsolicited comments on equipment.
    Personal inadequacy and low self esteem ?

When people say things like that to me, i just smile and reply, "sure, of course, you are better. let's take everything away, what are you now? ". If they don't even have the humanity to stop and furrow their brow in deep thought, they're not worth anyone's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrash
    just smile....and choose to educate if you think they are willing to learn the difference bet DSLR 6mp vs digicam 8mp etc. Otherwise don't bother.
    so a 4mp DSLR sensor is superior than a digicam 4mp sensor? Would you mind to enlighten me?

Quote Originally Posted by LENS
    so a 4mp DSLR sensor is superior than a digicam 4mp sensor? Would you mind to enlighten me?
    if i'm not wrong it's because the 4mp dslr sensor is physically larger than the one found in a p&s digicam. at the same resolution, the photosites (correct term?) on the digicam's sensor will be much smaller compared to the ones on the dslr, and the amount of light that can be detected by the photosites is correspondingly less. the signals will therefore have to be amplified to a greater extent to compensate for this, and this will introduce more noise to the photo compared to the dslr.

hopefully i recall correctly.

Deregistered

My 2 megapixels pictures are published. So? It's how you use those pixels, and what you create.

Quote Originally Posted by Azure
    My 2 megapixels pictures are published. So? It's how you use those pixels, and what you create.
    wah...congrats! show show!

Some prosumer cameras are 8 megapixel machines. So are some DSLRs. Most people are inclined to ask, "What's the difference?"

Well, both get the job done, but the DSLR does it better. A DSLR is, in general, faster, more responsive, and has better image quality.

Some might find it hard to understand the issue of sensor size, but if you draw it out for them, they'll probably understand. First, draw a large rectangle to represent a film negative. Tell them that all information in a scene is captured onto this rectangle/ film negative. Then draw a much smaller rectangle and explain that it represents the sensor of a small P&S digicam, and mention that it works in the same way as a film negative by capturing information.

Now if we were to print out all this information captured onto two pieces of paper of equal size, it's obvious that you'll need to enlarge the digicam picture a lot more than you would need to do for a film negative. Enlargements lead to loss of quality.

The size of a DSLR sensor is larger than that of a small P&S but still smaller than a film negative. Hence, the quality of an image from a DSLR would be better than a P&S but poorer than film.

Then there's the issue of ISO performance, but we probably don't have to dive into that.

Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    Some might find it hard to understand the issue of sensor size, but if you draw it out for them, they'll probably understand. First, draw a large rectangle to represent a film negative. Tell them that all information in a scene is captured onto this rectangle/ film negative. Then draw a much smaller rectangle and explain that it represents the sensor of a small P&S digicam, and mention that it works in the same way as a film negative by capturing information.

Now if we were to print out all this information captured onto two pieces of paper of equal size, it's obvious that you'll need to enlarge the digicam picture a lot more than you would need to do for a film negative. Enlargements lead to loss of quality.

The size of a DSLR sensor is larger than that of a small P&S but still smaller than a film negative. Hence, the quality of an image from a DSLR would be better than a P&S but poorer than film.

Then there's the issue of ISO performance, but we probably don't have to dive into that.
    I think your explanation is misconstrued. It seems like you are trying to explain why more megapixels is better than less. Also, does it mean that a 1Ds MkII is worse than a film SLR?

Quote Originally Posted by Newman
    I think your explanation is misconstrued. It seems like you are trying to explain why more megapixels is better than less. Also, does it mean that a 1Ds MkII is worse than a film SLR?
    Maybe I wasn't clear, but all I'm trying to say is that a bigger sensor is better than a small one.

If I remember correctly, a 1Ds MKII is a full-frame camera. The sensor is of the same size as a film negative. But here is where megapixel count seems to come in. There's no current calculation to measure how many megapixels it would take for a full-frame DSLR to outresolve film, but some others out there still feel that digital will need to go further before it can reach the quality of film.

Again, just my thoughts. Some feel that the highest-end professional DSLRs produce images that already rival that of film cameras, or have already exceeded that. It's a debate that is very old...and heated.

Personally, I use, and have only ever used digital, and will probably continue to do so for the rest the life of my hobby. I don't wish to spend money on consumables, shoot a lot, and want instant results. Digital is just the thing for me to get into.

Quote Originally Posted by LENS
    lol

start by looking at the physical size of the sensors themselves. look at which one is larger. and by how much.

I think the 4/3 fans will dislike you for saying that.

They did not like it either when I said some other things.

They thought I was anti-Oly. Actually I like Oly a lot.
    But NOT the e-300, which is humongous, very bulky for a 4/3.
    I think the correct words when I look at it is : no style.
    Maitani had lots of style when he created the OM1 and the XA.
    The e300 looks like a plain loaf of bread.

Anyway in a few weeks when the Canon full frame less costly digicam is revealed that will end the issue.

Other brands will follow soon with full frame digicams of their own soon.
    NO NEED TO :

BUY ANOTHER SET OF LENSES

which is the ONLY reason why some marketers try to make you go into another system; call it 5/4 /8/7/ 2/3 /1/2 whatever.....

millions of photographers buying entire new sets of lenses means billions of $$$$$$$.

APS tried that too. And deserved to FAIL miserably.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 19th August 2005 at 10:01 PM.

To be honest, I know nothing about the 4/3 system...is this a better system than the others on the market?

When I was shopping for the DSLR in the past, I did have a look at the E-300, and it was attractive because of the price and because of the two kit lenses that came with it, which would have covered a good range for me. Unfortunately I didn't like the image quality when it came to high-ISO performance. Looking at it, I knew this wasn't one of those cameras I could take indoors, bump the ISO to 1600 and fire away without worrying about the noise.

Other than that, it's a really well-priced camera. The style, as you mentioned, might leave something to be desired. Personally, I didn't mind the looks of it. It looked solidly built on top of that...like it could take a good beating and still survive, unlike say...the 350D.

Hi,

As for the 6mp vs bigger mp.

Just how big do you want to print the photo's ?

A good photographer with a 6mp camera can "produce" better photo's than a bad photographer with an 8mp camera.

One reason being is that the good photographer will frame the shot well, whereas the bad photographer can't frame
    and looses the extra megapixels by having to crop the picture for a similar result.

Cheers
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

A D1H with only 2.7MP can print upto 12r size......
    so what does 6MP got to do when u have at least 2MP and above???

a 4MP will be just nice as, file size easier to manage n not overkill yr storage card.
    save $$ buy other things.

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman
    I want to get a DSLR. Am eyeing a particular model. Someone asks me (and I have no doubt more people will ask in the future), "Why you want to buy 6 megapixels? Nowadays got 8 megapixels already what...."

Is there a convenient/easy way to explain the differences between a DSLR and a compact/prosumer camera? I'm kinda tired having to explain the concept of sensor sizes to laypeople every time they ask me the same question (which usually follows "your camera how many megapixels?").

What would you do/say?
    My personal suggestion - Don't.

First of all, people who compare cameras based on Megapixel count are prolly up to their necks in the megapixel counting game. They wun noe the difference between a CCD chip and a CMOS chip. Much less explaining the principle of interpolation and the density of the chip and other technical stuff.

You can:
    - Show them the price tag for the body only

OR

- Show them your works which would be impossible for a fully-automatic, 8MP camera with absolutely zero control over any functions to replicate your results.

I have relatives who act smart and shows off their Ixus (the earlier one, 3.2MP). When my cousin asked me in a condescending tone after I'd examined the camera what camera I own, I coolly said.

"Nah... My camera's nothing. Just a normal professional range SLR. Cheapest one. The body alone costs $1700. My lenses... erm... let me count... Yah, I think I'd spent $3K on lenses and accessories. Hey u free next week? You can come over and I'll show u some pictures I took. Wun say its very good. Quite lousy actually."

It shut them up. And in case u're wondering, they din pop over to look at my pictures.

There are more den 1 way to skin a chicken. In this case, its just a matter of showing them who's camera's bigger.

Maybe next year I'll get my cam with my 17-40L and see if they'll show off their Ixus or not.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by dominator
    there was once i was trying to help a group of friends take picture during tour, took out my compact nikon 2mp camera.

lady friend ask "how many mp?"
    me "2mp, why?"
    lady friend "alamak, like that better use my 4mp to take, later your one not nice!"

me ""
    compare a 2MP with full manual controls in the hands of a photographer and a 4MP dummy idiot-proof, fully-automatic camera in the hands of a complete noob.

Let's slug it out.

Quote Originally Posted by scud
    hmmm.. if i buy 1D, then am i downgrading from 10D?
    Yah loh... 1D only 4MP! 10D better!

Hey! My camera even better! Can take video one! Yours one cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    My personal suggestion - Don't.

First of all, people who compare cameras based on Megapixel count are prolly up to their necks in the megapixel counting game. They wun noe the difference between a CCD chip and a CMOS chip. Much less explaining the principle of interpolation and the density of the chip and other technical stuff.

You can:
    - Show them the price tag for the body only

OR

- Show them your works which would be impossible for a fully-automatic, 8MP camera with absolutely zero control over any functions to replicate your results.

I have relatives who act smart and shows off their Ixus (the earlier one, 3.2MP). When my cousin asked me in a condescending tone after I'd examined the camera what camera I own, I coolly said.

"Nah... My camera's nothing. Just a normal professional range SLR. Cheapest one. The body alone costs $1700. My lenses... erm... let me count... Yah, I think I'd spent $3K on lenses and accessories. Hey u free next week? You can come over and I'll show u some pictures I took. Wun say its very good. Quite lousy actually."

It shut them up. And in case u're wondering, they din pop over to look at my pictures.

There are more den 1 way to skin a chicken. In this case, its just a matter of showing them who's camera's bigger.

Maybe next year I'll get my cam with my 17-40L and see if they'll show off their Ixus or not.
    You sure know how to work magic with sarcasm...a bit nasty but good enough for this purpose. Then again, it is "eye for an eye" payback for the snobbish behavior.

It really depends whether the person asking is genuine in his query or just out to show off the little knowledge he has.

somebody said the exact words to me when i told him about my 300D.. knowing that he knows nuts about cameras, i just smiled to him and said, "yeah..."
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast