Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UV & CPL filter

Default UV & CPL filter

Between Marumi and Tokina,which is a better choice?

Default Re: UV & CPL filter

B+W .

Marumi Exus for me.
    Last edited by xjosephtbr; 22nd November 2014 at 11:10 PM.

I no longer use UV filters, but if I had to choose, I'd skip Tokina.

For circular polarizers, get the best you can afford. The difference in quality between the best and the worst is stark.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

UV can use Tokina, for CPL you should be prepared to invest as cheap ones are terrible.
    UV I use Zeiss, CPL use Hoya, Haze B+W so far quality excellent

Best for what? Please share a few more of your ideas. Also, it helps to define your budget.
    For the time being please have a look at this sticky thread: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803029
    EOS

I would just buy Haida filters if I really want to save money
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Best for what? Please share a few more of your ideas. Also, it helps to define your budget.
    For the time being please have a look at this sticky thread: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803029
    Really need to update that thread now that haida is in the picture... really impressive

Bro, how does Haida compare to the big players like Hoya, Kenko and B+W?

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Really need to update that thread now that haida is in the picture... really impressive
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by SeAnCoLd View Post
    My first choice is always B+W followed by Haida. I have stopped buying Hoya and Kenko years ago

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SeAnCoLd View Post
    Certain brands are good for certain types of filters actually. IMHO, For ND so far haida is one of the best, better than b+w and Lee. Especially their 10 stop filter is unmatched in my opinion. For uv and protection filters, i go for kenko zeta for good value. For CPL, i find b+w too warm for my taste. I use both a haida and a kenko pro1d

Certain brands are good for certain types of filters actually. IMHO, For ND so far haida is one of the best, better than b+w and Lee. Especially their 10 stop filter is unmatched in my opinion. For uv and protection filters, i go for kenko zeta for good value. For CPL, i find b+w too warm for my taste. I use both a haida and a kenko pro1d
    I agreed, I hope haida have can make 4 stops ND filter.

For haida circular polarizers theres sound when you shake them, seems loose. is this normal or is mine faulty

Quote Originally Posted by xjosephtbr View Post
    For haida circular polarizers theres sound when you shake them, seems loose. is this normal or is mine faulty
    Both of mine have no sound, but don't think that would be any issue or it will affect the image quality.

I see. Thanks!

Sean

Probably get flamed for this but I'll ask anyway =)

The advice is to get the best I can afford, but for a first time buyer, that is also quite open ended. I just recently bought a EM10, so would like some suggestions on which UV filter to get. I'm getting it more for additional lens protection so obviously don't want a cheapie filter to degrade photo quality.

If my budget was $30-$50 for a 46mm filter (for the 25mm f1.8 lens), is this a reasonable budget? What would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted100 View Post
    This is newbies corner. Anybody flaming you will be grilled in return. Mods bbq

The advice is to get the best I can afford, but for a first time buyer, that is also quite open ended. I just recently bought a EM10, so would like some suggestions on which UV filter to get. I'm getting it more for additional lens protection so obviously don't want a cheapie filter to degrade photo quality.
    If my budget was $30-$50 for a 46mm filter (for the 25mm f1.8 lens), is this a reasonable budget? What would you recommend?
    Personally, I would rather use a lens hood for protection. Serves much better than any filter. But I started with UV filter as well before I came to that conclusion.
    For your purpose get a multi-coated filter, like Hoya Pro series, Kenko Zeta etc. With your budget you can even get a B+W UV filter (which is a high end brand). Do remember to remove it when using other filters (ND, CPL) to avoid that filters get stuck together.
    EOS

Do remove the UV filter when using with other filter, stacking can cause mechanical vignetting (corner blackening) even with the slimmest profile filter, especially on ultra wide angle lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by xjosephtbr View Post
    There's 2 slits on the rear side (lens facing side) of the CPL, this is the retaining ring that holds the glass inside the barrel, you can try to tighten by using fingernail clockwise. Probably this is the cause. Once tighten it should be fine.

Blog Entries

Actually for your filter size, it is more of what is available out there. Something like a kenko or hoya pro1d will work well. And you do not need uv for digital cameras, just get a protector filter will do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast