Thread: Anyone shot in Marriott Grand Ballroom before?

Default Anyone shot in Marriott Grand Ballroom before?

I'm attending an even at the Marriott Hotel Grand Ballroom next week, and I wish to take some photos. Just wondering if anyone here has any experience shooting there before? What's the lighting like?

What's the minimum ISO that I can expect to use? Should I bring a speedlight or two? Any tripod needed?

Thanks in advance

(Also, I may want to bring along a medium format film camera. Would Portra 4oo be good enough, or would I need 800?)

Default Re: Anyone shot in Marriott Grand Ballroom before?

The stuffs you will bring heavily depends on what kind of event (fast paced or slow paced) and what role will you be when you attend the event (as in, Guest? or offficial photographer etc..)
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Ong View Post

(Also, I may want to bring along a medium format film camera. Would Portra 4oo be good enough, or would I need 800?)

Is medium format really necessary? It will slow you down but to answer your question, ISO800 will give you extra speed. Or else bring both and load when you see the lighting situation for the event.

I have shot many wedding events at their grand ballroom in the past.
    do you know the lighting inside the ballroom is adjustable?
    so it depends on what activities are they having at the very moment, how can we tell you a particular setting to use?

you are shooting an event right? how to use a tripod? even you can make your camera very steady, how do you ensure the people keep still and pose for you?

shooting event with medium format camera? even you are shooting on 645 format, you only have 15/16 frames per roll, how many rolls you intent to shoot?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

I am curious in your thought process. If you are attending the even as a guest and not covering the event as you said that you "wish to take some photo". What event is it that required a tripod and also opportunity for a film medium format camera. When/in what circumstances would you use the tripod and the MF film camera.
    Last edited by ross; 24th November 2014 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Ong View Post
    I'm attending an even at the Marriott Hotel Grand Ballroom next week, and I wish to take some photos.
    Perhaps you might like to elaborate. Your rather general question has everyone confused. Haha.

What kind of event is it? Wedding? Conference? In what capacity are you attending the event? Guest? Father of the bride/groom? Conference attendee? Are you taking the photos purely as personal keepsakes? Etc.