Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone has worked in Hong Kong before?

Default Re: Anyone has worked in Hong Kong before?

Quote Originally Posted by nikkie
    must learn cantonese! you're kidding yourself if you think or hear from those that you don't need cantonese. i wonder what kind of work you are doing, but cantonese are commonly spoken in the office even in MNCs. you are gonna work with some locals.

you also need a social life. go check out several exclusive joints in LKF...'no speak cantonese' = 'no gals'.. there was this time, an Ang moh asked me for directions to a good pub in CANTONESE! I was amazed.. for once i see a foreigner respects a local culture!

but then you'll pick up cantonese fairly quickly i'm sure. but don't ever think that no cantonese is okay. it is NOT okay. heee.........
    In the late 90s, when I was there I would say Cantonese is essential. For the first two weeks I was having only Mac as meals as its easier for me to order "Meal A, Meal B". Most employees of MNCs do speak English but it pays to speak Cantonese as they will break into Cantonese for informal chats which you should participate to clique. You are encouraged to learn and with knowledge of Chinese it does help in the process. I am sure I will have problem trying to learn Japanese without any help.

As for getting gals I am not too sure how Cantonese helps but I am sure it does, did not try, maybe I wasn't that advanturous.

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien
    He!he! This was exactly the same observation I made in SG, people are not so fast opening up.....don't feel disappointed, just open up yourself, and they will accept you. Hong Kong people like to chat, and chat, and chat, and chat..........alot!

Hong Sien
    I agree. It helps to put you alone in foreign land, you tend to speak up more since it has become a need to learn more about the new place.

1 more thing.
    Hong Kong office ppl dont take so many MC's, as compared with Singapore office ppl.
    (actually in so many countries I worked before, Singapore is the extreme in MC's claims.)

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    1 more thing.
    Hong Kong office ppl dont take so many MC's, as compared with Singapore office ppl.
    (actually in so many countries I worked before, Singapore is the extreme in MC's claims.)
    Why? are there clinics there?

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Life there is pretty much the same as Singapore, fast paced:
    quite different leh....esp night life
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Quote Originally Posted by insignificant.i
    can survive with no knowlegde of cantonese? how about hygiene.... with the not so recent SARS cases at the back of mind... my impression was that HK not as clean as Singapore, i've never been to HK....
    mandarin also can survive, although between HKer will not use it, we got to learn mandarin in school, so communciate in mandarin should not be a problem

SARS in HK was not due to hygiene....but because the buildings in HK are just too crowded

buildings are so tall and so near to each others until air cannot circulate, that's why the virus spread so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by insignificant.i
    Why? are there clinics there?
    There are clinics in every countries, but only Singapore doctors issue so many MCs that many ppl take advantage of, it becomes a phenomenon in many Singapore offices, and this phenomenon actually make Singapore workers very famous to some overseas bosses.

In Hong Kong offices, no one will take so many MCs, if u take too many MCs u are considered not fit to work and may be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    There are clinics in every countries, but only Singapore doctors issue so many MCs that many ppl take advantage of, it becomes a phenomenon in many Singapore offices, and this phenomenon actually make Singapore workers very famous to some overseas bosses.

In Hong Kong offices, no one will take so many MCs, if u take too many MCs u are considered not fit to work and may be fired.
    oic....i only take mc when i am REALLY sick, maybe the HKers like to self-medicate?

You have to assimilate lor. Mentally prepared to boast, sarcastic and live only for urself.

Success is the only way to go........Nonetheless, a good place to learn

just my personal view,

First, good luck and all the best for your HK job
    My $0.02 idea in HK below:
    1. The general cost of living is higher in HK, the cost of living will be HK island > KLN > NT, because of the rental, transportation and dinning outside. Most rest are cheaper for me
    2. The overall standard of living should be lower in HK
    3. The living area is smaller
    4. The working pressure is higher
    5. The food is "excellent" there" (my very personal idea ), more choices, better taste, you will learn a good food is not only the taste... the dressing, presentation, environment...etc are also impressed you.
    6. No need to go re-services, but oh...no... you can't earn $400 from IPPT anymore... count it as a loss
    7. More challenges there as everything is fast, including eating your lunch and walking on the street, I was always be pushing when I walked in HK, then I became a fast walker after I returned to Singapore for the first few days...
    8. No GST in HK. For me, most stuffs/gudgets are cheaper in HK, PC, camera, lens, HD.

Tips
    1. Rent a place alone the MTR line and near to your working place, the transportation is expensive, but not as high as Tokyo.
    2. Apply your HK IC, once you stay there for 7 years, you becomes a "REALLY" PR, not need to re-new every 5 or 10 years. It is forever.. you are a HKSAR PR then
    3. Open a bank account there, Hengseng bank is good as the ATM in every MTR stations
    4. The tape water is not drinkable, you need to boil it before drink.
    5. Watch out all those "temptations" .... but if you enjoys... take good care yourself
    6. Singaporean should be very easy to pick up Cantonese, don't worry, just try your best to speak and don't be shy, if people laughting at you, don't give up, try and try.

Good lucks,
    MCS
    Last edited by MCS; 18th August 2005 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MCS
    First, good luck and all the best for your HK job
    My $0.02 idea in HK below:
    1. The general cost of living is higher in HK, the cost of living will be HK island > KLN > NT, because of the rental, transportation and dinning outside. Most rest are cheaper for me
    2. The overall standard of living should be lower in HK
    3. The living area is smaller
    4. The working pressure is higher
    5. The food is "excellent" there" (my very personal idea ), more choices, better taste, you will learn a good food is not only the taste... the dressing, presentation, environment...etc are also impressed you.
    6. No need to go re-services, but oh...no... you can't earn $400 from IPPT anymore... count it as a loss
    7. More challenges there as everything is fast, including eating your lunch and walking on the street, I was always be pushing when I walked in HK, then I became a fast walker after I returned to Singapore for the first few days...
    8. No GST in HK. For me, most stuffs/gudgets are cheaper in HK, PC, camera, lens, HD.

Tips
    1. Rent a place alone the MTR line and near to your working place, the transportation is expensive, but not as high as Tokyo.
    2. Apply your HK IC, once you stay there for 7 years, you becomes a "REALLY" PR, not need to re-new every 5 or 10 years. It is forever.. you are a HKSAR PR then
    3. Open a bank account there, Hengseng bank is good as the ATM in every MTR stations
    4. The tape water is not drinkable, you need to boil it before drink.
    5. Watch out all those "temptations" .... but if you enjoys... take good care yourself

Good lucks,
    MCS
    thanks....

Quote Originally Posted by kthan
    ....as for no cantonese = no gals. I have seen guys picking gals in many cities w/o speaking the local language. (i am not referring those whom u need to pay).
    You mean the gals pay you. Right?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12