Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Snobbish Esplanade?

Originally posted by Kit

You too am not getting my point. Like you said, its interest. Imagine how those people feel when being told to keep their cameras away.
    u appreciate the esplanade less after u were told to keep your camera away?? ermm.... that doesn't sound very fair.

i myself was told off by the security guards when i tried to take a picture of the theatre. but that didn't mean the building was any lousier in any sense. i have mentioned b4 that i think it is dumb, but y let such restrictions cloud your judgement of this beautiful structure?

Originally posted by maddog

There are lots of photographs of the building on this website alone. And why must it be photographed to be successful? As long as it hosts events that people want to pay money for, it will be successful.
    Sorry, I don't get your point. Of coz, a place does not have to be 'photographable' to be successful. But there is really NO REASON for it to have such a restriction on the building compound (e.g. OPEN, PUBLICLY ACCESSIBLE rooftop, courtyard etc). I can understand the ban on videography/photography during performances in the hall (esp. FLASH photography) but this completely baffles me.

Dress code wise, I have no problem. I mean this is a concert hall, you don't go in a concert hall with singlet, shorts and slippers. Does not mean you have to attend concerts with tuxedo or coat shirt and tie of coz, but a certain sense of decorum is obviously needed. So far, I have not seen this happening at concerts at VCH anyway, so I don't think it is an issue. People who attend such concerts usually know what to wear.

And of coz, what you wear has no relation whatsoever to your ability to appreciate the arts.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by denizenx

the fort being the US embassy is nice... can I take a few shots up front? Harmless right just love the texture of the rock and the medieval style window blocks with moveable portculli...

"sorry sir have to take ur film"
    As usual, silly analogies from you. Its an enbassy for crying out loud.

Originally posted by Kit

You too am not getting my point. Like you said, its interest. Imagine how those people feel when being told to keep their cameras away.
    sure they begrudge the durian thugs, but would their impression of the shows or the feel of the place be lessened? I mean besides us casual foto-visitors, not being able to take pictures is not a prereq.
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

Originally posted by Kit

So? It still cost less than 600 million.,
    ?? woah who's asking u to pay 600million to go in? pls debate constructively n not just for the sake of posting

Originally posted by shuy

u appreciate the esplanade less after u were told to keep your camera away?? ermm.... that doesn't sound very fair.

i myself was told off by the security guards when i tried to take a picture of the theatre. but that didn't mean the building was any lousier in any sense. i have mentioned b4 that i think it is dumb, but y let such restrictions cloud your judgement of this beautiful structure?
    That is every bit fair. Have you hear the management spoken?? I have. What they're interested in is to fill up the calendar with what they think might be of interest to people here. Nothing wrong with that though. But I would very much appreciate that they let people decide what their interests are also. That includes accommodating photographing the building.

sure they begrudge the durian thugs, but would their impression of the shows or the feel of the place be lessened? I mean besides us casual foto-visitors, not being able to take pictures is not a prereq.
    This would reveal the mindset the management have on how they're going to run the building. Its not a people's place as they claimed to be anymore.

?? woah who's asking u to pay 600million to go in? pls debate constructively n not just for the sake of posting
    Its you who's not following the discussion. Missing the point completely.

Originally posted by Kit

Its might not be as relevant but its a small gesture as its give the message that art is being encouraged and is not being restricted to any one kind of art.
    i don't think this restricts anyone or anything to any one kind of art. like i said, i think it's logical to be allowed to take photos of the place, and i think it should be allowed soon after the expected protests. an individual might gain abit from photo-taking skills if he's allowed to take photos in the esplanade, but this skill can be nurtured and practised somewhere else. so nothing is really lost.

Originally posted by Kit

As usual, silly analogies from you. Its an enbassy for crying out loud.
    why is it silly? to me it's another pretty building. to a terrorist it's a nice target whether it's an embassy or not. To the security hey it's not only their job, but their lives shd anything go wrong with them still inside.

sometimes seeing on the surface is enough, why read between the lines between the lines? Your intentions and motivations is not universal, nor are they correct all the time. So why argue until u r dry and have to get personal? misplaced pride... whine whine whine...
    if u were so full of angst at the esplanade I think they will really take u down as an assailant.

Originally posted by Kit

Its you who's not following the discussion. Missing the point completely.
    of course i'm missing the point. u aren't making any.

Originally posted by Kit

This would reveal the mindset the management have on how they're going to run the building. Its not a people's place as they claimed to be anymore.
    It is a people's place. Its got 600 free performances.

i don't think this restricts anyone or anything to any one kind of art. like i said, i think it's logical to be allowed to take photos of the place, and i think it should be allowed soon after the expected protests. an individual might gain abit from photo-taking skills if he's allowed to take photos in the esplanade, but this skill can be nurtured and practised somewhere else. so nothing is really lost.
    You still don't get it. Photography skills can be nurtured at any place is one thing. Ever thought why the building attracts so much attention. The images gotten from the building ARE art pieces.

Originally posted by Kit

it's still free to the public rite? besides the ridiculous ban on photography, it's still a totally free place.

of course i'm missing the point. u aren't making any.
    Its not that I'm not making any point. Its you that couldn't grasp them.

stop this thread everyone? let's just go and enjoy ourselves on saturday night/evening. Hey if they really bar people from shooting outdoors that night then we swarm them and throw them into the bay!

it's still free to the public rite? besides the ridiculous ban on photography, it's still a totally free place.
    How can a public place be considered totally free when you can't even photograph it??

Originally posted by Kit

You still don't get it. Photography skills can be nurtured at any place is one thing. Ever thought why the building attracts so much attention. The images gotten from the building ARE art pieces.
    yes, they are art pieces. n so are many other places and buildings in singapore. u can easily find another location to hone your shooting skills. that's my point.

stop this thread everyone? let's just go and enjoy ourselves on saturday night/evening. Hey if they really bar people from shooting outdoors that night then we swarm them and throw them into the bay!
    Best post I've seen so far from you. Keep it up.

Originally posted by Kit

what? even the one that I accidentally exposed while changing rolls?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast