Thread: Some night shots (gallery updated)

1st 2 shots ... the shop lightings are overexposed

overall , nice shots
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Tom, what lense were you using for the skyline shots. I noticed the problem of converging lines but if you keep the lines straight, the top of the buildings get chopped off. Time to get a shift lens.

Mega: Yup. Actually these night shots were post processed. The original ones have quite big contrast between bright and dark. No way to expose correctly, unless i have small small ND filters to cover those highlights. Level was used in PS. And I did some perspective adjustment for the last shot in this page: http://www.openlens.com/~tomshen/upd...02_21_25.htm#1

Too lazy to adjust all shots, especially those ones taken with my 20mm upwards. To be honest, I found these night shots NOT interesting, keke.

Kid, I am a casual landscape photographer... Can enlighten me what's the function of a shift lens pls? I use 20mm, 50mm and 50-500mm for my night shots.
    Last edited by tomshen; 9th October 2002 at 01:09 PM.

Originally posted by tomshen

Kid, I am a casual landscape photographer... Can enlighten me what's the function of a shift lens pls? I use 20mm, 50mm and 50-500mm for my night shots.
    Oei!!! My name is KIT lah!!

A shift lense would also be useful for landscape. I know what it does but can't really put it in the exact technical terms. Basically, a lense with shift function allows you to align your subject parallel to the film plane, that means having the lines straight. Then you can actually shift the lens up/down/left/right to include the rest of the building(in your case) in the frame. For you, Canon has 3 lenses in the line up. The TSE-24mm, TSE-45mm and the TSE-90mm. They each costs above 2k last time I checked. You could ask for a demostration from Cathay but unfortunately, you probably won't be entertained unless you really want to buy it.

I believe you were using th D60? Try using the 20mm on your EOS 30. A wider angle might help with the converging lines problem.

Originally posted by Kit

Oei!!! My name is KIT lah!!
    Solli solli

thx for your info. dun think i will get a shift lens cos I like moving subjects more. They are in two different categories and no one is seemly easier than the other

Originally posted by tomshen

Solli solli

thx for your info. dun think i will get a shift lens cos I like moving subjects more. They are two different categories and no one is easier than the other
    Yeah, if you don't shoot buidings or landscape on a regular basis then I think there isn't a need for that.