Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do young people really think like that?

Default Re: Do young people really think like that?

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    anyway, I have heard stories like couples want to maximize their "receiving" from wedding banquet, only invite working adults, no teens or children and retiree are invited, or push them to their parents invitation list.
    to the extend of asking their friends only give wedding gifts instead of hong paos, so their parents will have to top up cash for the shortfall of banquet expenses. Very smart right??

Very very sad... and totally pointless...

Scuba & Father... For Life

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    so that nobody will dare to put $50.00 into the hong pao with their name written on it, else the bride will query them in their facebook timeline,
    "is it my wedding banquet is not up to your expectation? and than why are you only giving $50 hong pao? do you know the standard hong pao rate of the XXX hotel is $XXX.00? how to you expect us to recover our wedding banquet expenses....... blar blar blar"

anyway, I have heard stories like couples want to maximize their "receiving" from wedding banquet, only invite working adults, no teens or children and retiree are invited, or push them to their parents invitation list.
    to the extend of asking their friends only give wedding gifts instead of hong paos, so their parents will have to top up cash for the shortfall of banquet expenses. Very smart right??
    Heh, I can hardly recognize the world I live in, or was it I haven't grown up and still naive? Party, to me is people gather together and enjoy ourselves. Not a business activity where you need to have that ROI. I mean do you still feel the joy of watching your close friends go crazy (happy kind of crazy, not the IMH one). How much would you pay to see their happy faces?

I've been teaching my kid to appreciate her friends' presence rather than their present by showing her the shots of her happy friends. Somehow she does agree that her friends having good time is worth more than their presents for her.

I hope I am not making her a social outcast.
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post

Honestly what's wrong with what Xu Bin mentioned in the show.

In my parents time, you still stood a chance of getting what you want if you worked hard enough for it. Now? Your chances have been diminished even further due to the presence of foreign scholars. Heck, they've already learned what we've been learning a few years back. They don't have to study much and ace all their tests. And after they graduate, they can proceed straight to University while we Singaporeans still have to serve a mandatory 2 years of National Service.

You can now go live in your bubble that Singapore is still the same Singapore a few years ago and that video is completely BS, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkersNg View Post

In my parents time, you still stood a chance of getting what you want if you worked hard enough for it. Now? Your chances have been diminished even further due to the presence of foreign scholars. Heck, they've already learned what we've been learning a few years back. They don't have to study much and ace all their tests. And after they graduate, they can proceed straight to University while we Singaporeans still have to serve a mandatory 2 years of National Service.

You can now go live in your bubble that Singapore is still the same Singapore a few years ago and that video is completely BS, whatever.
    You make it sound so rosy. As if the lecturers go "hey look it's a foreign student let's give him the highest grade without marking his paper"

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoProZero View Post
    I think the mindset these days to throw a banquet is that surely can "make back". I cannot and still don't, why do the bride and groom insist on their guests putting their names on the Ang Paos? I always hear e same old story about 'returning' the favor. O come'on...seriously???
    Whenever I forget to bring Angbao paper, I'll put my money in another friend's angbao. If the friendship sours with the wedding couple because of angbao money, I find that I've spent the money very well because it has helped me find out whether one is a true friend or not.

You know in the past when Singaporeans migrated overseas or were studying overseas. What made us stand out? That we were willing to work harder than the locals, we were willing to take up part time jobs, we were willing to do what others wouldn't do. That gained us respect as doers and achievers. Unlike the young now who think rewards come without working hard, buying luxury bags while still an entry level staff and splurging on the "good life" because they deserve it. As for National Service, you would be surprised what is an liability to you is regarded extremely highly by many overseas nationals especially in the western world as service in the military is a sign of one's character.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbonetics View Post
    If one is really too poor to afford a full day wedding event then it seems ok.
    But if one can afford but just want to save money then I don't think it is ok because it is a once in a lifetime big day not for one person but a couple and their close family members IMO.
    When money becomes a problem in the future because of the wedding, the blame goes back to the wedding couple. Close family members and friends only know how to shake head and ask why you spend so much. Miscellaneous friends won't even remember the wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    If there's no money, better go for a simple wedding, or don't have wedding dinner at a hotel at all.

Getting a flat at a young age means getting a housing loan is unavoidable. A flat for 200K will require a savings of 20K cash for 10 years. Can one save $1600 per month? Dual income will lessen the stress but when the baby comes, it becomes even more complicated.

Anyway, in Singapore, you have to work hard (all your life), there's no other way unless you're willing to take the risk and start your own business.

I used to worry about all these.

Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post
    Housing need not be like this but we made it this way. What is wrong to have rental flats or normal HDB flat not at inflated price?

Public transport also too expensive same goes for medical. Food and school fee are reasonable. The new generations are squeezed till they can't breathe. But how else the rich going to make more?
    The solution - http://tinyhouseblog.com/ Different mindset. Adapt conform evolve compete survive.

This is beginning to sweep over areas of America where real estate is extremely expensive do to population density. Globalization is going to cause the common family to live in such a structure eventually.

Young folks are always wet behind the ears and so green. They feel they are immortal so they make foolish choices. They also think they are going to die tomorrow - same result foolish choices. Really they should relax and not fight it God feeds the birds every day OK...right??? lol
    Last edited by Nikonzen; 19th November 2014 at 02:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikonzen View Post
    The solution - http://tinyhouseblog.com/ Different mindset. Adapt conform evolve compete survive.

This is beginning to sweep over areas of America where real estate is extremely expensive do to population density. Globalization is going to cause the common family to live in such a structure eventually.

Young folks are always wet behind the ears and so green. They feel they are immortal so they make foolish choices. They also think they are going to die tomorrow - same result foolish choices. Really they should relax and not fight it God feeds the birds every day OK...right??? lol

In SG... unless you are born with a silver spoon, most of us are already used to the idea of living in a small apartment (most of us stay in Highrise building and not Houses in the traditional sense). My currently unit is about 90sq metre with 3 bedroom and 2 bathroom... enough for both me and my wife plus my newborn son.... and a permanent room is left for my mom as she shuffled between me and my elder brother places weekly looking after her grandchlidern....

As the old saying goes... Home is where the heart is...

Scuba & Father... For Life

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    You make it sound so rosy. As if the lecturers go "hey look it's a foreign student let's give him the highest grade without marking his paper"
    You seem to be unable to comprehend this statement properly.
    Heck, they've already learned what we've been learning a few years back. They don't have to study much and ace all their tests.

You seem to be unable to comprehend the idea of working hard. Take a look at your school library one day. You'll see very few locals there, but a lot of PRC people studying there. At least that's what I see in NUS now. They don't ace their exams by sleeping in class. That's just what you see. Outside of class, they work their a** off, while you come to forums and whine. That's how they get ahead of you. They have a headstart, sure. Doesn't mean you can't beat them.

If you think you have to work harder than them to get what you want, then get your s*** together and start doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    You seem to be unable to comprehend the idea of working hard. Take a look at your school library one day. You'll see very few locals there, but a lot of PRC people studying there. At least that's what I see in NUS now. They don't ace their exams by sleeping in class. That's just what you see. Outside of class, they work their a** off, while you come to forums and whine. That's how they get ahead of you. They have a headstart, sure. Doesn't mean you can't beat them.

If you think you have to work harder than them to get what you want, then get your s*** together and start doing that.
    well said

Sometime it's also parents fault....if you are from small family...say only child....a lot of the things are provided by default and brand new.....whatever you earn is for your own consumption so you can get the latest gadget...spend 90% of your pay on lavish trip...sport car.....branded good....you still have a roof over your top and 3 meals provided.....but if you are from large family....then you will have much more consideration whether it's worthwile to do that

sorry, my bad. i was in a meeting with my boss and saw your comment. didn't have time to read it through properly.

sigh. the problems we face when we are trying to focus on work, yet we see some BS online and need to clarify the situation.

#FirstWorldProblems

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    ...Take a look at your school library one day. You'll see very few locals there, but a lot of PRC people studying there.
    Maybe most of Singapore students are studying in Starbucks with their ipads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Maybe most of Singapore students are studying in Starbucks with their ipads?
    I thought they preferred to leave their stuff there as a personal deposit?

These stories r just to give excuses for opposition or guilable young irresonsiple adult to hate goverment, n make them feel its reasonable to "fail"

If both couple worked part time + few yrs full time working, dont tell me they can pay 5% deposite for a BTO. And a average bto takes 3yrs+ to build, dont tell me u cant saved another amount to reduce the loan n with yrs of working, dont tell me u cant get a hdb loan.

But if they couple wana buy EC, dbss, resale 5rm or prime location bto for more than $500k, and wana spend 70k for reno, then its their problem la.

As for wedding dinner, u can even earn $$ through wedding dinner. And if that young couple wana held their dream wedding at 5 star hotel, the its their problem la.

Knowing typical singaporean pattern. Sigh
    D800E / Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 / 150-600 Tamron

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Tan View Post
    These stories r just to give excuses for opposition or guilable young irresonsiple adult to hate goverment, n make them feel its reasonable to "fail"

If both couple worked part time + few yrs full time working, dont tell me they can pay 5% deposite for a BTO. And a average bto takes 3yrs+ to build, dont tell me u cant saved another amount to reduce the loan n with yrs of working, dont tell me u cant get a hdb loan.

But if they couple wana buy EC, dbss, resale 5rm or prime location bto for more than $500k, and wana spend 70k for reno, then its their problem la.

As for wedding dinner, u can even earn $$ through wedding dinner. And if that young couple wana held their dream wedding at 5 star hotel, the its their problem la.

Knowing typical singaporean pattern. Sigh
    Agree. Why so much malcontent nowadays??
    Just lower your standard of living a little.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast