Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why bigger cams aren't always better

oh shucks i know a PSS ranking member who uses a F90x... hope it's not the same guy. cos i'll be very shocked...

why bigger cams are not always better?

the simple reason is that its too bloody big and bulky!!!

and it has been reiterated in many of the posts above that big cams not equal to better pictures.

regards
    my flickr account

simple and old saying, it's the photographer.
    a good photographer will have good pictures with any camera, no doubt a better camera will yield better results, but a photography idiot will have **** pictures out with any camera

Deregistered

Originally posted by Larry
    oh shucks i know a PSS ranking member who uses a F90x... hope it's not the same guy. cos i'll be very shocked...
    ....he's an old old one....
    Now have to clear up this mess. Sigh. My clean track record for 2003 pichia oreadi....

At least I can take solace in that a dinky CP4500 and a dunno-nutz-about-SLR sap like me to do better than the ole "masters".... kekeke

Are you referring to who I am thinking about? Afterall I did go to PSS too ...........

bigger cam is better coz
    (1) more ballast like the base of a big ship=>more stabilising effect
    (2)i'm talking about pro-spec SLR: for such, bigger=>less shutter lag=>easier to getaway with lower shutter speed.

from my experience, things like f100+grip, eos1+grip, f5, eos3+grip all give u advantage in lower getaway shutter speed compared to things like F80, eos30. if u can't feel the difference then too bad kekekekeke

examples given in the 1st post are good but end of the day such examples are just exceptions

I think there is no arguments about pro cameras being better but cheap PnS can do an incredibly good job too. IMHO, I think a good pro should know how to combine the use of both Pro range equipment together with PnS.

Being a journalistic photographer, I sometimes feel that my equipment is a bit too intimidating. I sometimes prefer to work with my Olympus 35mm Infinity. It is a compact with a fixed 35mm lens and is the model even before the Olympus mjuII. I love the lens sharpness and has no qualms about using it for professional assignments. It is the only camera I have that has travelled to many countries around the world, including Thailand, Shanghai, Xiamen, Los Angeles, Germany, Hainan Island, India, Malaysia, and blah blah blah....

I remember a friend of mine who when with me for a photoshoot laughing at me for using my PnS whereas he is using all his big gear. I tried explaining the fundamentals of vision in photography but it just couldn't get into his head. Guess what? When the slides are processed, and when he sees how many passable pictures I had per roll over what he has, it shut his mouth up. My colleagues laughed at him in the end saying things like "few thousand dollars equipment can't match to standards of a hundred dollar camera?" He was fuming mad that day...and by the way, I taught him photography, so I felt bad too because I did not do a good job as a teacher.

Andy Ho
    Some Picts Of Ubin Here R Taken With My Compact
    Last edited by Andy Ho; 30th May 2003 at 10:11 PM.

Wow Andy your Ubin shot blow me away.

Deregistered

Originally posted by lavenderlilz
    Are you referring to who I am thinking about? Afterall I did go to PSS too ...........
    Sigh. Today kena complaint from the client about him some more. Sianz. Apparently he raised his voice at my client... something NONE of my photogs do.
    Isn't easy for me to say to him. Son is my ex-student and mentee.

Originally posted by kn34
    Wow Andy your Ubin shot blow me away.
    Try not to OT here but I can't help not saying Thank You!!

Regards,
    Andy Ho

Great pictures, Andy, but need to clarify: not all the pics were done by your compact, right? Some of them look like (long) telephotos with very shaller DOF.

If it was a compact, which compact is it? i didn't realize a compact can take that kind of 'specialty' photos.

Again, great pictures. How much time did you spend on Ubin?

Well, I own a Canon S40 and a nikon F80..... I'll say both have their pros and cons.... But the bottom line is still the person behing the lens.....

You can give a cannon to a cow but it'll still be useless cos the cow wouldn't know how to use it.....

Deregistered

Originally posted by Kira
    You can give a cannon to a cow but it'll still be useless cos the cow wouldn't know how to use it.....
    Errrr..... fill it with milk? Cow tink cannon = extra large milk bottle!

Default Re: Why bigger cams aren't always better

[B]Terry Richardson
    Terry is one of the world's most popular (and infamous) fashion photographers. he's shot for celebs like Sharon Stone, the Spice Girls
    hmmm,
    think i heard from somewhere that he's using a Yashica T4 or a contax T2

Default Re: Re: Why bigger cams aren't always better

Originally posted by xmen1977
    hmmm,
    think i heard from somewhere that he's using a Yashica T4 or a contax T2
    he uses both...

time to revive this thread again i think... for those getting too caught up in the equipment chase, pls read the first/original thread.

Deregistered

Yea!

Upz for this thread...

Chase good pix, waste equipment not.

so anyone still shoot with a oly mju or simple PnS?

any pictures to show?

i was thinking to get a contax T3...wondering if its worth the price to get a high end flim p&s?

sometimes i find carry a big clumsy slr camera cumbersome..well..I will say depends on the situation and event..I would not want to end up being a photographer and miss out all the funs while every1 is enjoying...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrash
    so anyone still shoot with a oly mju or simple PnS?

any pictures to show?
    yes me! Oly mju + Contax T3

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast