Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: whats with singapore's buses?

Default Re: whats with singapore's buses?

Quote Originally Posted by denizenx
    what to do, world class mah.
    the buses in other places are worse.
    i think hongkong transport is better.

Quote Originally Posted by zaxh81
    In what way?
    D300s • D200 • 350D | N18-200VRII • N18-70 • N50 • TK12-24 • S70-300 • TR18-200

since complain complain complain...

can YOU give a workable solution???

sometimes it may not be the BEST way, but it is one of the ways which serves all parties.....

another point to note:

besides COMPLAINING about the policies/policies makers..

have you ever tried to STOP comparing and try to put yourself in their positions?

having to maintain sustainability and also to make the consumers happy??

public transport is singapore is NOT a public good.

it is a private enterprise.. so they have to generate income to sustain/make profit/replenish stock/please stockholders/etc...

Quote Originally Posted by zaxh81
    It is much faster....... I do not think that you need to wait for longer than 3-5 mins per train.... at non-peak period... that was a while back.......
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

Lightbulb Re: whats with singapore's buses?

commuters here have limited choices, so they complain and complain. if you need to take a bus, which one do you turn to? sbs transit or smrt depending on one's whereabout. so, no choices really. bus cos are taking a hard stance as they are in a near monopolistic position.

Quote Originally Posted by ibitemynails
    another point to note:

have you ever tried to STOP comparing and try to put yourself in their positions?

it is a private enterprise.. so they have to generate income to sustain/make profit/replenish stock/please stockholders/etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon
    It is much faster....... I do not think that you need to wait for longer than 3-5 mins per train.... at non-peak period... that was a while back.......
    Faster in terms of waiting time? Well that is to be expected, when they have so many people crammed into that amount of space. And yes, they have like...how many lines running along the northern shore of HK island where most of the entire city's business is taking place? Ridership is high, so train frequencies are high. In fact, I once timed our train frequency on the NSL, and it was one train per 3 min during the morning peak hours. Too bad we dont have that many riders for the rest of the day thou.

Other then this, any other thing which is good about their system?
    Last edited by huaiwei; 15th August 2005 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by huaiwei
    Faster in terms of waiting time? Well that is to be expected, when they have so many people crammed into that amount of space. And yes, they have like...how many lines running along the northern shore of HK island where most of the entire city's business is taking place? Ridership is high, so train frequencies are high. In fact, I once timed our train frequency on the NSL, and it was one train per 3 min during the morning peak hours. Too bad we dont have that many riders for the rest of the day thou.

Other then this, any other thing which is good about their system?
    Their air-con is freaking cold at all times all the day!

In fact, they're complaining that the air-con is too cold. Plus the weather is hot, can fall sick easily.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    commuters here have limited choices, so they complain and complain. if you need to take a bus, which one do you turn to? sbs transit or smrt depending on one's whereabout. so, no choices really. bus cos are taking a hard stance as they are in a near monopolistic position.
    Personally, I have never believed that public transport should be fully privatised, nor do I believe there has been much of a "competition" in the local public transport scene if that was the main reason for privatisation.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    You have to understand who their big boss is? Its the gulfament.
    Everytime when they wanted to increase fare, the same old excuses will appear again even though that they are still making $$ when the economy is bad.
    I do understand that, they have to answer to shareholders, but again, who should answer to us ,the public?

With the increase in fare, I still don't really see any improvment in the attitude of the drivers, not mentioning the bus facilities....

You can always observe the same old things happened again and again such as the bus driver just drove off when an elder folk or small kid have not get to the empty seat yet.
    Is this what they called training to increase the awareness of safety driving? My foot...

I think the whole thing is a crap, I can tell you when I was studying in Australia the bus drivers in town are much better trained. They actually waited for everyone to get seated or alighted before driving off and greeted everyone when boarding their buses and etc..., that is what I call quality service not just those fanciful stuff such as aircon, etc. What we need is service, real human to human interaction.
    Last edited by scanner; 15th August 2005 at 11:56 PM.

But to be honest, I wont want the driver to be waiting for every damn person to be seated at every stop before moving off. The bus ride is pretty long already!

But to be honest, I wont want the driver to be waiting for every damn person to be seated at every stop before moving off. The bus ride is pretty long already!
    Answer me this question, if your kid or old granny or maybe your granddad is slowly walking towards the empty seat in the bus, should the bus driver wait for them before speeding off?

Or maybe you have not encountered such good service before?

another point to note:

and u see..

even in CS, there are SO many people with SO many different opinions.

u think it's easy to be a transport planner..??

all you know how to do is COMPLAIN AND COMPARE!!

and u see..

even in CS, there are SO many people with SO many different opinions.

u think it's easy to be a transport planner..??

all you know how to do is COMPLAIN AND COMPARE!!
    Because you have not seen the world enough, thats why your view is so restricted.
    What I can tell you is, I do alot of travelling for my work, I've seen enough to comment.

Anyway, the argument is getting no where, suit yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by scanner
    Answer me this question, if your kid or old granny or maybe your granddad is slowly walking towards the empty seat in the bus, should the bus driver wait for them before speeding off?

I would hope for that, but I am realistic. I have seen more then enough of my fair share of buses speeding off, but I have also seen how people handle this on their own without complaining. Still, I have yet to see any old lady dropping to the floor because of a bus driver. They may move off, but they dont accelerate that fast either.

Singapore is a fast-paced society, and we pay the price for it. I would love to see Australia being as crowded and fast-paced as Singapore, and still see all their buses deligently waiting for the slowest passenger to sit down before moving off.

Because you have not seen the world enough, thats why your view is so restricted.
    What I can tell you is, I do alot of travelling for my work, I've seen enough to comment.

Anyway, the argument is getting no where, suit yourself...
    hahaha...

without even asking, you ASSUMED that i have not seen the world enough yet?

what i can tell you is, i have travelled a lot, studied different countries public transport systems, and even wrote a paper on this topic and i think i am qualified enough to comment.

I would hope for that, but I am realistic. I have seen more then enough of my fair share of buses speeding off, but I have also seen how people handle this on their own without complaining. Still, I have yet to see any old lady dropping to the floor because of a bus driver. They may move off, but they dont accelerate that fast either.

Singapore is a fast-paced society, and we pay the price for it. I would love to see Australia being as crowded and fast-paced as Singapore, and still see all their buses deligently waiting for the slowest passenger to sit down before moving off.
    To each his own.

HAHAHA scanner... you remind me of 1 indian driver driving bus 107. That guy got most courteous driver for many years in a row... always helping pple up the bus, waiting for pple so that no one will miss the bus... Oh yes... let everyone get seated before driving off and also able to speak many languages... dun know if anyone knows that driver... hehehe

Anyways, I was just wondering what in sg ever drop in prices... maybe only eggs.... mummy say before I was born Eggs is luxury item... now eggs are affordable... besides that I dun think anything ever drop in price significantly.... oil prices go up... bus and taxi fare goes up... oil prices drop, prices at the pump remain and taxi and bus fare also stay..... so sad... Now Bush also learning that trick from our garment...

Quote Originally Posted by idor
    HAHAHA scanner... you remind me of 1 indian driver driving bus 107. That guy got most courteous driver for many years in a row... always helping pple up the bus, waiting for pple so that no one will miss the bus... Oh yes... let everyone get seated before driving off and also able to speak many languages... dun know if anyone knows that driver... hehehe

Anyways, I was just wondering what in sg ever drop in prices... maybe only eggs.... mummy say before I was born Eggs is luxury item... now eggs are affordable... besides that I dun think anything ever drop in price significantly.... oil prices go up... bus and taxi fare goes up... oil prices drop, prices at the pump remain and taxi and bus fare also stay..... so sad... Now Bush also learning that trick from our garment...
    No wonder, you don't want to return home....

No wonder, you don't want to return home....
    not that I dun wanna return home... its simply cannot afford to return home..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast