Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Snobbish Esplanade?

Originally posted by shuy

yup, it's fine to see outdoor performances in berms. outdoor performances r meant to be less formal in the first place.

i'd like to think the esplanade was about its magnificent theatres, not the open spaces.
    Any good public should have a considerable amount of spaces for the public. Period.

Originally posted by Goondu

But then again, the late Mr Ong Teng Cheong would never imagine the 911 disaster when he proposed the project.

The threats are real, that is for sure, remember the videotaping of the Yishun MRT? What about the more recent MOE building?

Risks? Would you risk that?
    u can't stop the risk unless u stop building buildings

Try look at it from the sky lobby or get an site plan of the development and you'll realise how little open space there are.
    yeps i know. certain areas within the building is quite small. however, i think the two main halls are built which both maximises the seating capacity w/o compromising the accoustic/technical blah blah.

But then again, the late Mr Ong Teng Cheong would never imagine the 911 disaster when he proposed the project.

The threats are real, that is for sure, remember the videotaping of the Yishun MRT? What about the more recent MOE building?

Risks? Would you risk that?
    But would you like to see them close down Yishun MRT because of this??

u have to pay money to watch certain kinds of art. artists need to eat too u know
    I said paying silly money, doesn't means its going to be free for all. For goodness people, read carefully before you reply.

kit cool down... ur'e overreaching overheating becos of our recent spat...
    dun argue just to argue.
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

Originally posted by Kit

Any good public should have a considerable amount of spaces for the public. Period.
    i guess it's more out of space constraint than anything else. maybe they can start reclaiming land if it's so impt. my guess is it's not, and the building itself is great piece of art imo. u never know what tradeoffs there might be for having increased space, and i'm sure the designers would've thought it all out. it's abit unfair to criticize the durian just like that.

Originally posted by denizenx

LAST PIECE lol:

well I did suggest to my friend why not perform his friends' self-funded experimental chinese opera/orchestra stuff in tour at various CCs? Those are cheap and strike right into the heartland all over singapore, and the larger ones have great halls. And directly to the youths who are the primary target for exposure.
    "Please, the performers/audience also don't want to go there." There is a negative connotation. Not enough "feel". They rather spent more renting Victoria Theatre.
    Come on, I am not rooting for them. I am just saying this is the current view of the Admin there (durian sellers). I have not defended their choice of having exclusivity, but that the select high brow performers invited currently expect some form of classss. And therefore to watch them you HAVE to dress nice.
    Opera is viewed as art but is it so to the auntie? I think it's just another show to her, much like the soap on TV.
    In 2-5 years the operational model of the durian will change, from the original elitist/grandiose version to a mass appeal, commercial approach. Maybe then u can shoot all you want there, with the foodcourts, shopping malls and whatnots.

WAH u guys flying too fast... LOL
    come on, world class or not we are still singaporean in mindset. I f wwe have to catch up we will, but always in our own style.
    Its really sad that many people think artform is only for a particular group of people and out of reach for the masses. No wonder they need a 600 million building to boost the arts scene, how sad. Throwing money at arts thinking it'll be better. What's more sad? Its not going to happen.

Originally posted by denizenx
    kit cool down... ur'e overreaching overheating becos of our recent spat...
    dun argue just to argue.
    Arguing for the sake of arguing? I don't remember you rebating to any of my points at all. Hang on........... I don't remember you getting any of my points either.

Originally posted by Kit

I said paying silly money, doesn't means its going to be free for all. For goodness people, read carefully before you reply.
    'paying silly money' is terribly subjective. notice i left it out in my post. how much u r willing to spend is based on, among LOADS of other factors (like income), how much u can appreciate the performance and derive enjoyment from it. a non-chinese speaking person may not be willing to watch a chinese pop extravaganza for $50, cos he prob wouldn't enjoy it much. others would think it's a steal.

i therefore do not quite understand your point.

i guess it's more out of space constraint than anything else. maybe they can start reclaiming land if it's so impt. my guess is it's not, and the building itself is great piece of art imo. u never know what tradeoffs there might be for having increased space, and i'm sure the designers would've thought it all out. it's abit unfair to criticize the durian just like that.
    Its not about land constraint at all. Its about how land is being used most efficiently.

Originally posted by Kit

But would you like to see them close down Yishun MRT because of this??
    Of course not, just like the durians.

Have you seen the reply from MOE? Step up security? Individual camera system on every floor?

Therefore, I understand that the management need to beef up the security, hence the unpleasant encounter with the security. The method employs by the management may not be the best, but I feel that they still have to carry out their tasks.

Like you said, this is a 600 million building.

Originally posted by Kit

Its really sad that many people think artform is only for a particular group of people and out of reach for the masses. No wonder they need a 600 million building to boost the arts scene, how sad. Throwing money at arts thinking it'll be better. What's more sad? Its not going to happen.
    Why do you keep saying arts is out of reach for the masses? Instead of condemning a move to improve the arts scene, why not suggest one? A 600 million dollar building might not bring instant results but it is a great step in the right direction.

'paying silly money' is terribly subjective. notice i left it out in my post. how much u r willing to spend is based on, among LOADS of other factors (like income), how much u can appreciate the performance and derive enjoyment from it. a non-chinese speaking person may not be willing to watch a chinese pop extravaganza for $50, cos he prob wouldn't enjoy it much. others would think it's a steal.

i therefore do not quite understand your point.
    You got me wrong. Maybe I wasn't clear. When I said paying silly money, I don't mean art is not worth what is costs. Yes, its subjective. What might be acceptable to you might not be the case to me. We all choose our own art.

Maybe can do a poll titled "Will the durian succeed as an art centre?"

Originally posted by Kit

what the arts scene needs is a guarantee that there is a financial future for them if they pursue such a career. i think what the govt is trying to do is pledging money to the arts industry to assure these people.

money can't directly make people art appreciators. nor can anything else. it comes from within the person itself. these things take time to nurture and develop. while building a fancy theatre will not make people arty-farty, it is definitely a step in the right direction by laying the groundwork.

Originally posted by maddog

Why do you keep saying arts is out of reach for the masses? Instead of condemning a move to improve the arts scene, why not suggest one? A 600 million dollar building might not bring instant results but it is a great step in the right direction.
    I'm NOT condemning the motive of building a venuw for promoting arts. Again, you've failed to grasp the point. My issue is with the management building a veil over a building that's meant to be for the masses. A 600 million will not be any leap into any direction if the building is not used wisely.

ah but will the masses respond?
    having a showpiece flagship whatever increase interest just by presence alone. Having the durian so big hypes itself.
    People will think cool we have a white elephant this time for Art. Then they will see what's going on there. Then they will go on to see what else can be done. And those art lovers in potentia will spawn. And those who think it's still a white elephant will carry on their lives.
    Kit would you have taken up photography if you hadn't seen a really nice shot, or maybe the F3HPXYZ and wondered what diff it makes to a shot?
    throwing a lot of money anywhere will incur many ppl's interest. the rest is up to them.
    so how did we get here from wondering why isn't photography allowed, to arguing about open spaces and sound quality and such?

Anyway the Kallang Indoor theatre was the first version of the esplanade. It bombed because it wasn't big enough nor small enough for big events and small indies.
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

Of course not, just like the durians.

Have you seen the reply from MOE? Step up security? Individual camera system on every floor?

Therefore, I understand that the management need to beef up the security, hence the unpleasant encounter with the security. The method employs by the management may not be the best, but I feel that they still have to carry out their tasks.

Like you said, this is a 600 million building.
    Yes and let's start using the 600 million building shall we?

Originally posted by Kit

Its not about land constraint at all. Its about how land is being used most efficiently.
    so u feel having hectares of open space is more efficient than having a theatre on top of it? remember, the more open space u propose, the less space the structures will have.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast