Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Going to HK.. some tips needed...

Default Re: Going to HK.. some tips needed...

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    I came back already, this weekend got shoots lah...
    Now the ticket so cheap, can go anytime again. Currently there are (I guess) approximately 2000 model shoot organizers in Hong Kong so very easy to join one.
    Astin,
    Do you know where to find the good organisers?
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    I am also thinking of going hk next month to do some shopping.

Any recommedations on hotels? I want one that is close by to electronics shopping like Lens/camera/laptop so I can shop late and feel safe and return to hotel.

Prefably not too expensive.
    Fyi, a not-too-expensive hotel in Hong Kong will cost about SG$150-200.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet
    Astin,
    Do you know where to find the good organisers?
    Good as in "cheap" or "experience organizer" or "pretty model"?

woah please dun hijack my thread leh... it's more about going to HK for a simple holiday... and maybe a little travel photography... pls dun flame me too...

Muahah thread hijacking is so common these few days.

OK, let`s keep to the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by londonray
    woah please dun hijack my thread leh... it's more about going to HK for a simple holiday... and maybe a little travel photography... pls dun flame me too...
    didn't flame you, thought you may be interested in doing a model shoot ... sorry anyway, will pm Astin
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet
    didn't flame you, thought you may be interested in doing a model shoot ... sorry anyway, will pm Astin
    My gf is goinf with me... dun think that model shoots will be very welcome... haha... anyway too much to do for 4days anyway...

Ok, back to the topic.
    If u like to shoot high rise etc, then u can go to the Tsim Sha Tsui ferry terminal, this time the weather may be cloudy so u may not get those dramatic blue sky.
    if u like colonial feel, go to Wanchai, take the green colour tram, the locals call them "ting ting" because the sound.
    If u like to shoot beaches, then go to south of Hong Kong island, but the scenery is the same as any other beaches in other countries, so I do not recommend.
    U can try to take a ferry to other islands eg Lantau Island, Cheng Chau Island, these are local fishing village and diff than the city scape.

Shopping wise, not much, everything is same or similar to Singapore, camera equipment may be slightly cheaper. If yr gf want to buy clothing, u should tell her now the seaon is almost end of summer and beginning of autumn, so many boutique are selling autumn fashion.

September is only the autumn sesson, not winter, it is usually warm and windy, if u are a fat one u can sweat easily.
    Haha ic...so when is their winter season? I have been wondering when is the best time to go over too myself. Is December too cold?
    D300s D200 350D | N18-200VRII N18-70 N50 TK12-24 S70-300 TR18-200

Ok, back to the topic.
    If u like to shoot high rise etc, then u can go to the Tsim Sha Tsui ferry terminal, this time the weather may be cloudy so u may not get those dramatic blue sky.
    if u like colonial feel, go to Wanchai, take the green colour tram, the locals call them "ting ting" because the sound.
    If u like to shoot beaches, then go to south of Hong Kong island, but the scenery is the same as any other beaches in other countries, so I do not recommend.
    U can try to take a ferry to other islands eg Lantau Island, Cheng Chau Island, these are local fishing village and diff than the city scape.

Shopping wise, not much, everything is same or similar to Singapore, camera equipment may be slightly cheaper. If yr gf want to buy clothing, u should tell her now the seaon is almost end of summer and beginning of autumn, so many boutique are selling autumn fashion.
    Maybe the summer stuff will be having lehlong? Anyway... wow... still got themes one ah? haha... THat's good man... Would probably go to the giant Buddha.. and Lantau island... City Centre... will prob be doing night shots there as well... and then off course the harbour and stuff... thansk guys... I think that there's a wealth of info provided already... haha...

I will be there from 26th to 29th August, and on the 27th, there is gonna be fireworks commenerating the shOpping season begins. Read it in a handout.
    mOi bLoG - "i bLoG, dO yOu?"

Shopping season begins? I thought it just ended?

Quote Originally Posted by londonray
    Maybe the summer stuff will be having lehlong? Anyway... wow... still got themes one ah? haha... THat's good man... Would probably go to the giant Buddha.. and Lantau island... City Centre... will prob be doing night shots there as well... and then off course the harbour and stuff... thansk guys... I think that there's a wealth of info provided already... haha...
    If u want to shoot near the harbour, watch out for sometimes the strong winds, make sure yr tripod is heavy enough to withstand the sudden gust of strong winds. Take note now is also the typhoon season.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32
    Shopping season begins? I thought it just ended?
    September is their shopping season mah...

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by huaiwei
    September is their shopping season mah...
    Thot everyday also shopping season?

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Thot everyday also shopping season?
    Haha theoratically, but that is something like Singapore's GSS in July loh...

erm wonder if my reply is gonna be lame. i was sooooooo deprived of chilli sauce when i was in HK so if you're the kind who cant live without chilli.. err.. the one & only 'chilli' i had there was when i ate jap food.. chilli powder ..bottled do bring along a bottle or start collecting some packet chilli sauce :X

remember to bring along a sweater.. could get pretty chilly at night

dont miss going to The Peak.. lovely scenery.
    Last edited by furrycake; 18th August 2005 at 02:35 PM.
    爱是要时间慢慢培养的。。

Quote Originally Posted by huaiwei
    Haha theoratically, but that is something like Singapore's GSS in July loh...
    From the HK tourism website
    2005 Hong Kong Shopping Festival
    Enjoy fantastic summer sales and savour great food! Enter our Lucky Draw and take home great prizes! From 25 June to 31 August.

I will be going this weekend for holiday. Any good recommendation of reputable and reasonable priced camera shop?

Thanks Astin for the suggetions as to where to shoot. Are the people there ok when you take their photo on the street? Afraid might get bash up there (watch too much HK triad movies).

hi guys any specific recommendations for hotel?

I have the following listed from the Tradewinds website? Any suggestons? The number is the price per night in SGD.

Hotel Concourse
    Book Now! 3-Star Run-Of-House 76 N/A
    Novotel Century Harbourview
    Book Now! 4-Star Standard Room 83 N/A
    South Pacific
    Book Now! 3-Star Run-Of-House 86 N/A
    Ramada Hotel Kowloon
    Book Now! 3-Star Run-Of-House 86 N/A
    Regal Oriental Hotel
    Book Now! 4-Star Standard Room 88 N/A
    The Kimberley
    Book Now! 3-Star Run-Of-House 106 N/A
    Novotel Century Hong Kong
    Book Now! 4-Star Run-Of-House 107 N/A
    Harbour Plaza Metropolis
    Book Now! 4-Star Superior Room 107 N/A
    Rosedale on the Park
    Book Now! 4-Star Superior Room 114 N/A
    Regal Kowloon
    Book Now! 4-Star Superior Room 119 N/A

Quote Originally Posted by seewhy
    From the HK tourism website
    2005 Hong Kong Shopping Festival
    Enjoy fantastic summer sales and savour great food! Enter our Lucky Draw and take home great prizes! From 25 June to 31 August.

I will be going this weekend for holiday. Any good recommendation of reputable and reasonable priced camera shop?

Thanks Astin for the suggetions as to where to shoot. Are the people there ok when you take their photo on the street? Afraid might get bash up there (watch too much HK triad movies).
    Oh paiseh..i have always tot its in the July to September period...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast