Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: gnd filter qns

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    @singapore
    Posts
    30

    Default gnd filter qns

    hi, can someone recommend me a cheap gnd len filter that cost less than 50 locally

    basically i want to try to take landscape sunset/sunrise with my nikon 18-55 kit lens, read on photography book i need gnd filter

  2. #2
    Senior Member SilverPine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,539

    Default Re: gnd filter qns

    Quote Originally Posted by fxsg123 View Post
    hi, can someone recommend me a cheap gnd len filter that cost less than 50 locally

    basically i want to try to take landscape sunset/sunrise with my nikon 18-55 kit lens, read on photography book i need gnd filter
    Cheap GND filter one of the option is Tian-Ya, which have color cast. A reasonable GND filter will be Hitech, whcih is about $36 a piece from T K Foto. You will need a filter holder and adapter ring to connect your holder to your lens.
    Last edited by SilverPine; 8th November 2014 at 03:00 PM.
    Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    @singapore
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: gnd filter qns

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverPine View Post
    Cheap GND filter one of the option is Tian-Ya, which have color cast. A reasonable GND filter will be Hitech, whcih is about $36 a piece from T K Foto. You will need a filter holder and adapter ring to connect your holder to your lens.
    Thanks SilverPine, 36 is within my budget, do they have a round version that can directly turn into the lens?

  4. #4
    Senior Member SilverPine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,539

    Default Re: gnd filter qns

    Quote Originally Posted by fxsg123 View Post
    Thanks SilverPine, 36 is within my budget, do they have a round version that can directly turn into the lens?
    Hitech GND come in 84x110mm, which is for you to adjust up and down to suit the landscape requirement. You will be able to move the GND filter up and down by using the filter holder, that is the filter for.

    Example of the filter: https://www.formatt-hitech.com/en/ca...filters~4.html

    Hitech Neutral Density Master Kit Review
    Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    @singapore
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: gnd filter qns

    Thanks.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    @singapore
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: gnd filter qns

    hi sorry, another question.

    as mention, i'm reading on photography book for sunrise/sunset.
    i notice my nikon kit len (18-55) only provide 3.5 max aperture? am i correct; the book mention i need a fast len, provide example is f2.8.

    i search online, 2.8 is very expensive, the cheapest found locally is below, about sg$400:
    => www technogadgets dot com dot sg
    => third-party-lenses
    => tamron-sp-af-17-50mm-f/2-8-xr-di-ld-aspherical-mk-ii-nikon-mount
    (sorry i cant post link)

    i need advice as i think above can become my primary len, replacing my kit len?

    can i find similar price range if i go to a shop locally?
    reason because i'm new to photography and prefer to try on the spot before i buy, thanks

  7. #7
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: gnd filter qns

    Quote Originally Posted by fxsg123 View Post
    hi sorry, another question.

    as mention, i'm reading on photography book for sunrise/sunset.
    i notice my nikon kit len (18-55) only provide 3.5 max aperture? am i correct; the book mention i need a fast len, provide example is f2.8.

    i search online, 2.8 is very expensive, the cheapest found locally is below, about sg$400:
    => www technogadgets dot com dot sg
    => third-party-lenses
    => tamron-sp-af-17-50mm-f/2-8-xr-di-ld-aspherical-mk-ii-nikon-mount
    (sorry i cant post link)

    i need advice as i think above can become my primary len, replacing my kit len?

    can i find similar price range if i go to a shop locally?
    reason because i'm new to photography and prefer to try on the spot before i buy, thanks
    No offend but you are right now like a young child let lose inside a toy store. So excited, to be inside that store, you want to buy to any and everything that looks cool and sophisticated.

    From what you wrote, I am almost certain you have no idea about basic photography and it's fundamental including know everything about what your gear are capable of and you are already eyeing more gear. the fact that you think you need a GN filter just to shoot sunset or sunrise tells me you need to step back and take a few months of playing with your present gear to really find out what you can or can't do with existing gear.

    Just watching a few videos is not going to teach you enough. Keep looking for more video, type in keyword that will show you what lens aperture are about, what Pro use and why and what your camera can do, how light works as it gets into your camera, why people want to use a GN filter or ND filter or any filter at all for that matter.

    I have shot many sunset/sunrise without even one and if i use it, I have a reason for it. But do you know why I do it? If you already have a budget that does not allow you to buy a reasonably good filter and instead of thinking further ahead if you need to get a bigger one in case you change lens or have more lens so you want a circular one of a square glass.. you never ask all those.

    So with limited budget and is long term situation where you have limited money to invest in new hobby purchase then you should try to learn to maximize the use of your existing gear FIRST. And not try to buy more of this and that just because you see someone or video using it or "highly" recommend it. KNOW YOUR OWN ABILITY FIRST before you upgrade. Go read, watch and practice using your gear for a few more month before you whip out your wallet to buy more gear and collect dust. The best gear you can buy to take great photos is just a few inches behind the camera's viewfinder.

    This is tough love speaking and for your own good.
    A good photo's 45% you, 45% practice & 10% equipment. A bad photo share the same ratio.

  8. #8
    Senior Member SilverPine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,539

    Default Re: gnd filter qns

    Quote Originally Posted by fxsg123 View Post
    hi sorry, another question.

    as mention, i'm reading on photography book for sunrise/sunset.
    i notice my nikon kit len (18-55) only provide 3.5 max aperture? am i correct; the book mention i need a fast len, provide example is f2.8.

    i search online, 2.8 is very expensive, the cheapest found locally is below, about sg$400:
    => www technogadgets dot com dot sg
    => third-party-lenses
    => tamron-sp-af-17-50mm-f/2-8-xr-di-ld-aspherical-mk-ii-nikon-mount
    (sorry i cant post link)

    i need advice as i think above can become my primary len, replacing my kit len?

    can i find similar price range if i go to a shop locally?
    reason because i'm new to photography and prefer to try on the spot before i buy, thanks

    For sunset landscape photographic, usually my f/stop is f/9, which produce a better and sharper image; these apply to my other f/2.8, f/4 and f/5.6 lens. Need to use tripod to produce some smooth surface from sea/lake for long exposure timing. Try to shot using RAW file, and later to process the White Balance at home. Your kit lens is ok, start shoot first before investing in other lens. For me GND filter is a must for me for landscape photographic, but other prefer to shoot in +- 2/3 f/stop (for example) and pp them in computer.
    Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    @singapore
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: gnd filter qns

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    No offend but you are right now like a young child let lose inside a toy store. So excited, to be inside that store, you want to buy to any and everything that looks cool and sophisticated.

    From what you wrote, I am almost certain you have no idea about basic photography and it's fundamental including know everything about what your gear are capable of and you are already eyeing more gear. the fact that you think you need a GN filter just to shoot sunset or sunrise tells me you need to step back and take a few months of playing with your present gear to really find out what you can or can't do with existing gear.

    Just watching a few videos is not going to teach you enough. Keep looking for more video, type in keyword that will show you what lens aperture are about, what Pro use and why and what your camera can do, how light works as it gets into your camera, why people want to use a GN filter or ND filter or any filter at all for that matter.

    I have shot many sunset/sunrise without even one and if i use it, I have a reason for it. But do you know why I do it? If you already have a budget that does not allow you to buy a reasonably good filter and instead of thinking further ahead if you need to get a bigger one in case you change lens or have more lens so you want a circular one of a square glass.. you never ask all those.

    So with limited budget and is long term situation where you have limited money to invest in new hobby purchase then you should try to learn to maximize the use of your existing gear FIRST. And not try to buy more of this and that just because you see someone or video using it or "highly" recommend it. KNOW YOUR OWN ABILITY FIRST before you upgrade. Go read, watch and practice using your gear for a few more month before you whip out your wallet to buy more gear and collect dust. The best gear you can buy to take great photos is just a few inches behind the camera's viewfinder.

    This is tough love speaking and for your own good.
    Hi sammy888, no problen yes i am new to photography as i just buy a new dslr ( really cheap, on discount at expo; havnt really use already regret) because all the 3 basic landscape photography books i borrow from library write about using gear i do not have and i cant continue as i cannot set accordingly.

    Something like f2.8 with some filter etc, thats why i start asking but i dont to spend so much first.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    @singapore
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: gnd filter qns

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverPine View Post
    For sunset landscape photographic, usually my f/stop is f/9, which produce a better and sharper image; these apply to my other f/2.8, f/4 and f/5.6 lens. Need to use tripod to produce some smooth surface from sea/lake for long exposure timing. Try to shot using RAW file, and later to process the White Balance at home. Your kit lens is ok, start shoot first before investing in other lens. For me GND filter is a must for me for landscape photographic, but other prefer to shoot in +- 2/3 f/stop (for example) and pp them in computer.
    Thanks, the book also mention about gnd filter, seem like i am lacking alot of equipment that make the book really useless with my current equipment, haha.

  11. #11
    Senior Member shierwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    3,334

    Default Re: gnd filter qns

    Suggest you read this article on filters. Should get a CPL filter before any other filters...

    http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...ns-filters.htm

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    @singapore
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: gnd filter qns

    Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post
    Suggest you read this article on filters. Should get a CPL filter before any other filters...

    Great article, i finished reading, give a basic understanding why one need a filter thks

    Btw sorry i have to remove your link if not i cannot submit, less than 50 post

  13. #13

    Default Re: gnd filter qns

    You don't need fast lenses in landscape photography unless you're shooting milky way or something. You'll want to use a smaller aperture (~f8) in landscapes anyway; you won't really use f2.8 and so you won't be able to take advantage of the larger aperture.

    As mentioned above, you can bracket your shots instead of using a GND. I personally prefer bracketing because there are limits to the positioning of GND filters - you may not want to darken everything in an area. Bracketing and then blending in post production can work better, but usually takes more time. Nevertheless, I prefer not to have to fiddle around with filters too much while shooting because it takes time. Unless there's something which I cannot work around (e.g. solid ND filter for long exposures, or circular polariser), I try not to use filters.

  14. #14
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: gnd filter qns

    Quote Originally Posted by fxsg123 View Post
    hi sorry, another question.

    as mention, i'm reading on photography book for sunrise/sunset.
    i notice my nikon kit len (18-55) only provide 3.5 max aperture? am i correct; the book mention i need a fast len, provide example is f2.8.

    i search online, 2.8 is very expensive, the cheapest found locally is below, about sg$400:
    => www technogadgets dot com dot sg
    => third-party-lenses
    => tamron-sp-af-17-50mm-f/2-8-xr-di-ld-aspherical-mk-ii-nikon-mount
    (sorry i cant post link)

    i need advice as i think above can become my primary len, replacing my kit len?

    can i find similar price range if i go to a shop locally?
    reason because i'm new to photography and prefer to try on the spot before i buy, thanks
    no offence, if this book indeed recommend you to get a fast lens to shoot sunrise sunset, please throw away the book.

    and go and read this book instead, don't need to buy, you can find it in our national library.




    and btw, go and check out the photos here, https://www.flickr.com/groups/nikon18-55/pool/

    you don't need a better lens at this moment, what you need now is knowledge and skills, and follow by a pair of keen eyes for interesting subjects around you, not better gears.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  15. #15
    Senior Member SilverPine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,539

    Default Re: gnd filter qns

    Quote Originally Posted by fxsg123 View Post
    Thanks, the book also mention about gnd filter, seem like i am lacking alot of equipment that make the book really useless with my current equipment, haha.
    For the sunrise/sunset landscape photographic, the basic requirement is any camera with tripod, later as your needs required, please take your time to add them wisely. My first DSLR with kits lens, used it for minimum 50,000 shots before I moved on to other lens.

    I had one thread Beautiful Sunset Today, which I document what camera and lens used, any GND or CPL filter, and camera setting used to take the sunset photo. I am no good in pp skill, so I need to learn how to stack filters for the sunset photographic.
    Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro

  16. #16
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,388

    Default Re: gnd filter qns

    Quote Originally Posted by fxsg123 View Post
    Thanks, the book also mention about gnd filter, seem like i am lacking alot of equipment that make the book really useless with my current equipment, haha.
    Can you share which book this is? Curious to know about this 'money spending guide' that would only make the shop owners happier and your wallet a fair bit lighter - without having much effect on your pictures.
    EOS

  17. #17
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: gnd filter qns

    Quote Originally Posted by fxsg123 View Post
    Hi sammy888, no problen yes i am new to photography as i just buy a new dslr ( really cheap, on discount at expo; havnt really use already regret) because all the 3 basic landscape photography books i borrow from library write about using gear i do not have and i cant continue as i cannot set accordingly.

    Something like f2.8 with some filter etc, thats why i start asking but i dont to spend so much first.
    Don't spend money unnecessary when just starting out.. you might not even like to shoot sunset and sunrise often once you are past doing it a couple of times. Okay so you buy a cheap GND filter to save some money. I guess that mean if you stop using it and throw it aside, you don;t feel so bad. I get it BUT when you develop a attitude like that without learning your fundamental, you are going to end up buying a lot of wasteful gear.

    Without basic photography know-how, you have no idea what F-stops means, shutter speed selection and why, types of lens and their focal length, what is depth of field in relation to f-stop..etc. If all this sound "alien" to you.. you really NOW know you are not ready to waste more money buying ADDITIONAL gear which also require you to learn even more things on how to use them well depending on the situations. It is not so simple as screwing on a filter and everything comes out fine automatically. Even if I put a pro camera in your hands you will not shoot anything great simply because you are not well verse with how to use your camera.

    There is no reason why you can not shoot sunrise or sunset without a GND filter. And for some we might use a Neutral density (ND) or Polariser Filters. It all depend on what or how you want to capture the scene. You need to understand how light works in a scene way before you even consider using a filter for your sunset and sunrise shot. And yes it is crazy to shoot a sunset with the aperture set at F2.8. Seow unless there is a damn good reason for doing it.

    So learn your basic first. The sun is always going to be there for you to shoot.. today, tomorrow, next year, 50 years from now.... you get the picture. Books don't say enough especially if you don't understand the photographic terminology becasue you picked up a higher level book that is teaching you tricks and advance tips. Get books that teaches a newbie that will start by explaining to you all the basic features of a camera and what they do and how making certain adjustment will produce a certain kind of look. In fact your camera's manual is a good read in itself.

    Personally, I still say for FREE lessons in video format, type key word about what you want to learn into YOUTUBE or Google and you get so much more from there without going library. Be becareful of books or videos you read written especially by pro or famous photographers as sometime they will ask you to buy something to improve your shoot or get more Pro gear....etc. They sometime do this to earn extra commission when yo ubuy the product from their website or mail order. don't fall for all that stuff at this stage.

    I say again, learn your basic first. It does not take more then a week and some practicing with your camera at the same time. Once you master that, all the other things you learn later will be more clearer and you might even spot errors or fake selling from what you read or hear. New toy, your camera, I can understand.. you are excited and can not wait to do all kinds of shooting. But if you do not pay your due diligently to know your gear and basic photography skills now, you will not be ready to take the next step.

    Trust us when we tell you, most of us are all still learning every time we play with our camera it is a life long thing. Just like you will see about sunset or sunrise... you can never capture two sunrise looking exactly the same. And because they are forever different from today and tomorrow, you have to make changes to your shots, add filters or take away filter or use a tripod....or something else. Don't buy the filter.

    Learn your basics.
    Last edited by sammy888; 9th November 2014 at 08:39 AM.
    A good photo's 45% you, 45% practice & 10% equipment. A bad photo share the same ratio.

  18. #18
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post

    Don't spend money unnecessary when just starting out.. you might not even like to shoot sunset and sunrise often once you are past doing it a couple of times. Okay so you buy a cheap GND filter to save some money. I guess that mean if you stop using it and throw it aside, you don;t feel so bad. I get it BUT when you develop a attitude like that without learning your fundamental, you are going to end up buying a lot of wasteful gear.

    Without basic photography know-how, you have no idea what F-stops means, shutter speed selection and why, types of lens and their focal length, what is depth of field in relation to f-stop..etc. If all this sound "alien" to you.. you really NOW know you are not ready to waste more money buying ADDITIONAL gear which also require you to learn even more things on how to use them well depending on the situations. It is not so simple as screwing on a filter and everything comes out fine automatically. Even if I put a pro camera in your hands you will not shoot anything great simply because you are not well verse with how to use your camera.

    There is no reason why you can not shoot sunrise or sunset without a GND filter. And for some we might use a Neutral density (ND) or Polariser Filters. It all depend on what or how you want to capture the scene. You need to understand how light works in a scene way before you even consider using a filter for your sunset and sunrise shot.

    So learn your basic first. The sun is always going to be there for you to shoot.. today, tomorrow, next year, 50 years from now.... you get the picture. Books don't say enough especially if you don't understand the photographic terminology becasue you picked up a higher level book that is teaching you tricks and advance tips. Get books that teaches a newbie that will start by explaining to you all the basic features of a camera and what they do and how making certain adjustment will produce a certain kind of look. In fact your camera's manual is a good read in itself.

    Personally, I still say for FREE lessons in video format, type key word about what you want to learn into YOUTUBE or Google and you get so much more from there without going library. Be becareful of books or videos you read written especially by pro or famous photographers as sometime they will ask you to buy something to improve your shoot or get more Pro gear....etc. They sometime do this to earn extra commission when yo ubuy the product from their website or mail order. don't fall for all that stuff at this stage.

    I say again, learn your basic first. It does not take more then a week and some practicing with your camera at the same time. Once you master that, all the other things you learn later will be more clearer and you might even spot errors or fake selling rom what you read or hear. New toy I can understand.. you are excited and can not wait to do all kinds of shooting. But if you do not pay your due diligent to know your gear now, you will not be ready to take the next step. Trust us when we tell you, most of us are all still learning every time we play with our camera it is a life long thing. Just like you will see about sunset or sunrise... you can never capture two sunrise looking exactly the same. And because they are forever different from today and tomorrow, you have to make changes to your shots, add filters or take away filter or use a tripod....or something else. Don't buy the filter.

    Learn your basics.
    Couldn't have said it better.

    @ts, if the book is trying to tell you to "buy some pro gears, else cannot shoot", time to ditch that book.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    @singapore
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: gnd filter qns

    Hi SilverPine, dont know you are master in sunrise/sunset, haha... i love those photos, very nice! I will focus on the first 100 first

  20. #20
    Senior Member SilverPine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,539

    Default Re: gnd filter qns

    Quote Originally Posted by fxsg123 View Post
    Hi SilverPine, dont know you are master in sunrise/sunset, haha... i love those photos, very nice! I will focus on the first 100 first

    Thank you for viewing my Beautiful Sunset Today, I am still learning. For the use of GND filters it have it's limitation, it work better if the horizon is more flat, it produce the image more close to our human's eye can see, which in the shadow will result lost in details. But if you prefer images to produce bright, contrast and colorful in all areas which include the areas in the shadow, then multiple exposure or HDR will be the solution. Happy shooting with your new camera.
    Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •