Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help recommend a DSLR

Default Re: Help recommend a DSLR

Quote Originally Posted by peppercrab1
    all along my p&s cams have been fuji......
    Hi peppercrab1
    Same as u here another pns camera user myself
    if faster af and high usable iso is not the issue
    i'll stick with my Pns...remember getting the dslr body is just the beginning ...the hell(buy buy buy bug) came after that
    头可断,血可流,倩女不可不追求 carpe diem,when in doubt, hoot first,apologise later:p GALLERY

Quote Originally Posted by eow
    Hi peppercrab1
    Same as u here another pns camera user myself
    if faster af and high usable iso is not the issue
    i'll stick with my Pns...remember getting the dslr body is just the beginning ...the hell(buy buy buy bug) came after that
    nice gallery you have there, EOW.
    What's your 'weapon' of choice?

For /daylight/Infra-red photography/sport/action fz1v2
    For /still shot/night scenery/ a510
    both cameras doesn't work well in dim lighting...however
    if use pre-focus with flash for both my fz1v2 and manual focus for a510 for shots in total darkness it work well.
    Last edited by eow; 15th August 2005 at 11:59 PM.
    头可断,血可流,倩女不可不追求 carpe diem,when in doubt, hoot first,apologise later:p GALLERY

I'm new here and was advised by my friends to solicit advice from the CSers here on what I have shortlisted.
    My preference is on the colors with minimal PSing as I'm also new to it and I really want to avoid spending hours on post-processing ie PS due to time constraints.
    I've been using Canon 300D with Tamron 28-74 F2.8 lens. I never have to adjust contrast, color, brightness, sharpness, etc. only resizing or cropping. Pictures coming out straight from the camera is to my liking in terms of contrast, colors, sharpness, etc.

i suggest you look at PnS 1st. get one of those which gives u full manual control.
    Try shoot only in Aperture piority, or or full manual. sooner or later, you will face limits on your PnS. It is then you will know why you need dSLR. It would be then you understand why people want different lens. Why high ISO performance is really desirable. Why F2.8 is much better than a F4.5

Jumping into the deep end of the pool in this instance won't be beneficial to you at all. highly likely you're just gonna drown. And unlikely you're ever going to truly appreciate the benefits of various features of the dSLR.

My 2 cents..

back...

... continued from previous post.

... not fully grasp the technical aspects of photography. e.g.: why do people buy a f/2.8 lens instead of a cheaper f/4?

There are a lot of good suggestions since this morning. Try joining an outing 1st, I'm sure your buddies here will let u hold a DSLR and see how it feel like. Remember, buying a DSLR is not only buying the body. you're buying a system. Do not only look at the body. It's the lens that matter most, & many people fail to realise that.

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Try joining an outing 1st, I'm sure your buddies here will let u hold a DSLR and see how it feel like. Remember, buying a DSLR is not only buying the body. you're buying a system. Do not only look at the body. It's the lens that matter most, & many people fail to realise that.
    ya, you guys could be right. I might hold off the dslr thingy for awhile and look for a used S7000 to play with. All of you have been a tremendous help. without your advice, I would have plunged blindly into a bottomless pit of the buy, buy, buy fever.

No regrets in soliciting inputs from you all.....Thanks!

In fact, I have never expected this thread to go beyond 1 page.
    If you have other advice/comments, you are more than welcome to post them here.

without your advice, I would have plunged blindly into a bottomless pit of the buy, buy, buy fever.

BUY BUY BUY

Talking Re: Help recommend a DSLR

Actually my advice is very simple.. Why spend so much on a brand camera body and so much on lenes/glasses with IS/VR/AS just to have a photo taken and have a frustration to do many PSing? Just buy the one whichever suits your needs. If color is a concern, just buy other good PNS with good color reproduction. If you are looking beyond that (heading DSLR), I see most of the replies here do help abit. Good luck with your purchase...

You mean there are people renting out DSLRs ? Where?
    Just go on CS outings. I'm sure got some people who don't mind just lending you their DSLRs for testing. So far, got a few guys show me the power of 10D liao.

Maybe try a Fujifilm prosumer camera before really plunging into the dSLR thing? There is a 9MP prosumer just out right? It has a lot of features like an entry level dSLR, just that it has a fixed lense. Isn't that better?

For me, I changed to a dSLR only after my 9th P&S digicam...
    From Pentax to 4/3, back to Pentax and then back to M4/3 !?!?

Or get a 2nd hand Panasonic P&S like FZ10/20 to try out and sell when you learn more about Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority and Manual ...

works for me

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123