Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Legality of photographing / filming police, traffic cops, people employed by the gov?

Default Re: Legality of photographing / filming police, traffic cops, people employed by the

Quote Originally Posted by ahmad0420 View Post
    Hey guys. As mentioned I got in touch with SPF and theyve given me the answer.
    Thanks for the info!

Default Re: Legality of photographing / filming police, traffic cops, people employed by the

Quote Originally Posted by ahmad0420 View Post
    Hey guys. As mentioned I got in touch with SPF and theyve given me a reply, as follows:
    Remember this case few years ago?

http://www.mha.gov.sg/news_details.a...jg7zshGdbW4%3D

Many clubsnap members supported the WB photographer, (which I believe was mostly out of hobby/same occupation than reason), but I remember feeling strongly that the WB photographer is in the wrong and the Police had acted reasonably.

To photograph the police is one matter, the intentions behind is another, the situation surrounding it is yet another.

Sometimes people read a bit (of US sources that doesnt always apply here) and think they know a lot, and then they play with fire. It is usually these people that get into unnecessary trouble. Remember, you may know a bit, or pay a lot of legal advice, but they usually know a lot more, apply it daily and usually with that 'civil service play safe mentality'. If they arrest you, its usually after consulting the big cops behind. There are better things to photograph.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Nikonzen I think you need to research what you plan to say before just saying ...on the USA national park must pay to shoot - it is concerned about commercial shoots where the Park is used as a shoot area. The whole process is that a permit needs to be applied for in ADVANCE, if approval is granted you need to pay for a license to shoot in that park under a set of guidelines. It is no different than in Singapore if you want to shoot say a preceding in any museum you also need to apply in advance, get approval and pay a $100+ shoot fee.

Quote Originally Posted by ellery View Post
    Nikonzen I think you need to research what you plan to say before just saying ...on the USA national park must pay to shoot - it is concerned about commercial shoots where the Park is used as a shoot area. The whole process is that a permit needs to be applied for in ADVANCE, if approval is granted you need to pay for a license to shoot in that park under a set of guidelines. It is no different than in Singapore if you want to shoot say a preceding in any museum you also need to apply in advance, get approval and pay a $100+ shoot fee.
    I stand corrected sorry sir. It is not relevant to the thread anyways.

In the USA I have done of it before. I might snap at something where a policeman was involved but I have the utmost respect for them and their authority.

I got my incident today when i was shooting outside City Hall MRT. I was standing about 5 meters away from a group of police officers, waiting for my shot. The police officers are on duty but there is no operation at that time as i noticed when passing by. So when I was waiting for my shot, the group of police offers were standing Behind my back, 5 meters away.

As I hanged around waiting for right time of the shot in about 3-5 min (still with my back facing them), two officers approached me saying that i wasn't allowed to take photos of them :-) a bit pissed off as i have no interest in taking photos of them but anyway, out of courtesy, just showed them my camera. They browsed thru some of the shots and couldnt find a single photo with them in it so no other word or saying anything, they just walked away. A bit impolite, I may say :-)

If there were any shot that they happened to be in, dont know what happened or maybe a request of deleting the photos would do. But I would be careful next time when police officers are around.

Quote Originally Posted by black man View Post
    They browsed thru some of the shots and couldnt find a single photo with them in it so no other word or saying anything, they just walked away. A bit impolite, I may say :-)
    Maybe they want to see your camera, shooting with something expensive?

Don't think they will ever mind you photographing them especially after a successful non-lethal heroic rescue operation. Probably will even pose for you!
    What I really missed most, is my first SLR. An Olympus OM2 with the Zuiko 35mm f/1.4, back in 1982!

Quote Originally Posted by black man View Post
    As I hanged around waiting for right time of the shot in about 3-5 min (still with my back facing them), two officers approached me saying that i wasn't allowed to take photos of them :-) a bit pissed off as i have no interest in taking photos of them but anyway, out of courtesy, just showed them my camera. They browsed thru some of the shots and couldnt find a single photo with them in it so no other word or saying anything, they just walked away. A bit impolite, I may say :-)

If there were any shot that they happened to be in, dont know what happened or maybe a request of deleting the photos would do. But I would be careful next time when police officers are around.
    Hmmm, perhaps you can consider writing in to give feedback on their actions and clarify if these officers didn't overstep their authority.

Going by the SPF statement ahmad0420 shared in an earlier post, I guess if we are ever questioned on an SPF officer, it would be fair to ask them to clarify how your act of photography/videography does these two things:

1. Compromises the effective conduct of ongoing law enforcement operations; and/or
    2. Endangers or will endanger the safety of law enforcement officers in ongoing law enforcement operations.

2 Mere photography and videography of police officers are on duty does not constitute any offence. However, members of public should be advised that under Section 38 of the Public Order Act 2009, police officers are empowered to exercise control over photography and videography if the act:

a. Compromises the effective conduct of ongoing law enforcement operations; and/or
    b. Endangers or will endanger the safety of law enforcement officers in ongoing law enforcement operations.

3 As such, members of public should be mindful of their conduct during video taking. Any member of public who intentionally obstructs Police officers in the discharge of his public functions will be liable for an offence of Obstructing Public Servant in Discharge of his Public Functions under Section 186 of the Penal Code, Chapter 224.

4 Members of public should also adhere strictly to regulatory signs that are displayed at gazetted protected areas, places or prohibited areas such as our Police stations. These signs restrict photography and recording of videos around the premises. Police officers may probe into their intent and motive of taking photographs or making the video. They may also direct the member of public to delete the photographs taken in these premises. Failure to comply to these directions constitute an arrestable offence under the Protected Areas and Protected Places Act, Chapter 256.

5 SPF seeks the cooperation and understanding of the public when our officers approach them to probe into their intent and motive of taking the photography or making the video.
    Last edited by kandinsky; 3rd January 2015 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dickmann88 View Post
    Maybe they want to see your camera, shooting with something expensive?
    Haha no way. Shooting with my old X-E1 and CV15mm F4.5. I hadn't read this thread before the incident so didn't clarify. Will do it if there is a second chance :-) which I hope not.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12