Thread: Battery issue --- Help needed

Exclamation Battery issue --- Help needed

I'll travel to a area WITHOUT electricity facility,
    so, anyone kind enough to point me some idea/advice is it anyway to solve the battery issue.

Of course buying a dozen or original battery and give them a full charge and slot into the bag will be a ideal idea, but the cost is high....

so, consider the cost issue, anyhone can help me by giving me some tips/solution to solve my problem ?

i'll be there for a month or slightly longer than that.......
    it's a cold environment (as i know battery will have shorter life if working under cold environment)... anyone ? anyone ?

help pls.

Default Re: Battery issue --- Help needed

I hate to say it, since I only shoot digital, but this is one situation where a fully manual camera with a few rolls of film may be the better solution

besh bro... like i told ya, get an FM2
    Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "...I've never considered myself a fast guitar player..."

I hate to say it, since I only shoot digital, but this is one situation where a fully manual camera with a few rolls of film may be the better solution
    i've give up my manual cam, and most of my lense is DG format with crop factor...

Shoot only when u are very sure to shoot, to conserve battery power, that is very good actually, it forces u to think, frame, think again, frame again, think thrice, shoot once.
    Its the quality, not quantity, u would be happier with 1 good shot rather than 1000 average shots....

May be some external battery pack sellin at eastgear:
    http://www.eastgear.com/shop/product...roducts_id=441

But I doubt it will last you for month unless you seldom shoot.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Quote Originally Posted by besh
    i've give up my manual cam, and most of my lense is DG format with crop factor...
    If you shoot Canon DSLR, I don't mind loaning you a couple of my spare batts. Even so, short of bringing your own generator, if you are off for a month in cold weather, you ain't going to get very far w/o re-charging. There is an article on someone shooting with a 10D on an expedition to Everest --> http://www.fredmiranda.com/A19/

Since you have experience with a manual cam, why not pick one up on the cheap here or at one of the shops in Peninsula?

Enjoy your trip, where-ever you are going.

If you shoot Canon DSLR, I don't mind loaning you a couple of my spare batts. Even so, short of bringing your own generator, if you are off for a month in cold weather, you ain't going to get very far w/o re-charging. There is an article on someone shooting with a 10D on an expedition to Everest --> http://www.fredmiranda.com/A19/

Since you have experience with a manual cam, why not pick one up on the cheap here or at one of the shops in Peninsula?

Enjoy your trip, where-ever you are going.
    You are star unfortunately i shoot nikon and i'm johorean.
    but it's nice to meet you and have ur suggestion.
    i'm looking at some solar powered charger, so, i'm wondering is it useful for these....

if you are using 20d, can bring the battery magazine and lots of AA batteries

oops
    u use nikon

hmm, maybe go sim lim tower to find solar charger?

bro

limit the use of your LCD display.

trust yourself, review only if you must.

don't use VR lens all the time.

keep your batteries/camera warm (next to your body.)

Get enough spare batteries.
    If you think that what you have is not enough maybe you might to post a thread asking Clubsnappers if they are willing to loan their spares for a small fee.
    At least you don't have to buy a dozen that you might not need later on.

Now how about extra memory cards?
    Since having spare batteries will let you shoot thousands of pictures, they won't do any good if you have limited amount of storage.

Get enough spare batteries.
    If you think that what you have is not enough maybe you might to post a thread asking Clubsnappers if they are willing to loan their spares for a small fee.
    At least you don't have to buy a dozen that you might not need later on.

Now how about extra memory cards?
    Since having spare batteries will let you shoot thousands of pictures, they won't do any good if you have limited amount of storage.
    yeah, memory, i'm thinking to get a data bank. SLS quoted me $210 with a 40GB hard drive. anyone think it's worth ?
    battery... i've bought 1 OEM and another EN-NL3a, now have 2 original and 1 east gear..... wondering is it enough... anyone have better solution ?
    or any DIY AA charger?

I have on a few occassions went backpacking to places which had no readily available of electricity. At that time, I was travelling with a Nikon D100. Consume of battery power by:- a) using viewfinder or EVF, b) rely less on LCD to view, c) use only one short telezoom lens (rely on manual focusing) & d) shoot fine JPEG (not raw). However I still carry about 4 pieces of Li-ion batteries.

In cold environment, batteries do run flat fast. So keeping the batteries close to the body helps. I once went treking in Nepal, and I saw groups of trekkers carrying portable generators. Did manage to charge my batteries then.

Alternatively, use a car-charger to charge batteries (if a jeep or vehicle is provided for the trip). In some rural villages, they have diesel generators. Can use it to charge batteries (but make sure bring universal adapter).

Most important, is still reply on yourself. Recommend that you explore your camera fully, and judge the type of exposure & setting for different lighting situations. Try to rely less on accessing LCD to guide the pictures taken. LCD are power-drainer!!
    Last edited by eric69; 17th August 2005 at 09:13 PM.