Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Feeling Hungry?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    PunggolJetty.Com
    Posts
    867

    Default Feeling Hungry?

    Noob food shots and actually cooked by the photog (moi)! If it makes you hungry, I've achieved my goal. Comments are most welcomed!

    #1 Medium Done Sirloin Steak with Mushroom Sauce


    #2 Golden Chicken Cutlet with Seasonal Veg and Pasta


    Thanks for drooling!
    Kopi Session (when time permits)
    at 100AW, Blk 639, Punggol Drive

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Feeling Hungry?

    not bad, feeling abit hungry but lighting seems abit too harsh and doesn't bring out the food's colours. try side and front lighting instead of lighting angled towards the back also. warm lighting usually works well for food instead of white light, and warm colours do induce hunger btw some food cannot be fully cooked for photographing, especially stuff like beef and brocoli ... any other angles to share?
    Last edited by eikin; 15th August 2005 at 12:55 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    PunggolJetty.Com
    Posts
    867

    Default Re: Feeling Hungry?

    Must be lack of dinner from shooting fireworks!

    Thanks! Agree the light is harsh -- I wanted more glint to make it juicer, but can't get the glint without the blown out areas.

    I don't have another angle, but a different, flatter light. Less glint, but less harsh. PP'd it to try out your warming suggestion. What do you think?

    BTW, everything you see was done less than one min in the pot/pan.

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    not bad, feeling abit hungry but lighting seems abit too harsh and doesn't bring out the food's colours. try side and front lighting instead of lighting angled towards the back also. warm lighting usually works well for food instead of white light, and warm colours do induce hunger btw some food cannot be fully cooked for photographing, especially stuff like beef and brocoli ... any other angles to share?
    #2 Redone...
    Kopi Session (when time permits)
    at 100AW, Blk 639, Punggol Drive

  4. #4

    Default Re: Feeling Hungry?

    i'm no pro at shooting food but the background really matters a lot in bringing out the food, and you should get closer and/or get a different perspective when shooting because these look mighty boring. i apologise if you think my comment is harsh, i really mean no offence, just offering an opinion.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    PunggolJetty.Com
    Posts
    867

    Default Re: Feeling Hungry?

    Don't worry, none taken All & any comments are most welcomed.

    My intention was to set it up like "stock photo" with a blue background that I could edit out and place the dishes in any scene. The backgrounds you see above are all the same and tweaked to give it some depth {i.e. boring}.

    Agree with getting in closer & angle. Now, have to go marketing again....

    Quote Originally Posted by Waffle
    i'm no pro at shooting food but the background really matters a lot in bringing out the food, and you should get closer and/or get a different perspective when shooting because these look mighty boring. i apologise if you think my comment is harsh, i really mean no offence, just offering an opinion.
    Kopi Session (when time permits)
    at 100AW, Blk 639, Punggol Drive

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Feeling Hungry?

    Quote Originally Posted by ykia
    Must be lack of dinner from shooting fireworks!

    Thanks! Agree the light is harsh -- I wanted more glint to make it juicer, but can't get the glint without the blown out areas.
    you need hairspray/gel/lip gloss ... ever wonder why food to be photographed cannot be eaten?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Feeling Hungry?

    just my 2 cents hor....

    i think your camera angle abit wrong... dunno y, just look kinda flat to me, i'd tilt higher... then the lighting abit off, you should have a view of illuminating the subject, den the background off, cos you are trying to bring the subject into the pic, your shadow is too strong in all the pics...

    then your #2 redone have fork & knife coming out of nowhere, kinda spoil the pic... if you wan a partial shot, at least show 1/2 the fork & knife... and the positioning does matters...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Feeling Hungry?

    Quote Originally Posted by ykia
    Don't worry, none taken All & any comments are most welcomed.

    My intention was to set it up like "stock photo" with a blue background that I could edit out and place the dishes in any scene. The backgrounds you see above are all the same and tweaked to give it some depth {i.e. boring}.

    Agree with getting in closer & angle. Now, have to go marketing again....
    for those kind, you can use white as well, most of my pics for such uses white background, with a light from underneath the subject so 0 shadow, den use a small aperture, so that your subject is all sharp (need experience in light control) from the subject, i think f8-16 would be enough, den use light meter to test the light, den have another light from the top will do.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Feeling Hungry?

    May I bollow this thread and share the similar shots ? Hope you don't mind heh.







    Comments welcome

    Cheers!
    Last edited by ST_sg; 15th August 2005 at 03:52 PM.
    Canon 40D|17-55 f/2.8 IS|100 f/2.8 Macro|135 f/2L|300 f/4L IS|430ex|BG-E2

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    PunggolJetty.Com
    Posts
    867

    Default Re: Feeling Hungry?

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    you need hairspray/gel/lip gloss ... ever wonder why food to be photographed cannot be eaten?
    I had to eat mine -- using my fingers to poke/prod it and then take a shot -- ewww. Anyway, if client buys the food, then different story -- I'll even use Shallack
    Kopi Session (when time permits)
    at 100AW, Blk 639, Punggol Drive

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    PunggolJetty.Com
    Posts
    867

    Default Re: Feeling Hungry?

    Thanks DCA!

    Will try it out again. Hmmm... I'm trying to keep lighting and bg to very low cost (<$20, not including existing flash). Need to figure out how to do this for lighting from underneath. Was shooting most of the pics at F/16.

    The fork & knife in #2 Redone was cropped in a hurry as for Eikin to see the flat lighting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    just my 2 cents hor....

    i think your camera angle abit wrong... dunno y, just look kinda flat to me, i'd tilt higher... then the lighting abit off, you should have a view of illuminating the subject, den the background off, cos you are trying to bring the subject into the pic, your shadow is too strong in all the pics...

    then your #2 redone have fork & knife coming out of nowhere, kinda spoil the pic... if you wan a partial shot, at least show 1/2 the fork & knife... and the positioning does matters...
    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    for those kind, you can use white as well, most of my pics for such uses white background, with a light from underneath the subject so 0 shadow, den use a small aperture, so that your subject is all sharp (need experience in light control) from the subject, i think f8-16 would be enough, den use light meter to test the light, den have another light from the top will do.
    Kopi Session (when time permits)
    at 100AW, Blk 639, Punggol Drive

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    PunggolJetty.Com
    Posts
    867

    Default Re: Feeling Hungry?

    I don't mind, but can't see.


    Quote Originally Posted by ST_sg
    May I bollow this thread and share the similar shots ? Hope you don't mind heh.

    Comments welcome

    Cheers!
    Kopi Session (when time permits)
    at 100AW, Blk 639, Punggol Drive

  13. #13

    Default Re: Feeling Hungry?

    Quote Originally Posted by ykia
    I don't mind, but can't see.
    Thanks for the permissions given. Edited the hyperlinks

    Cheers!
    Canon 40D|17-55 f/2.8 IS|100 f/2.8 Macro|135 f/2L|300 f/4L IS|430ex|BG-E2

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default Re: Feeling Hungry?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    just my 2 cents hor....

    i think your camera angle abit wrong... dunno y, just look kinda flat to me, i'd tilt higher... then the lighting abit off, you should have a view of illuminating the subject, den the background off, cos you are trying to bring the subject into the pic, your shadow is too strong in all the pics...

    then your #2 redone have fork & knife coming out of nowhere, kinda spoil the pic... if you wan a partial shot, at least show 1/2 the fork & knife... and the positioning does matters...
    yup...45 to 60 degree is what i usually shoot from. depends on the shape of the plate also, for round plate can shoot up to 90 degree.

    sometimes simple or no blackground may work better...i use a black silky kind of clothes as background and may be make some wavy pattern.

    for lighting, just a direct flash from the front will do, dun really like to have side or back lighting because of the shadows.

    and most importantly, the steak and the cutlet are toooo dark, try use a bigger plate because it looks crowded and messy...for the veggie, leave them uncook. Think u got to work on the overall arrangement also, may be cut open the steak and pour some sause on one side, try to have the main subject near the center. For the cutlet, i will spread them out and not put it like a "stack".

    too bad cannot post my work online, may be next time can show u on my laptop
    Last edited by Wai; 15th August 2005 at 04:17 PM.
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    PunggolJetty.Com
    Posts
    867

    Default Re: Feeling Hungry?

    Thanks Wai! 90 deg ! Time for me to start thinking of a reverse mountable tripod liao!

    I wanted to capture the texture of the food... were you able to do so from a direct front flash?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    yup...45 to 60 degree is what i usually shoot from. depends on the shape of the plate also, for round plate can shoot up to 90 degree.

    sometimes simple or no blackground may work better...i use a black silky kind of clothes as background and may be make some wavy pattern.

    for lighting, just a direct flash from the front will do, dun really like to have side or back lighting because of the shadows.

    and most importantly, the steak and the cutlet are toooo dark, try use a bigger plate because it looks crowded and messy...for the veggie, leave them uncook. Think u got to work on the overall arrangement also, may be cut open the steak and pour some sause on one side, try to have the main subject near the center. For the cutlet, i will spread them out and not put it like a "stack".

    too bad cannot post my work online, may be next time can show u on my laptop
    Kopi Session (when time permits)
    at 100AW, Blk 639, Punggol Drive

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    PunggolJetty.Com
    Posts
    867

    Default Re: Feeling Hungry?

    Quote Originally Posted by ST_sg
    May I bollow this thread and share the similar shots ? Hope you don't mind heh.


    Comments welcome

    Cheers!
    Looks yummy ! And the table settings looks familiar. Thanks for sharing.

    Not quite the look that I wanted to achieve. I need the dishes to be "modular" so that I can plonk them into any backdrop setting (e.g. indoor fine dinning or outdoor al'frasco). Assume the dishes, cutlery & garnishing will be provided, I'll need to ensure the lighting fits the digitally added back drop.
    Kopi Session (when time permits)
    at 100AW, Blk 639, Punggol Drive

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default Re: Feeling Hungry?

    Quote Originally Posted by ykia
    Looks yummy ! And the table settings looks familiar. Thanks for sharing.

    Not quite the look that I wanted to achieve. I need the dishes to be "modular" so that I can plonk them into any backdrop setting (e.g. indoor fine dinning or outdoor al'frasco). Assume the dishes, cutlery & garnishing will be provided, I'll need to ensure the lighting fits the digitally added back drop.
    cutlery add nothings but distraction, so i dont use those for my shot even some clients insists

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Feeling Hungry?

    Quote Originally Posted by ykia
    Looks yummy ! And the table settings looks familiar. Thanks for sharing.

    Not quite the look that I wanted to achieve. I need the dishes to be "modular" so that I can plonk them into any backdrop setting (e.g. indoor fine dinning or outdoor al'frasco). Assume the dishes, cutlery & garnishing will be provided, I'll need to ensure the lighting fits the digitally added back drop.
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=142125

    hmm maybe u wanna check out the pic i taken, anyway, that 1 just a sample, cos i din callibrate my lights, just a slightly stronger flash from bottom den you will get a shadowless effect.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •