Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34

Thread: gnd filter qns

  1. #21

    Default Re: gnd filter qns

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Couldn't have said it better.

    @ts, if the book is trying to tell you to "buy some pro gears, else cannot shoot", time to ditch that book.
    Particularly if the book or video (or other type of resource) is telling you to buy a light meter to shoot outdoors

    I came across a Youtube channel where every video was about using a light meter to shoot landscapes

  2. #22
    Senior Member SilverPine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,539

    Default Re: gnd filter qns

    Quote Originally Posted by fxsg123 View Post
    Hi SilverPine, dont know you are master in sunrise/sunset, haha... i love those photos, very nice! I will focus on the first 100 first

    One more thing to add, in my Beautiful Sunset Today, from pic#1 to pic#111 I was using Tian-Ya GND filters, sometime due to strong sun light, I stack two 3 f/stop GND filter. From pic#112 to pic#200 and current, I was using Hitech GND most of the time, with a few time Lee filter. Anyway, if you shoot multiple exposure and pp using editing software, which also able to achieve the GND result but it just take time to pp that all.
    Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    @singapore
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: gnd filter qns

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Can you share which book this is? Curious to know about this 'money spending guide' that would only make the shop owners happier and your wallet a fair bit lighter - without having much effect on your pictures.
    hi Octarine, sure, one of the book i borrow from library: photo inspiration secrets behind stunning images
    in fact, none of the books i browse focus only on kit lens.

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    @singapore
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: gnd filter qns

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverPine View Post
    One more thing to add, in my [http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1083824&page=25"] Beautiful Sunset Today, from pic#1 to pic#111 I was using Tian-Ya GND filters, sometime due to strong sun light, I stack two 3 f/stop GND filter. From pic#112 to pic#200 and current, I was using Hitech GND most of the time, with a few time Lee filter. Anyway, if you shoot multiple exposure and pp using editing software, which also able to achieve the GND result but it just take time to pp that all.
    thanks, you also earlier mention tainya filter is cheaper, I think I’ll start with this filter .
    sorry again i have to remove your link if not i'm not allow to post.

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    @singapore
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: gnd filter qns

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    No offend but you are right now like a young child let lose inside a toy store. So excited, to be inside that store, you want to buy to any and everything that looks cool and sophisticated.

    From what you wrote, I am almost certain you have no idea about basic photography and it's fundamental including know everything about what your gear are capable of and you are already eyeing more gear. the fact that you think you need a GN filter just to shoot sunset or sunrise tells me you need to step back and take a few months of playing with your present gear to really find out what you can or can't do with existing gear.

    Just watching a few videos is not going to teach you enough. Keep looking for more video, type in keyword that will show you what lens aperture are about, what Pro use and why and what your camera can do, how light works as it gets into your camera, why people want to use a GN filter or ND filter or any filter at all for that matter.

    I have shot many sunset/sunrise without even one and if i use it, I have a reason for it. But do you know why I do it? If you already have a budget that does not allow you to buy a reasonably good filter and instead of thinking further ahead if you need to get a bigger one in case you change lens or have more lens so you want a circular one of a square glass.. you never ask all those.

    So with limited budget and is long term situation where you have limited money to invest in new hobby purchase then you should try to learn to maximize the use of your existing gear FIRST. And not try to buy more of this and that just because you see someone or video using it or "highly" recommend it. KNOW YOUR OWN ABILITY FIRST before you upgrade. Go read, watch and practice using your gear for a few more month before you whip out your wallet to buy more gear and collect dust. The best gear you can buy to take great photos is just a few inches behind the camera's viewfinder.

    This is tough love speaking and for your own good.
    thanks sammy888 for your advice; i'm learning the basic at the same time, i purchased a dummies book for my camera and been reading it since. the rest of the books i borrowed from library as it's free!

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    @singapore
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: gnd filter qns

    Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    Particularly if the book or video (or other type of resource) is telling you to buy a light meter to shoot outdoors

    I came across a Youtube channel where every video was about using a light meter to shoot landscapes
    yes, i come across; i spend an entire afternoon today in the library and some of the books did mention using meter.

  7. #27
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    TS, we have a newbie's guide to filters in the stickies section.

    Also, learn the basics of exposure first and how to compose your scenes. Try reading some articles in the stickies section.

    In the meantime shoot more. Without filters you can still shoot landscapes.

  8. #28
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: gnd filter qns

    Quote Originally Posted by fxsg123 View Post
    yes, i come across; i spend an entire afternoon today in the library and some of the books did mention using meter.
    you don't really need a hand held light meter, your camera already have a built in light (exposure) meter, just learn how it works and how to use it effectively.

    hand held meter it won't give you a better reading if you don't know how to use it properly, but if you insist, can try download a light meter app into your smart phone and try it out.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    294

    Default Re: gnd filter qns

    Quote Originally Posted by fxsg123 View Post
    Hi sammy888, no problen yes i am new to photography as i just buy a new dslr ( really cheap, on discount at expo; havnt really use already regret) because all the 3 basic landscape photography books i borrow from library write about using gear i do not have and i cant continue as i cannot set accordingly.

    Something like f2.8 with some filter etc, thats why i start asking but i dont to spend so much first.
    For landscape, u don't need a fast lens. U need high depth of field to cover most of the field in focus. Hence, assuming u r using APS-C sensor, avoid using aperture less than f/16 to prevent diffraction. Each lens has its own sweet spot and u need to find out too. U don't need GND filter, just shoot in raw and use the software to apply GND filter.

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    @singapore
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: gnd filter qns

    Quote Originally Posted by bhtan83 View Post
    For landscape, u don't need a fast lens. U need high depth of field to cover most of the field in focus. Hence, assuming u r using APS-C sensor, avoid using aperture less than f/16 to prevent diffraction. Each lens has its own sweet spot and u need to find out too. U don't need GND filter, just shoot in raw and use the software to apply GND filter.
    Thanks, I understand your point; however just curious, how come those photography book's I come across and some of the images in this form, they state f2.8 especially for sunset/sunrise, thanks in advance.

  11. #31
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,420

    Default Re: gnd filter qns

    Quote Originally Posted by fxsg123 View Post
    Thanks, I understand your point; however just curious, how come those photography book's I come across and some of the images in this form, they state f2.8 especially for sunset/sunrise, thanks in advance.
    Please give us title and author, snap a pic of the site / paragraph.
    EOS

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    265

    Default Re: gnd filter qns

    Speaking of books id recommend digital photography school's loving and living landscapes. 2 awesome ebooks that teaches you a lot on post processing and composition techniques. Got it at a 70% disc xD
    Last edited by xjosephtbr; 11th November 2014 at 10:27 AM.

  13. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    265

    Default Re: gnd filter qns

    Quote Originally Posted by fxsg123 View Post
    Thanks, I understand your point; however just curious, how come those photography book's I come across and some of the images in this form, they state f2.8 especially for sunset/sunrise, thanks in advance.
    Wait. I thought people use f2.8 solely for astrophotography? And lightmeter? I Just use my camera's build in histogram
    Last edited by xjosephtbr; 11th November 2014 at 10:44 AM.

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: gnd filter qns

    Quote Originally Posted by fxsg123 View Post
    Thanks, I understand your point; however just curious, how come those photography book's I come across and some of the images in this form, they state f2.8 especially for sunset/sunrise, thanks in advance.
    Yes please show us which book so we can go burn it.

    And regarding light meters.. They are used to measure light that's hitting the subject hence usually used on people for portraits, if you shoot landscape u wanna trek to the mountain you are shooting and get a reading there then come all the way back to original position to shoot?

    Our cameras measure light from the reflections off the subject so we don't need to go to the subject to measure with a light meter, of the two light meter is more accurate but it is impractical for landscape photography.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •