Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Why bigger cams aren't always better

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    is this the ad where the traffic warden's face is covered by the face of a tiger on a child's balloon as he walks past with his mom?
    bingo!.... another is the baby trolley with a "adult face" using fuji e550!

Still waiting for a iso800 with bright lens digital compact

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    why wait? u can already take matt stuart-quality pics with available equipment. with the right level of skill, patience and optimism of course.

I'm not waiting for a iso800 camera to take 'matt stuart-quality pics'. More for low light indoor candid shoot.

Street photography that he do is another genre that I might explore with whatever camera I now had

haha interesting conversation. which brings to mind... since P&S not that good and the DSLRs tooo cumbersome... isn't this where the "pro-sumer" digis come in? like the canon powershots and the olympus 700s cams? haha
    unless these also considered P&S.

i think they give u quick p&S and the option to explore more with the manual functions. haha.. love my oly 750 =p

I always bring along my P&S camera with me whereever I go.
    I love my Contax T3!!!

Never bring ur Leica along? Looks better wad

Quote Originally Posted by cHiLiPaDi
    haha interesting conversation. which brings to mind... since P&S not that good and the DSLRs tooo cumbersome... isn't this where the "pro-sumer" digis come in? like the canon powershots and the olympus 700s cams? haha
    unless these also considered P&S.

i think they give u quick p&S and the option to explore more with the manual functions. haha.. love my oly 750 =p
    happy shooting with whatever gear you have

I believe the next 6.3MP DSLR that hits the market will be no bigger than the size of a match box.

Size matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    I believe the next 6.3MP DSLR that hits the market will be no bigger than the size of a match box.

Size matters.
    I dun believe those pro spec camera will be that small as a match box.
    The handling wise is a pain liao...they are meant to use by professionals not to be used by ladies gaffering their small cam and put inside their velvet handbags.
    Look at the Nikon latest SLR - F6, it is still quite big!

Quote Originally Posted by Sion

Size matters.
    Then how to mount the Nikkor lens to a DSLR with the size of the match box? The mount is bigger than the match box.
    Size matters too.

If small SLR is successful, then 10 years back, all manufacturer would make half-frame SLR camera liao lo...rite?
    Then those 500mm lens mounted on a 'matchbox-size' DSLR, looks damn funny rite?
    Those ppl in Nikon, Canon and Minolta have alot of brains working in their R&D department one la...u dun have to worry about that!

Well, I've outshot a friend's EOS 10D many times in terms of reaction, composition and clarity with my S5000Z.He mumbled lotsa stuff about flash bouncecard not working well or some other crap.Me, I'm just happy with my modded S5000 with just one Raydawn WA lens.I love my 10x zoom.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Prosumer cams provide the best balance for serious hobbyists who do not want to lug around heavy equipment,but yet possess a camera powerful and versatile enuff to do at 80% of what they want to do, outside the realm of photography as a job.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz
    Well, I've outshot a friend's EOS 10D many times in terms of reaction, composition and clarity with my S5000Z.He mumbled lotsa stuff about flash bouncecard not working well or some other crap.Me, I'm just happy with my modded S5000 with just one Raydawn WA lens.I love my 10x zoom.
    his just does not know how to use his tools whereas you have mastered the use of yours.

Default Re: Why bigger cams aren't always better

upping one of my fav threads....

it should also come as no surprise that good pics can also be taken with your camera phone these days, check out matthieu paley's pics taken with a SE 3mp phone cam.here

Haha, ya. A nearly 5 yr old thread.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

This is a good discussion worth showing again. Especially with more and more newbie joining.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

This actually is a stupid discussion. Of course, any cameras, given the right circumstance, can produce images that shine.

I am taking a contrarian view here. For most circumstances, better cameras (bigger sensor, bigger negative, bigger lens with better quality glass for light gathering etc) will take better pictures.

For the average photographer, a better camera can usually produce a better image. The very selected few gifted ones, give them anything, they will produce masterpieces. The few lucky ones, will produce masterpieces with a disposable camera.

An analogy. Why do we have to study, get a degree, and more post graduate degrees? Afterall, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were both college drop outs! The founder of Microsoft and the founder of Apple are the equivalent of the gifted photographers. They do not need really need the university training, or the Hassy with a D-back for the gifted photographer, to create something great. The lucky photographers, well they are the equivalent of the lottery winners. LUCK.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    This actually is a stupid discussion. Of course, any cameras, given the right circumstance, can produce images that shine.

I am taking a contrarian view here. For most circumstances, better cameras (bigger sensor, bigger negative, bigger lens with better quality glass for light gathering etc) will take better pictures.

For the average photographer, a better camera can usually produce a better image. The very selected few gifted ones, give them anything, they will produce masterpieces. The few lucky ones, will produce masterpieces with a disposable camera.

An analogy. Why do we have to study, get a degree, and more post graduate degrees? Afterall, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were both college drop outs! The founder of Microsoft and the founder of Apple are the equivalent of the gifted photographers. They do not need really need the university training, or the Hassy with a D-back for the gifted photographer, to create something great. The lucky photographers, well they are the equivalent of the lottery winners. LUCK.
    well, IMHO i think this discussion is useful because it makes us think about how we get a better image. rather than being overly concerned with upgrading to the latest most advanced camera, the time could be spent thinking more about being more creative and resourceful in getting the better image with the equipment that we have, which includes the more "modest" cameras. i agree that all things being equal, the better camera produces the better image. but i disagree that the route to better photography is necessarily getting better equipment all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    well, IMHO i think this discussion is useful because it makes us think about how we get a better image. rather than being overly concerned with upgrading to the latest most advanced camera, the time could be spent thinking more about being more creative and resourceful in getting the better image with the equipment that we have, which includes the more "modest" cameras. i agree that all things being equal, the better camera produces the better image. but i disagree that the route to better photography is necessarily getting better equipment all the time.
    The route to better photography is definately not "getting better equipment", but, any tom dick and harry, or in singapore ah beng and ah lien with a camera phone or a pns, can make it as a master, or even an average photographer.

The urge to buy buy buy to become a better photographer is flawed. Same as the group who give example of great photographers using pns as the sole reason not to buy or upgrade.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    The route to better photography is definately not "getting better equipment", but, any tom dick and harry, or in singapore ah beng and ah lien with a camera phone or a pns, can make it as a master, or even an average photographer.

The urge to buy buy buy to become a better photographer is flawed. Same as the group who give example of great photographers using pns as the sole reason not to buy or upgrade.
    WADR, pls read the thread title more closely; why bigger cams aren't always better (emphasis added). it does not say that bigger cams are "never" better than smaller cams. the examples of great photogs using pns is not the "sole" reason not to buy or upgrade, but it is meant to give some encouragement a) to ppl who are not blessed to own expensive, big camera gear, b) to newbies who fret about having a big/advanced enough camera before they can even go into photography. i agree with you that the urge to BBB (if it goes to extremes) to become a better photographer is flawed.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast