Thread: Open University of Uk or University of London?? HELP!!!

Unhappy Open University of Uk or University of London?? HELP!!!

Hi all,

Thinking of getting a degree from the above universities offered in SIM. Heard quite abit about both uni. Now I am stuck between the choices.

Open University of UK

- Catered for working adults
    - Recognised by the SG govt
    - Accepted for emplyment in the govt sector
    - lots of flexibility
    - BUT not very well known

University of London

- 100% exam Based
    - Well Recognised
    - "tough" course as heard from full time students.

Any advise?

Default Re: Open University of Uk or University of London?? HELP!!!

Originally posted by Violett
    Hi all,

Thinking of getting a degree from the above universities offered in SIM. Heard quite abit about both uni. Now I am stuck between the choices.

Open University of UK

- Catered for working adults
    - Recognised by the SG govt
    - Accepted for emplyment in the govt sector
    - lots of flexibility
    - BUT not very well known

University of London

- 100% exam Based
    - Well Recognised
    - "tough" course as heard from full time students.

Any advise?
    Recognised by the SG govt? Maybe not.
    Bear in mind, the degree you receive is a external degree. It stated on the cert itself (especially UK unvi).

(Check with MOE, tell you a trick of doing it - tell them that you're a grad in xx univ, interested in applying a job as a teacher, normally, they will check whether the unvi is recognise in SG to see whether you're Eligible.

Check with any friends who works in the HR dept. They will be able to give a better views. (Different Company have different policy).

Since there are so much external degree program been offered here, lots of companies are filtering out those who study on campus and those who did external one.

Even if you're able to get a job in a company with your ext. cert, the tendency that your pay might be lower compared to a grad who did on campus.

Definitely job opportunity is 1st given to those who did their degree on campus if given that both grad are freash grad. (one studied on campus and the other off campus).

Hope my 2 cents of input helps.

hmm.. some info about the govt recgonition part from open University

"All degrees are validated and awarded by The Open University, UK and are recognised and accepted on par with other British degrees by employers in Singapore. The Prime Minister's Office (Public Service Division) has indicated that it would accept, prima facie, The Open University (UK) degrees for the purpose of employment in the Civil Service. However, individual Ministries have the discretion in setting their own recruitment standards and criteria, depending on organisation needs and ability to attract suitable candidates to fill their vacancies. The Ministry of Education (MOE) will consider emplacing non-graduate Education Officers on the graduate salary scale upon the successful completion of the SIM-Open University Centre (SIM-OUC) degree courses that are recognised by the MOE."

Do you have a dip? What course are you doing? Private companies usually don't care and pay you the same. All boils down to interview. Me went melb uni for a year after dip.

It helps to ask around in the industry which you intend to join!

Originally posted by maddog
    Do you have a dip? What course are you doing? Private companies usually don't care and pay you the same. All boils down to interview. Me went melb uni for a year after dip.
    Yes it is, few years back then when job opportunities are abundunt, but not now, as there are too much graduates around looking for jobs, companies does care and most likely pay will varies!

I do totally agreed to what Adam said, "It helps to ask around in the industry which you intend to join! " This is very important!