Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 149

Thread: Snobbish Esplanade?

  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Alpha Centuari
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Originally posted by Kit


    Yes, they're different. Should the durians be equipped to cater for a single artform or be a well rounded venue? I think the answer is pretty darn obvious.
    well, i think art is too broad to be fitted into 1 building. practicality has to come to play here as well. it does have an outdoor theatre for outdoor performances, but it can't have a special street for street buskers, right? or even caricature artists. these belong to the real streets themselves, and i mean that in a totally respectful way. in fact, street busking is regarded as a normal job in places like paris and perth. it's just that it doesn't quite fit into the esplanade's setup.

  2. #42

    Default

    Originally posted by shuy


    well, i think art is too broad to be fitted into 1 building. practicality has to come to play here as well. it does have an outdoor theatre for outdoor performances, but it can't have a special street for street buskers, right? or even caricature artists. these belong to the real streets themselves, and i mean that in a totally respectful way. in fact, street busking is regarded as a normal job in places like paris and perth. it's just that it doesn't quite fit into the esplanade's setup.
    I also wonder who would pay good money to watch a busker at esplanade.

  3. #43
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default

    Originally posted by denizenx


    I only said some art, not ALL art, has to be performed in exquisite theatres.
    I knew you were in constructions. Hence the examples. I only need to know enough, not everything about the building. Trying to sound like a crappy spy movie, I just need shots of where to go and where to get out.
    Why is the HDB buidling so grand?
    If the quality vs sustainability of life in an immediate sense is in question, I'll let you out next time. LOL
    That's why I said is the building going to cater to the very few form of arts or be an all-rounded venue.

    Granted, the building with it radical design will attract some unwanted attention but is it appropriate to sacrifice the freedom of the majority for a few disturbed individuals? That's not a good reason for stupid restrictions. If that's how its being done, then it shows the incompetence of the security management of the building.

    HBD flats are anything but grand(grand in quantity maybe), they're a pragmatic solution to house 85% of the population.

  4. #44

    Default

    it's just that it doesn't quite fit into the esplanade's setup.
    its too early to say what might or might not fit. the area along the singapore river is and most probably a good place for them to have street artists. they even let la salle students do street "chalk" art there during the open house.

    i feel that we are not even giving that durians a chance to shine before it's even officially opened and some even condemn it to eternal hell. give those durians a break!

  5. #45
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default

    Originally posted by shuy


    well, i think art is too broad to be fitted into 1 building. practicality has to come to play here as well. it does have an outdoor theatre for outdoor performances, but it can't have a special street for street buskers, right? or even caricature artists. these belong to the real streets themselves, and i mean that in a totally respectful way. in fact, street busking is regarded as a normal job in places like paris and perth. it's just that it doesn't quite fit into the esplanade's setup.
    Like I said, why would anything be done within the building??? Ever seen outdoor performances? Those you can see while still wearing bermudas.

    Fact is the 2 durians is just too big for a 6 hectare site. Little has been give to open spaces which incidentally, what esplanade is all about.

  6. #46
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default

    Originally posted by maddog


    I also wonder who would pay good money to watch a busker at esplanade.
    You don't have to pay silly money to watch art.

  7. #47

    Default

    HBD flats are anything but grand(grand in quantity maybe), they're a pragmatic solution to house 85% of the population.
    i think he was refering to the hdb HQ at toa payoh.

    as for those photographic restrictions...i would think they are so hard on that is that the building itself is not complete and mabbe after this weekend, it wouldn't be restricted cept during performances coz it makes no sense.

  8. #48
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default

    Originally posted by Jimmy Liew


    i think he was refering to the hdb HQ at toa payoh.

    as for those photographic restrictions...i would think they are so hard on that is that the building itself is not complete and mabbe after this weekend, it wouldn't be restricted cept during performances coz it makes no sense.
    Not a good arguement at all. I've mentioned this before. The management of the Federation Square has been organising site tours for the public even when its under construction. Objective is to establish a relationship between the building and the public before its even open.

  9. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Alpha Centuari
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Originally posted by Jimmy Liew


    its too early to say what might or might not fit. the area along the singapore river is and most probably a good place for them to have street artists. they even let la salle students do street "chalk" art there during the open house.

    i feel that we are not even giving that durians a chance to shine before it's even officially opened and some even condemn it to eternal hell. give those durians a break!
    singapore river is a great place for buskers, but not the esplanade itself.

    i dunno how u can condemn a performance theatre like esplanade cos it doesn't house 'all the art forms'. i'm proud of it as a singaporean and it rivals the best like the sydney opera house in terms of accuracy of sound reproduction, and other fancy technical details. it has no reason to have an answer to other art forms like street busking cos they hardly have any relation to each other.

  10. #50

    Default

    fact is the 2 durians is just too big for a 6 hectare site. Little has been give to open spaces which incidentally, what esplanade is all about.
    i think they took liberty with the name "esplanade" but why would u say its too big for the site?

  11. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Alpha Centuari
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Originally posted by Kit


    Like I said, why would anything be done within the building??? Ever seen outdoor performances? Those you can see while still wearing bermudas.

    Fact is the 2 durians is just too big for a 6 hectare site. Little has been give to open spaces which incidentally, what esplanade is all about.
    yup, it's fine to see outdoor performances in berms. outdoor performances r meant to be less formal in the first place.

    i'd like to think the esplanade was about its magnificent theatres, not the open spaces.

  12. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,292

    Default

    Originally posted by Kit
    ...

    High brow? High art? That's a highly snobbish remark from somebody that has totally missed the point of having an arts facility here. You've got to understand that no amount of money spent on hardware is going to make Singapore more "artistic". Not even 600 million. I don't think the late Mr. Ong Teng Cheong had that in mind too when he proposed the project. ....

    But then again, the late Mr Ong Teng Cheong would never imagine the 911 disaster when he proposed the project.

    The threats are real, that is for sure, remember the videotaping of the Yishun MRT? What about the more recent MOE building?

    Risks? Would you risk that?

  13. #53
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default

    Originally posted by shuy


    singapore river is a great place for buskers, but not the esplanade itself.

    i dunno how u can condemn a performance theatre like esplanade cos it doesn't house 'all the art forms'. i'm proud of it as a singaporean and it rivals the best like the sydney opera house in terms of accuracy of sound reproduction, and other fancy technical details. it has no reason to have an answer to other art forms like street busking cos they hardly have any relation to each other.
    It costs 600 million. Would you expect anything less??? Accuracy of sound reproduction is a must, not a priviledge.

  14. #54
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Alpha Centuari
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Originally posted by Kit


    You don't have to pay silly money to watch art.
    u have to pay money to watch certain kinds of art. artists need to eat too u know

  15. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    L2TPYSG
    Posts
    4,057

    Default

    Originally posted by Kit


    Yes, they're different. Should the durians be equipped to cater for a single artform or be a well rounded venue? I think the answer is pretty darn obvious.
    LAST PIECE lol:

    well I did suggest to my friend why not perform his friends' self-funded experimental chinese opera/orchestra stuff in tour at various CCs? Those are cheap and strike right into the heartland all over singapore, and the larger ones have great halls. And directly to the youths who are the primary target for exposure.
    "Please, the performers/audience also don't want to go there." There is a negative connotation. Not enough "feel". They rather spent more renting Victoria Theatre.
    Come on, I am not rooting for them. I am just saying this is the current view of the Admin there (durian sellers). I have not defended their choice of having exclusivity, but that the select high brow performers invited currently expect some form of classss. And therefore to watch them you HAVE to dress nice.
    Opera is viewed as art but is it so to the auntie? I think it's just another show to her, much like the soap on TV.
    In 2-5 years the operational model of the durian will change, from the original elitist/grandiose version to a mass appeal, commercial approach. Maybe then u can shoot all you want there, with the foodcourts, shopping malls and whatnots.

    WAH u guys flying too fast... LOL
    come on, world class or not we are still singaporean in mindset. I f wwe have to catch up we will, but always in our own style.
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

  16. #56

    Default

    Federation Square has been organising site tours for the public even when its under construction. Objective is to establish a relationship between the building and the public before its even open.
    well wouldn't it be nice if the management of federation square manages esplanade too? diff management has different views. one does it one way doesn't mean its right.

  17. #57
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default

    Originally posted by Jimmy Liew


    i think they took liberty with the name "esplanade" but why would u say its too big for the site?
    Try look at it from the sky lobby or get an site plan of the development and you'll realise how little open space there are.

  18. #58
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Alpha Centuari
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Originally posted by Kit


    It costs 600 million. Would you expect anything less??? Accuracy of sound reproduction is a must, not a priviledge.
    for 600mil of taxpayer's money, i'd expect no less as u said. such great qualities still are worth being proud of, right? it's commendable that the govt took the risk to pour this amt of money into the arts scene, which has questionable financial returns.

  19. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,464

    Default

    Originally posted by shuy

    i feel what u said has some truth, but it's an exaggerated stereotype of the social elite. many do really appreciate art, though some r just wannabes. and u gotta understand it's this atereotyped view that causes any social elitist trying to pick up art and music as a hobby to be branded as a poseur. c'mon man, what's wrong with that?
    nothing. that's why i said SOME members of the social elite. I'm responding to earlier posts about the need to dress up and to that letter in the newspaper.


    art has many forms, and in my vocab, classes. from street busking to classical orchestras. many truly talented people look and act peculiar, that i don't deny. but nobody's crisicizing them or belittling them, so there's no need to defend them. what i feel is that the durians were constructed primarily for a (again in my vocab) higher class of art. not higher as in better, but i use that word as it sufficiently describes the forms of art i'm talking about, like classical music and opera. the durians therefore naturally houses the people who appreciate (or try to) this category of art. so what's the fuss? it's just different. nobody's saying it's better or worse than the street circus performers from china or the chinese operas at void decks.
    i can see where u're coming from, but i'm skeptical that a spanking expensive new building will revive or increase interests in the higher form of arts as you put it. Time will prove if i am right or wrong......

    worse if an atmosphere of pretense is imposed on audiences attending shows there.

    i'm quite certain, however, it will be a new breeding hive for glitzy social bees to hub around exchanging honey......

    maybe i shouldn't say too much. i plan to catch Singing in the Rain there myself, being a musical buff.
    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

  20. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    L2TPYSG
    Posts
    4,057

    Default

    my that friend said there was to be an additional third of design cut out for budgeting? It's the piece of forest next to the durians...
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •