Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why bigger cams aren't always better

Originally posted by Jed
    Jed strolls in and mumbles something about the Emperor's new clothes...
    Bluestrike strolls in... take a look and kick Jed out.......

Hmm.. actually I would say that most newbies might be intimitated by the big cameras that the pros are carrying, ( well, at least I was when i first join in for photoshoot outings )

After knowing the potentials of your camera, you'll know who to maximise the potential or rather the major advantage of your camera. For example, My Cp 4500 might not be able to take bird photography ( due to the manual ajusting of the CrystalVue Sharpshooter, By the time I get the correct focus the bird flew already! ) But the Macro shots taken by the Coolpix series still imerge as a winner among the other cams.

So a message to all newbies or all that are intimitated by the BIG cameras that the pros are carrying which might result in the reluctance or hesitation to join SEED or photoshoot. Not to worry, coz you are not alone, there will be someone( well, at least myself) who will be joining in the photoshoot with my small camera and still very proud of it's potential in its own area..

P/s: BIG welcome to all girls to SEED or photoshoot, i guarantee that you will not feel left out..

Originally posted by Violett
    P/s: BIG welcome to all girls to SEED or photoshoot, i guarantee that you will not feel left out..
    Violett, if u organize a girls' shoot out, I can be your PA

Originally posted by Bluestrike

Bluestrike strolls in... take a look and kick Jed out.......
    mylau strolls in...sees Blue kicking Jed...scared until face turns blue...and strolls out.....

Originally posted by tomshen

Violett, if u organize a girls' shoot out, I can be your PA
    I dun mind carrying the equipments

Originally posted by mylau

mylau strolls in...sees Blue kicking Jed...scared until face turns blue...and strolls out.....
    err... scare liao... still stroll out?
    not run out meh?

Originally posted by Pokka
    hehe...thanks for ur info..i've no intention of getting a dslr anytime soon... just got my a40 not long ago. i think i better train up my basics soon...then climb up the equipment ladder.

by the way, it seems u guys have both slr and digicams. can i ask u all a qs about digicam...

Do you guys prefer to on the LCD display ..and get ur image and shoot..or do u guys prefer to use the viewfinder? cos i've discovered, if u use the viewfinder, there's an area..or rather..a border around the picture that u cant see on ur viewfinder..but it will appear on ur lcd screen. thus u have to crop tat border away.
    I look into viewfinder of my c700uz last time.
    Canon Lover :)

Midnight
    Guests

Do you guys prefer to on the LCD display ..and get ur image and shoot..or do u guys prefer to use the viewfinder? cos i've discovered, if u use the viewfinder, there's an area..or rather..a border around the picture that u cant see on ur viewfinder..but it will appear on ur lcd screen. thus u have to crop tat border away.
    Parallax error is an inescapable problem with non-SLR optical viewfinders... personally I'd prefer to compose using the LCD simply because of the TTL view it offers. Of course, if your camera has an EVF, then the question doesn't even arise.

Originally posted by Midnight
    Parallax error is an inescapable problem with non-SLR optical viewfinders... personally I'd prefer to compose using the LCD simply because of the TTL view it offers. Of course, if your camera has an EVF, then the question doesn't even arise.
    What's TTL? And EVF?

What's TTL? And EVF?
    TTL : Thru The Len
    EVF : Electronic ViewFinder

erm, we're getting OT here... the topic is still "Why bigger cams aren't always better..."

personally i think most of us (me included) suffer from some degree of PE (P***** Envy), even if it's very slight. takes a lot to drop everything and just go back to using a P&S...

My 2 cents, when then pics during travelling, the natives feel less intimidated when u shoot pics of them using a P&S or a smaller camera. Imagine approaching an old lady sitting outside her hut with your SLR(wif vertical grip) and a giant(but awesome) 28-70 AFS 2.8 Nikkor, and point it at her face!!

thought i'll revive this thread with all the frantic DSLR activity these days...

UPZ UPZ and AWAYZ!!!

My basic walk around kit in the weekend is EOS 300 (80-200mm), EOS 500 (24-85mm), Slik Sprint Pro w/Manfrotto Ball Head , and the Lowepro S&F Harness and accessories

If I bring the EOS 30 (24-85mm) (80-200mm) combo, I would have to carry the 190 Tripod and a sling bag instead.

The point is, I am too lazy to change lens in the field,

After all I use only the M Mode and the Camera Body does not make a difference to my picture

I am waiting to own a Rebel Size 35mm DSLR
    Last edited by jasonpgc; 29th May 2003 at 06:05 PM.

mylau, how did you manage to take this shot huh?
    http://www.pbase.com/image/17018553

mm, i just got a c5050z, upgraded from a40. my friend tweakmax kept bugging me to get a dslr instead. i would think that it depends on what kinda level of photography you are looking at, and what kinda shots you are into. personally, i started out with a digital camera because i wanted to use it for family and vacation shots. i had a lao ya point and shoot film camera la, but i didnt really use it. it was really digital photography's convenience that got me started into wanting to take more than family shots. but, i still have to use it for family and vacation shots, which i would find it rather cumbersome to be using a humongous dslr.

though until now i am still very tempted to own a dslr, hahahah... but i am sure i have a lot to explore with my new camera, and that it should keep me occupied for a long time to come ^_^ i mean, i dont even have that kinda photography skills yet. the poor dslr would be so underused.

Originally posted by beivied
    mylau, how did you manage to take this shot huh?
    http://www.pbase.com/image/17018553
    my guess is panning?

errr.. then how come the fella in the middle didnt get .. panned?

Originally posted by beivied
    errr.. then how come the fella in the middle didnt get .. panned?

cos the focus point is on him, and the panning is done at the same speed he's moving...

oh really ah?? hmmm, i will give it a try when i can, hehehe e .. thanks

Deregistered

Originally posted by Violett
    But the Macro shots taken by the Coolpix series still imerge as a winner among the other cams.

So a message to all newbies or all that are intimitated by the BIG cameras that the pros are carrying which might result in the reluctance or hesitation to join SEED or photoshoot. Not to worry, coz you are not alone, there will be someone( well, at least myself) who will be joining in the photoshoot with my small camera and still very proud of it's potential in its own area..
    Hear hear. I wholeheartedly agree!

The last three days I had to go down to do some shooting, together with my associate photogs (pros using S2 Pros, and Mamiyas) and one former PSS Salon Chairman (multiple terms) who happened to use a Nikon SLR... Can only comment that Mr PSS had terrible shots (read not acceptable to my client). Had to rely on my own pix to save the day.

The selfsame joker had gone on a photo-outing with me and a fellow associate (Mr PSS with F90X and my assoc with S2). Somewhat amused to find my CP4500 macros far sharper, more vivid and closer colours than PSS... The best part was my portrait shot was spot-on for commercial dtp whilst Mr PSS was off-centred. He got away muttering some crappo about falling into the drain and all sort of nonsense....

So, my take is - yes, those with dinky PnS and little digicams have little to feel shy about. Its all about your eye for the shot and your creativity. Of course a little tech knowledge is always a good thing because that adds to your ability to squeeze out more from your cam.

//No offence to any PSS folks in here.// BTW, I've dumped him. Won't use the joker anymore for future jobs.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast