Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 111

Thread: Proud to be a Singaporean

  1. #41
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default

    In Taiwan now. Met an elderly gentlemen and a conversation started because of the camera I was using. He asked me where I am from and I told him Singapore. Straight away, I saw 2 thumbs up. "Singapore is a very strong country! Law is uphold at all cost!" I told him we too have our own problems and it's not as rosy as he sees it. He said "No no no! Singapore is a very strong country! There's law and order!" I couldn't explain further with my limited mandarin.

    I think Singapore has successfully built up a reputation on the international stage but like many countries, domestic issues persist. I think it's just as important to address them. If not, whatever happens up front will just be a...... well.....facade.

    The gentlemen passed me a card and he was off. He turned out to be the president of Hasselblad users' club in Taiwan.

    Enjoying my 15 deg weather!

  2. #42

    Default Re: Proud to be a Singaporean

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeisser View Post
    These are the people who were born during the good times....never experienced the bad times.
    yes agree, they grow up thinking everything should be there for them.

  3. #43
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Proud to be a Singaporean

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikonzen View Post
    Do you guys have compulsory military service for all citizens? I think I read that your country bases it's military on the Israeli model is this so? Everyone serves?
    You may call it "compulsory" but we think we are more prepared to sacrifice ourselves and defend our country than any other citizen of any country.

  4. #44
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Proud to be a Singaporean

    Quote Originally Posted by Zenten View Post
    Every time I step into the MRT, I don't even know if I am still in Singapore or not ....... I am very humble not proud .......
    Do you work around Little India?

  5. #45
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Proud to be a Singaporean

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikonzen View Post
    And it is very nice to see humor is alive and well also!
    It's ingrained in our national psychic.

    We see everything in a lighter angle.

  6. #46
    Senior Member Nikonzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    2,544

    Default Re: Proud to be a Singaporean

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    You may call it "compulsory" but we think we are more prepared to sacrifice ourselves and defend our country than any other citizen of any country.
    I went off and volunteered to joined our Navy once when I was young and dumber than I am now. I wish we had compulsory military service in my country because then we probably wouldn't have quite as many knuckleheads as we do...

    Definitely another thing about your country that is great!

  7. #47
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: Proud to be a Singaporean

    Quote Originally Posted by Zenten View Post
    Why are the people still so disgruntled and unhappy?

    We are Singaporeans.... being unhappy and disgruntled no matter how good we have it, is a national pastime...

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  8. #48

    Default Re: Proud to be a Singaporean

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikonzen View Post
    Do you guys have compulsory military service for all citizens? I think I read that your country bases it's military on the Israeli model is this so? Everyone serves?

    not all citizens but all males who are in fit conditions.

  9. #49

    Default Re: Proud to be a Singaporean

    Singapore is a country where people said a "Clean and Green City".
    Some call it "Uniquely Singapore" and indeed we are unique in some ways.
    one of the most popular is a language which we invented called "Singlish" which is mainly English spoken in a sentence mixed with other languages words in it. not forgetting the new word "Underhappy" which means not happy and not sad...lol

  10. #50
    Senior Member Nikonzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    2,544

    Default Re: Proud to be a Singaporean

    Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    We are Singaporeans.... being unhappy and disgruntled no matter how good we have it, is a national pastime...
    LOL

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbonetics View Post
    Singapore is a country where people said a "Clean and Green City".
    Some call it "Uniquely Singapore" and indeed we are unique in some ways.
    one of the most popular is a language which we invented called "Singlish" which is mainly English spoken in a sentence mixed with other languages words in it. not forgetting the new word "Underhappy" which means not happy and not sad...lol
    Ah I see...I was wondering about some of the phraseology I have been reading in your all's posts. Makes sense to me now. This is great because I am always wanting to learn more about the rest of the world. I like to think of myself as a little bit more urbane than your typical American and it is hanging around in places like this forum that helps me to acquire this knowledge.
    Last edited by Nikonzen; 17th November 2014 at 04:25 PM.

  11. #51
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Proud to be a Singaporean

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbonetics View Post
    one of the most popular is a language which we invented called "Singlish" which is mainly English spoken in a sentence mixed with other languages words in it. not forgetting the new word "Underhappy" which means not happy and not sad...lol
    In Singapore some call it "Unsad" 0r "Half Happy".

  12. #52
    Senior Member Nikonzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    2,544

    Default Re: Proud to be a Singaporean

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    I think Singapore has successfully built up a reputation on the international stage but like many countries, domestic issues persist. I think it's just as important to address them. If not, whatever happens up front will just be a...... well.....facade.
    Kind of reminds me of something I heard a young women say to me in Jamaica one time..."in Jamaica we do not have any problems whatsoever...we have 'situations' "

  13. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zenten View Post

    Why are the people still so disgruntled and unhappy?
    Seriously, we are not North Korea where we shoot anyone trying to leave country.

    Those who not happy in SG, can just leave this country. No one will stop them.

    Why so much complaints?

  14. #54

    Default Re: Proud to be a Singaporean

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    In Taiwan now. Met an elderly gentlemen and a conversation started because of the camera I was using. He asked me where I am from and I told him Singapore. Straight away, I saw 2 thumbs up. "Singapore is a very strong country! Law is uphold at all cost!" I told him we too have our own problems and it's not as rosy as he sees it. He said "No no no! Singapore is a very strong country! There's law and order!" I couldn't explain further with my limited mandarin.

    I think Singapore has successfully built up a reputation on the international stage but like many countries, domestic issues persist. I think it's just as important to address them. If not, whatever happens up front will just be a...... well.....facade.

    The gentlemen passed me a card and he was off. He turned out to be the president of Hasselblad users' club in Taiwan.

    Enjoying my 15 deg weather!
    yes, it is true, my Taiwanese friends want to find jobs in Singapore. Better pay, clean place and safe at night

  15. #55

    Default Re: Proud to be a Singaporean

    Quote Originally Posted by Zenten View Post
    Why are the people still so disgruntled and unhappy?
    could it be u had been around with those "disgruntled and unhappy" group of people?? actually most people outside are happy.

  16. #56

    Default Re: Proud to be a Singaporean

    Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    We are Singaporeans.... being unhappy and disgruntled no matter how good we have it, is a national pastime...
    based on observations, many (not all) are not happy because of personal problems.

    just imagine a friend of mine who cannot find wife blames it on the high cost of living, but actually he spends his money on lenses.
    Last edited by Exposure; 17th November 2014 at 06:56 PM.

  17. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,793
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Proud to be a Singaporean

    Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    Seriously, we are not North Korea where we shoot anyone trying to leave country.

    Those who not happy in SG, can just leave this country. No one will stop them.

    Why so much complaints?
    I agree and I am not against your idea of having more people leave the country. It is just getting too crowded......
    Nikomi Canpen Zenten :eek:
    Not exactly 100% Natural but definitely the closest you can get to it

  18. #58

    Default Re: Proud to be a Singaporean

    Shingz! I learnt a lot from Singaporeans! It's so booms!!
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

  19. #59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    In Taiwan now. Met an elderly gentlemen and a conversation started because of the camera I was using. He asked me where I am from and I told him Singapore. Straight away, I saw 2 thumbs up. "Singapore is a very strong country! Law is uphold at all cost!" I told him we too have our own problems and it's not as rosy as he sees it. He said "No no no! Singapore is a very strong country! There's law and order!" I couldn't explain further with my limited mandarin.

    I think Singapore has successfully built up a reputation on the international stage but like many countries, domestic issues persist. I think it's just as important to address them. If not, whatever happens up front will just be a...... well.....facade.

    The gentlemen passed me a card and he was off. He turned out to be the president of Hasselblad users' club in Taiwan.

    Enjoying my 15 deg weather!
    In taiwan, govt is run by mafia. And their parliament is a boxing or WWF ring.

    And their degree graduates have no jobs or only get paid S$1500 monthly.

  20. #60
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Proud to be a Singaporean

    Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    In taiwan, govt is run by mafia.
    That's because they have Godfather:


Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •