Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3678
Results 141 to 159 of 159

Thread: I hate Mac

  1. #141
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The heart of the Abyss
    Posts
    2,307

    Default Re: I hate Mac

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Wait, ability to permit is also the same ability to deny what...
    Nope. Not at all. I guess, this is going too deep. Speak to you F2F....
    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Why do you need a del flag? I never understood nor see a need, trashbin is just a storage folder for files you drag off the UNIX/Mac OS X desktop. I can easily modify the alias for 'rm' command to do that.
    Eh, if you have multi users...
    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    *Beep beep* Personal attack
    It is still true; you are a VERY BIG PERSON
    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Yeah, blame M$ programmers
    Eh... ICQ/ iTunes written by Microsoft? In fact, many MS product can run several instances; only these app programmers think they are to soooo clever...

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Why blame the programmer, why not blame the over all design of the OS. The developers develop on the set of rules and platform to support. If you say it's developer, then why does Mac OS/Linux upon access to root/sysadmin's functions will still be able to pick up ACL controls and prompt accordingly for passwords
    Two words: Backward compatibility. Mac has its zealots who will stick through thick and thin; even "abused" by Apple/Steve Job, they will stay. 2 architectural shifts in 4 years is the proof of that...
    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    I always had to log out of Win2K's ordinary user, to login as Administrator so that I can save my EyeOne Profile after calibration. If I had to do that on Mac OS X, accessing a system folder would prompt me for password.

    Hehe..
    The application programmer can use the impersonation feature or even a simple write to local drive as admin to access the installation directory (which shows that the protection is working somewhat). If this "prompt for password" feature is not asked for, why would they bother to implement it?

  2. #142

    Default Re: I hate Mac

    Quote Originally Posted by eng_keow
    Wah, juz following this thread from 1 to page 7 had taught me lots about the Mac. I have juz changed platforms to the Mac and the first 3 days was a real headache. Almost wanted to get rid of this PowerBook G4 until I got ProImage to give me quick tutorial over dinner. He's good not only in teaching cam tricks. hehe .

    I think it takes time and a little help to understand Macs especially if you are a die hard Windows guy like me. I think it is well worth the change.

    BTW, I am using 10.4.2 OS X and to switch tabs, I have to use Apple + tab. Not sure about the rest of u guys.

    This thread turns out to be quite informational... I'm hating Mac less by the post.

  3. #143
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default Re: I hate Mac

    Quote Originally Posted by jopel
    Does MAC has server OS wanna upgrade my WIN2003
    http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

  4. #144
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: I hate Mac

    Quote Originally Posted by Watcher
    What I mean about the delete is this: I can give a person RWX permission but not Delete. Or I can give groups (of users) access to a resource, but to deny a specific user or a group of users permission.
    Can... allocate a the user to a group of users which can access the delete command.

  5. #145
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: I hate Mac

    Quote Originally Posted by Watcher
    Nope. Not at all. I guess, this is going too deep. Speak to you F2F....
    Coffee on you

    Quote Originally Posted by Watcher
    It is still true; you are a VERY BIG PERSON
    I'm not big person, I'm just big boned

    Quote Originally Posted by Watcher
    Eh... ICQ/ iTunes written by Microsoft? In fact, many MS product can run several instances; only these app programmers think they are to soooo clever...
    That I don't deny, yep, there are applications that run many instances, the new MS Word etc all can open multiple files and takes up a seperate instance on the taskbar, but even if ICQ cannot be run on the same PC a 2nd time, don't need to kill the process on the other user right? Right now facing this kind of concurrent login issues on my XP Pro.


    Quote Originally Posted by Watcher
    Two words: Backward compatibility. Mac has its zealots who will stick through thick and thin; even "abused" by Apple/Steve Job, they will stay. 2 architectural shifts in 4 years is the proof of that...
    Pleased to say, even with the shift, you can still run apps, written on OS 9 via Classic on OS X. If Mac can, so should windoze!

    Quote Originally Posted by Watcher
    The application programmer can use the impersonation feature or even a simple write to local drive as admin to access the installation directory (which shows that the protection is working somewhat). If this "prompt for password" feature is not asked for, why would they bother to implement it?
    Protection? I won't say it's protection, it should have prompted me for access, login/password, and after performing the action, kill off my rights immediately.

  6. #146

    Default Re: I hate Mac

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Can... allocate a the user to a group of users which can access the delete command.
    Quote Originally Posted by watcher
    What I mean about the delete is this: I can give a person RWX permission but not Delete. Or I can give groups (of users) access to a resource, but to deny a specific user or a group of users permission.
    Yes precisely what sudo can do. Also can stick the file meant for rw but not delete into a directory with g-w. The group can then only read/write but not delete. For specific actions can use sudo to add a user or group that can execute just that one particular command like rm. If you cron it, then you can allow that to happen within a time frame. Can windows do that? Schedule de-elevation of privileges?

  7. #147
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    3,287

    Default Re: I hate Mac

    Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    agree...I have installed so many anti-spyware, scanner, anti-virus scanner and even 3rd party software to prevent unauthorised installation of popup and tool bar...

    i even tried to set the account to Users, installation of program should not be allowed, but those spyware, virus, popup still manage to come in

    now i just ghost the whole OS into CD...anything wrong i just ghost it back instead of reinstall windows all over
    Same here. Been doing this for 2 years already. Anything goes wrong pop in the cd and boot from cd and everything eill be back to normal

  8. #148
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The heart of the Abyss
    Posts
    2,307

    Default Re: I hate Mac

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    That I don't deny, yep, there are applications that run many instances, the new MS Word etc all can open multiple files and takes up a seperate instance on the taskbar, but even if ICQ cannot be run on the same PC a 2nd time, don't need to kill the process on the other user right? Right now facing this kind of concurrent login issues on my XP Pro.
    Who is doing the killing of processes here? Most likely ICQ itself
    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Pleased to say, even with the shift, you can still run apps, written on OS 9 via Classic on OS X. If Mac can, so should windoze!
    Then why must Adobe, Microsoft and others rewrite it if they are not "Carbonized" (if I got the term correct)? Or those using the SIMD Altivec instructions?

  9. #149
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The heart of the Abyss
    Posts
    2,307

    Default Re: I hate Mac

    Quote Originally Posted by shojibake
    Yes precisely what sudo can do. Also can stick the file meant for rw but not delete into a directory with g-w. The group can then only read/write but not delete. For specific actions can use sudo to add a user or group that can execute just that one particular command like rm. If you cron it, then you can allow that to happen within a time frame. Can windows do that? Schedule de-elevation of privileges?
    So if I have 200 person in 1 group and for 1 particular file or set of files I wish to exclude a user or a group of users, I must create a new group without these users and reassign the group? Have you seen how management of groups are? Or explicit deny permission on NT or VMS?

    As for scheduleing, why not? There is the equivalent of cron and scripting (WSH) to do so. I can even impersonate or delegate.

  10. #150
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default Re: I hate Mac

    Quote Originally Posted by maddog
    This thread turns out to be quite informational... I'm hating Mac less by the post.
    Haha......that is good!

  11. #151
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default Re: I hate Mac

    Quote Originally Posted by eng_keow
    Wah, juz following this thread from 1 to page 7 had taught me lots about the Mac. I have juz changed platforms to the Mac and the first 3 days was a real headache. Almost wanted to get rid of this PowerBook G4 until I got ProImage to give me quick tutorial over dinner. He's good not only in teaching cam tricks. hehe .

    I think it takes time and a little help to understand Macs especially if you are a die hard Windows guy like me. I think it is well worth the change.

    BTW, I am using 10.4.2 OS X and to switch tabs, I have to use Apple + tab. Not sure about the rest of u guys.
    EK,

    It will turn out to be even easier to learn by the end of the week!

  12. #152
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The heart of the Abyss
    Posts
    2,307

    Default Re: I hate Mac

    Frankly, this discussion is degenerating into unix vs windows

    I don't wish to participate as this a useless kind of discussion. I have used and administer unix boxes for >12 years including the main portal of one of the ISPs here, as well as using NT since its 3.1 days.

    Know your tools well and don't let your prejudices limit your knowledge.

  13. #153

    Default Re: I hate Mac

    Not quite OT as Mac has Unix as it's filesystem. I read that open source folks were not happy with Apple as the flavour of BSD used was not qualified.

  14. #154

    Default Re: I hate Mac

    Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    Haha......that is good!
    But I still prefer Windows....

  15. #155
    Moderator Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: I hate Mac

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tiger
    I though Lion should be next.
    do i hear krado coming? o_O

  16. #156
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: I hate Mac

    That one is HWZ one...

  17. #157
    Senior Member King Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In the heart of SengKang
    Posts
    5,882

    Default Re: I hate Mac

    War is one of the most regrettable human activities.

  18. #158

    Default Re: I hate Mac

    1. I spend $1500 on a peecee running windows.
    2. I get virus, trojan.
    3. I installed Anti-virus, personal firewall.
    4. My performance now became half, my investment became half too.
    5. Encounter wierd and unexplain behavior, reinstall again average 1 year.
    6. Repeat #2 if not break to #7.

    7. Remove anti-virus, personal firewall.
    8. My performance increase 100% and I regain my investment.
    9. Disable internet connection on windows.
    10. Continue to do my word, excel, games, PDA.
    11. Happy.

    12. Use Linux and Mac for Internet.
    13. After 2 years, still the same Linux and Mac.
    14. Still having the same Windows running games, PDA, office documents.
    15. Happy Happy!
    16. Repeat #7.

    Use what it is good for and what you like and value for your hard earn $$$.
    Last edited by whoelse; 21st August 2005 at 01:36 PM.

  19. #159
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default Re: I hate Mac

    Quote Originally Posted by Clown
    do i hear krado coming? o_O
    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    That one is HWZ one...

    We have one little "krado" in CS also, but not for AMD
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3678

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •