Thread: Steam oven vs convention microwave/oven

Default Steam oven vs convention microwave/oven

hi all friends !

wish to check if steam oven is good ? what is the good and bad ? did anyone use a steam oven ? wanna share his/her experience ? thanks !!

Default Re: Steam oven vs convention microwave/oven

Steam oven I tot is good for steaming only....example fish, prawn, bun etc.......as for microvawe...you can heat, bake and roast

Was thinking of putting a steam oven together with a conventional one when I was renovating a new apartment 2 years back. But too bad no space (no $$ too) and I think you can simulate a steam oven with a big wok filled with a little water + cover.

So finally didn't get one. I use the conventional oven more than anything to do with steaming that requires a dedicated oven so didn't go with it.

But if you got big house and plenty of money to spend, why not? There are some nice german ones out there.
    Leicanaut & Nikonaut @ http://nangka.org/events

Found some not so good news on microwave:

Today Tonight information

Microwaving vegetables
    Broadcast Date: June 22, 2005

Putting vegetables to the test

Broccoli
    Tests showed that microwaving fresh broccoli for five minutes destroyed almost all of the three key antioxidants - up to 94 per cent. Boiling killed off two-thirds, while steaming broccoli had no loss of some antioxidants and no more than 11 per cent for others.

Raw broccoli contains 34 per cent vitamin C which dropped to 26 per cent when steamed and 23 per cent when boiled. When microwaved, broccoli retained most of the vitamin C and came out best.

Potatoes
    Raw potato contains 10 per cent vitamin C. Steaming lost just 1 per cent, boiling and baking left 6 per cent but microwaving killed virtually all of the vitamin C.

Carrots
    Carrots are one of the highest sources of vitamin A which we need for good healthy skin and eyesight. Raw carrot will give you 4.5 per cent beta carotene, which converts to vitamin A in the body. With steaming it plummets to 2.4 per cent but boiling and microwaving both reduced it to 1.9 per cent.

benign u too health conscious liao...

but den again... so if i wanna have antioxidant, i steam it, if i wan vitamin C i microwave it... is that right?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Get a water oven. Sharp recently released Helsio, a water oven that toasts, grills, bakes, and roasts just like a normal oven but with water. It rocks!

benign u too health conscious liao...

but den again... so if i wanna have antioxidant, i steam it, if i wan vitamin C i microwave it... is that right?

In short, I think steam veges is betta lor. Microwave is more suited if you want increased protein in meat. Here is a some info I found.

"Another misconception about microwave cooking is that it takes all the goodness out of the food. Today Tonight put this theory to the test on legs of lamb. Our results showed in a microwave the protein level increased 14 per cent from raw but not as much as in the oven, 22 per cent increase, and 21 per cent for the frying pan."

At least we know the facts and stay healthier in the long run.

hmm so those on low protein diets better dun eat microwave cooked food lah...

vice versa... those body builders please buy a microwave oven now...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.