Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: Singapore to develop Tianjin Eco-city

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,793
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Singapore to develop Tianjin Eco-city

    Talk about establishing close ties with PRC.......We are the biggest if not the only carrot for PRC to chop. Can't think of any other?
    Nikomi Canpen Zenten :eek:
    Not exactly 100% Natural but definitely the closest you can get to it

  2. #22
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Singapore to develop Tianjin Eco-city

    http://edition.cnn.com/ASIANOW/asiaw...0621/biz1.html (Old archive news of the SIP project back then)

    https://www.google.com.sg/url?sa=t&r...,d.c2E&cad=rja

    Project was spearheaded by the govt to bring in local companies to go take up the SIP project which mean not all the money was from the govt but the companies that went in. Burn? I don't want to get into the details as I don't want to drop names given some are corporate information but suffice to say I aware of people riding on that tail coat and I was part of that period including the fact I work for a company that was making in-roads into China then as well.

    In those days... the amount of horror stories we heard or experienced. The many things we have to do to set up the business, registration due process that will test your patience and wallet, build infrastructures, political bribery of various authorities and provincial, expensive lessons learning the business culture, cautionary steps to keep your business going, office and inventory security, staff with their simplistic mentality..etc

    Nobody is saying to stop this or to say it is not worth all the trouble. I am sure there are those who went in and found success as you can see in today's observation of local talking about it in medias but back then i the early days when they just begin to really open their doors for us to go in.. what mess it was maybe some of you youngster has not seen it first hand or were spare the problems some of us early ones faced. And to also say that this is the end of the nightmare and we are only seeing good times... you are sadly mistaken again. You still need to keep your eyes open going in today.

    There are fortunes to be made but to make it you need to know there are huge risk at play too from China's own players. To most SIP failed but there was much lessons we got to learn about how to deal with people in these country. The thing is if you can make it big there it is really big...but if it fails it is just as spectacular too.

    So when you hear there is a possibility this is done with our money thru the govt... you have to excuse me if I take a big gulp down my throat.

    I just barely remember but I think LKY got a little angry with them for the delay and runnign into more money need to carry on with the SIP and he demanded strongly for an answer and I recall he was given a ignored or give the equivalent of a " talk to my hand" by the Premier or Mayor. Someone has to correct me on this.

    Only when later our share of ownership of the SIP was lowered (which by then we lose 90 Million on the project) to 35% from about 65%.. then that year suddenly SIP showed a profit. The amount of unfair tactic used to wrangle this project from us and to learn how to build big projects like that is what help them improve on their understanding of industrializing.
    Last edited by sammy888; 15th November 2014 at 10:35 PM.
    A good photo's 45% you, 45% practice & 10% equipment. A bad photo share the same ratio.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Singapore to develop Tianjin Eco-city

    Quote Originally Posted by Zenten View Post
    Talk about establishing close ties with PRC.......We are the biggest if not the only carrot for PRC to chop. Can't think of any other?
    we're not the only country feeling pressure from China's growing power

  4. #24
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Singapore to develop Tianjin Eco-city

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    I just barely remember but I think LKY got a little angry with them for the delay and runnign into more money need to carry on with the SIP and he demanded strongly for an answer and I recall he was given a ignored or give the equivalent of a " talk to my hand" by the Premier or Mayor. Someone has to correct me on this.
    I read that he went to the highest echelon of communist party in Beijing and using his close relationship with them to seek help for intervention.

    Someone also has to correct me on this.

  5. #25
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Singapore to develop Tianjin Eco-city

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I read that he went to the highest echelon of communist party in Beijing and using his close relationship with them to seek help for intervention.

    Someone also has to correct me on this.
    He did and they show him the proverbial " Finger Salute"
    A good photo's 45% you, 45% practice & 10% equipment. A bad photo share the same ratio.

  6. #26
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Singapore to develop Tianjin Eco-city

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    http://edition.cnn.com/ASIANOW/asiaw...0621/biz1.html (Old archive news of the SIP project back then)

    https://www.google.com.sg/url?sa=t&r...,d.c2E&cad=rja

    Project was spearheaded by the govt to bring in local companies to go take up the SIP project which mean not all the money was from the govt but the companies that went in. Burn? I don't want to get into the details as I don't want to drop names given some are corporate information but suffice to say I aware of people riding on that tail coat and I was part of that period including the fact I work for a company that was making in-roads into China then as well.

    In those days... the amount of horror stories we heard or experienced. The many things we have to do to set up the business, registration due process that will test your patience and wallet, build infrastructures, political bribery of various authorities and provincial, expensive lessons learning the business culture, cautionary steps to keep your business going, office and inventory security, staff with their simplistic mentality..etc

    Nobody is saying to stop this or to say it is not worth all the trouble. I am sure there are those who went in and found success as you can see in today's observation of local talking about it in medias but back then i the early days when they just begin to really open their doors for us to go in.. what mess it was maybe some of you youngster has not seen it first hand or were spare the problems some of us early ones faced. And to also say that this is the end of the nightmare and we are only seeing good times... you are sadly mistaken again. You still need to keep your eyes open going in today.

    There are fortunes to be made but to make it you need to know there are huge risk at play too from China's own players. To most SIP failed but there was much lessons we got to learn about how to deal with people in these country. The thing is if you can make it big there it is really big...but if it fails it is just as spectacular too.

    So when you hear there is a possibility this is done with our money thru the govt... you have to excuse me if I take a big gulp down my throat.

    I just barely remember but I think LKY got a little angry with them for the delay and runnign into more money need to carry on with the SIP and he demanded strongly for an answer and I recall he was given a ignored or give the equivalent of a " talk to my hand" by the Premier or Mayor. Someone has to correct me on this.

    Only when later our share of ownership of the SIP was lowered (which by then we lose 90 Million on the project) to 35% from about 65%.. then that year suddenly SIP showed a profit. The amount of unfair tactic used to wrangle this project from us and to learn how to build big projects like that is what help them improve on their understanding of industrializing.
    have to say just one thing... both parties are not angels. Just that SG lost more because got outplayed but SG side did not play it right in the first place.

    No prizes in guessing why the current leadership in China does not even drop by SG when in the region.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 19th November 2014 at 03:30 AM.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Singapore to develop Tianjin Eco-city

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    have to say just one thing... both parties are not angels. Just that SG lost more because got outplayed but SG side did not play it right in the first place.

    No prizes in guessing why the current leadership in China does not even drop by SG when in the region.
    we're just small fry

    but then again, no one wants to upset the new superpower

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •